ADVERTISEMENT

What needs to happen to become elite:

You realize not one single point you made had anything to do with getting elite talent? To become elite PSU needs more elite players, it's not complicated. We need a few more WR's, better CBs and better safety's. If we had them yesterday, in spite of all the sloppy play, we win the game. PSU had over 500 yards in offense and 25 first downs; the defense did a pretty good job on slowing down the run game. We had two god awful plays in pass coverage that resulted in long TDs and that was the ball game.
Yup. You want to be Alabama, Clemson, LSU, or OSU. They all have QBs who are Heisman candidates. As improved as our roster is, it’s not elite so not sure why fans are expecting an elite team. Take a look at the DBs on Alabama and LSU.

I like Clifford but put any of those QBs on PSU and we win easily even with our coaches

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Absolutely this.

It’s not hard. This blue chip ratio crap misleads, because it treats all blue chippers equally. We need Justin Shorter to play to his potential. We need DTs that can get penetration consistently. We need guys like Rucci in the O-line. And we need big and athletic DBs. Ohio State has that. We have a few game-changing talents — Parsons, Hamler, eventually Ford/Cain, etc. But we lag considerably behind Ohio State and LSU and Clemson in that department.

We need more classes in the top-5. It’s amazing how that kind of talent makes coaches look a whole lot better.
Right now the only glaring weakness I see is at DB, but overall I agree with your point.

And we are light years ahead of where we were when Franklin arrived.

Why the name calling? Read above, I don’t resort to that!
You happy with the status quo?
Cuz, I sure as hell ain’t!
I see perennial 2-3 loss seasons if MAJOR changes aren’t made.
I’ll take 10-2 every year with an occasional 9-3....unless we’re willing to make some changes to do things only a few other schools do to get to the level you want and I’m not ready to do that. Do you really think some of these football factories would have suspended players before key games for what they did like Franklin has? No way. When Chase Young is on the field against us, tell me the two programs aren’t different in a bad way.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Right now the only glaring weakness I see is at DB, but overall I agree with your point.

And we are light years ahead of where we were when Franklin arrived.

Yep, and that deserves attention.

5 or so years after sanctions, we are completing our third straight top-10ish class. That’s incredible. But still lags behind the elite.

We are absolutely moving in the right direction. Need proof? People are offing themselves because we are 8-1. That alone is a remarkable demonstration of how far we have come.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Yup. You want to be Alabama, Clemson, LSU, or OSU. They all have QBs who are Heisman candidates. As improved as our roster is, it’s not elite so not sure why fans are expecting an elite team. Take a look at the DBs on Alabama and LSU.

I like Clifford but put any of those QBs on PSU and we win easily even with our coaches

Which DBs, the ones that gave 400 yds to a one legged Bama QB or the Bama DBs who got shredded by LSU?

Which DBs, the ones that gave 400 yds to a one legged Bama QB or the Bama DBs who got shredded by LSU?

LSU DBs are the NFL prototype. Guys like Stingley and Delpit are the kinds of talents that can get us to that next tier. Much respect to Reid and TCF and the like, but those LSU and Bama DBs are a different breed.

In all honesty, looking at this season’s road schedule, if we finish 10-2, with a first years starter at QB, that’s pretty darn respectable. Seriously, in AUG, did any PSU alum, fan, homer, etc. really think we were going to play at Iowa at night, at MSU, at Minnesota, and at Ohio State, and not lose 1 or 2 of those games? With a new starter at QB, freshman all over the field, etc.? If we win out at home, and finish 10-2, though we will have failed in 2 of the only 3 metrics that matter, I think that still beats expectations for 2019. JMO.

In all honesty, looking at this season’s road schedule, if we finish 10-2, with a first years starter at QB, that’s pretty darn respectable. Seriously, in AUG, did any PSU alum, fan, homer, etc. really think we were going to play at Iowa at night, at MSU, at Minnesota, and at Ohio State, and not lose 1 or 2 of those games? With a new starter at QB, freshman all over the field, etc.? If we win out at home, and finish 10-2, though we will have failed in 2 of the only 3 metrics that matter, I think that still beats expectations for 2019. JMO.
Also no one expected Minnesota and Indiana to be as good as they are so I would say our schedule ended up being more difficult than it appeared preseason

I don’t think we’ll ever become elite with fans and alumni who look like us.

1. Fire Rahne- he’s had 23 games to show improvement, and NOTHING!
2. Switch Defensive scheme - I’m tired of soft zone, and CBs playing 7-10 yards off of the LOS! Our D is consistently gashed by a 5th string transfer from IUP, because of our lousy Defensive scheme. I’d take Narduzzi’s scheme in a second over ours.
3. End the RPO immediately! This offense has lost us more close games, then it has won us!
4. See #2! Put Pry in a short leash! If you don’t stop getting picked apart by 7th string QBs.....buh-Bye!!!
5. Have the new OC design plays to get playmakers in space!
6. Have a feature stud RB, that gets 20 carries/game!
7. Implement OL zone blocking on certain plays, to get said stud RB(s) in space.
8. Don’t play down to our opponents/keep your foot on the gas! Ohio State would hang 50+ on these clowns we played today(and only allow 10-13, because the don’t play pu$$y-esque soft zone)!
9. Give Franklin endless funds to hire competent assistants! He has 3-4 years to make the playoffs, or he’s gone. I don’t care about anything else, his #1 priority is to win!

I have a better idea. Let’s hire you in the dual capacity of AD and head coach. That way PSU football will never lose again since you have all the answers. What a clown post.

Reactions: Nitt1300
I’ll take 10-2 every year with an occasional 9-3....unless we’re willing to make some changes to do things only a few other schools do to get to the level you want and I’m not ready to do that. Do you really think some of these football factories would have suspended players before key games for what they did like Franklin has? No way. When Chase Young is on the field against us, tell me the two programs aren’t different in a bad way.

As you can see from other posters, Im not the only one who is not content with 10-2 , top 10 finish, and New Years 6. Many fans want to get into the final 4 and have a chance to win the championship. Just Sayin ... now you can call me a little whiny biaaatch...

Reactions: wcg207 and RTRMR
You’d think this was the third loss of the year to a less than .500 team. The same sad sacks complaining are the ones that were telling me back in August we didn’t have a chance at double digit wins. Now all of a sudden we have to fire everyone and get a new scheme. Btw, is OSU elite? The Purdue and Iowa teams they lost definitely weren’t elite the last two years. How about 5 years ago when they lost to VT at home? How’d that season end for them?
So I think the OP is being absurd. Put Pry on a short leash? Scrap the entire offense? Lol. At the end of the day, we’ve had a nice season and only a loss to IU would change that.

BUT, many of the usual suspects (not necessarily you) talking about how this team has overachieved and downplaying yesterday’s loss are the same ones who savaged anyone predicting 9-3 or 8-4 this summer. Can’t have it both ways. You don’t get to call sportswriters idiots for predicting PSU to lose a few games and then say PSU is overachieving because they’re doing better than those predictions.

Yesterday was a bad loss and yet another one with an array of head scratching decisions from Rahne and our defense making a decent QB look like Joe Montana. You can be a huge Franklin fan (I am) and still recognize that for as good of shape as the program is in, we have the same issues on game day over and over.

Reactions: ftlpsu
As you can see from other posters, Im not the only one who is not content with 10-2 , top 10 finish, and New Years 6. Many fans want to get into the final 4 and have a chance to win the championship. Just Sayin ... now you can call me a little whiny biaaatch...
We all want the final four. The difference is most of us can still enjoy a very good 10-2 season and have enough perspective to realize Franklin is a great fit for PSU

We all want the final four. The difference is most of us can still enjoy a very good 10-2 season and have enough perspective to realize Franklin is a great fit for PSU

I like Franklin and 100% agree he is good for PSU. Great Face for the Program, recruiter, and when he steps to the mic he is very good. He is not without criticism...He is not a good game day coach... Duzz is better, Dantonio is better...Fleck is better... He is a top 20 game day coach. Off the field... I think he is top 3 and am hard pressed to find an off the field coach who is a better representative for a university.

That said, you are measured by wins and losses on the field. Franklin deserves every bit of criticism for his in game coaching.

Reactions: wcg207
So put in your resume and take Franklin’s job (should be easy with all your expertise) or donate a shit ton of money so we can upgrade the facilities. Do something meaningful to make positive changes.

So put in your resume and take Franklin’s job (should be easy with all your expertise) or donate a shit ton of money so we can upgrade the facilities. Do something meaningful to make positive changes.

You forgot to call me a little whiny biaaatch..

What needs to happen to be elite? Your guy can't be tackled by the turf monster going in for the winning score.

I like Franklin and 100% agree he is good for PSU. Great Face for the Program, recruiter, and when he steps to the mic he is very good. He is not without criticism...He is not a good game day coach... Duzz is better, Dantonio is better...Fleck is better... He is a top 20 game day coach. Off the field... I think he is top 3 and am hard pressed to find an off the field coach who is a better representative for a university.

That said, you are measured by wins and losses on the field. Franklin deserves every bit of criticism for his in game coaching.

Now that is funny. If we only had the number of nattys or even the record as the coaches you listed.
Last years coaching wish list by the board famboys.
2018 2019 2020
1. Babers Fleck hottest midseason coach
2. Brohm Rhule
125 Babers
126 Brohm

2. Switch Defensive scheme - I’m tired of soft zone, and CBs playing 7-10 yards off of the LOS! Our D is consistently gashed by a 5th string transfer from IUP, because of our lousy Defensive scheme. I’d take Narduzzi’s scheme in a second over ours.
3. End the RPO immediately! This offense has lost us more close games, then it has won us!
4. See #2! Put Pry in a short leash! If you don’t stop getting picked apart by 7th string QBs.....buh-Bye!!!
7. Implement OL zone blocking on certain plays, to get said stud RB(s) in space.
8. Don’t play down to our opponents/keep your foot on the gas! Ohio State would hang 50+ on these clowns we played today(and only allow 10-13, because the don’t play pu$$y-esque soft zone)!
9. Give Franklin endless funds to hire competent assistants! He has 3-4 years to make the playoffs, or he’s gone. I don’t care about anything else, his #1 priority is to win!
Makes sense to fire the OC when you have nearly 600 yards offense in a loss. We also need to get a coach who teaches his QB not to throw interceptions.

Or we could just win our next 4 games.

Please forward this to Franklin.....he needs help.

Now that is funny. If we only had the number of nattys or even the record as the coaches you listed.
Last years coaching wish list by the board famboys.
2018 2019 2020
1. Babers Fleck hottest midseason coach
2. Brohm Rhule
125 Babers
126 Brohm

I think Duzz, Dantonio, and Fleck are better game day coaches. Taking less talent and employing great scheme to compete with a more talented team. Its just my opinion... I dislike all three of these guys... certainly Dantonio and Duzz and am glad Franklin is our coach....

I think Duzz, Dantonio, and Fleck are better game day coaches. Taking less talent and employing great scheme to compete with a more talented team. Its just my opinion... I dislike all three of these guys... certainly Dantonio and Duzz and am glad Franklin is our coach....

What impresses you most about Dantonio? His blowing a 21 pt lead at home to Illinois yesterday or his 4-5 reord?
How about Narduzzi? His ability to lose 3 or 4 games to bad teams every year?
And Fleck, was it his 7-6 record last year or his 6-7 record the year before? Noting the fact he took over a team that won 8 games the year before.

Go to the ACC where you have only one team to beat and possibly better officiating

What impresses you most about Dantonio? His blowing a 21 pt lead at home to Illinois yesterday or his 4-5 reord?
And Fleck, was it his 7-6 record last year or his 6-7 record the year before? Noting the fact he took over a team that won 8 games the year before.
Go to the ACC where you have only one team to beat and possibly better officiating
One thing is certain....every PSU loss is either the fault of the coaches or the officials.

Hey, One more Purdue victory and we resurrect the Jeff Brohm is a genius club! LOL

You bring up a very interesting point. Just how far does a coach and school want to push that envelope to win a NC? Just imagine right now if Penn State had Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence and Jerome Lacy on the roster. The margin of victories over the past eight games would have been profoundly bigger. You would have destroyed Minnesota yesterday and just might be a pick em bet against OSU. But as you noted in your post, that comes with a price and not every school is willing to risk their reputation. Coach Franklin is trying to get to the dance doing it the right way which almost always divides a fan base. I do understand both sides of the argument.

Officials never err anywhere except vs PSU? LOL part of the game. Great teams overcome adversity.

While this is true, what if Clemson had two very questionable calls go against them in the last 3 plays of their 1 pt win vs UNC? To act like these things don't have a large impact on games is disingenious. Sure, PSU could have played much, much better. If the OPI is not called and PSU scores, people would have a very different take on the game and team.

You bring up a very interesting point. Just how far does a coach and school want to push that envelope to win a NC? Just imagine right now if Penn State had Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence and Jerome Lacy on the roster. The margin of victories over the past eight games would have been profoundly bigger. You would have destroyed Minnesota yesterday and just might be a pick em bet against OSU. But as you noted in your post, that comes with a price and not every school is willing to risk their reputation. Coach Franklin is trying to get to the dance doing it the right way which almost always divides a fan base. I do understand both sides of the argument.
I'll take 10-2 or 9-3 every year and have a program with kids we can be proud of. I don't understand PSU fans who want to win every game regardless of character, discipline or academics. You can find a team to cheer for in the NFL if that is your preference. Anyone check out the "Academic" standouts yesterday in the LSU vs Alabama game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT