ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite Game Day experience at a Penn State football game?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
For me, I have many, but watching the Blue Band come out on the field and the majorette flipping and landing on his feet sets the tone for the whole day! Even watching the Blue Band marching into Beaver Stadium from the practice field (or wherever they start from) is exciting!. I also enjoy standing out waiting for the players buses to pull up and having the starting QB come off first!

For me, I have many, but watching the Blue Band come out on the field and the majorette flipping and landing on his feet sets the tone for the whole day! Even watching the Blue Band marching into Beaver Stadium from the practice field (or wherever they start from) is exciting!. I also enjoy standing out waiting for the players buses to pull up and having the starting QB come off first!

For me it's the collective experience of returning to campus and town, seeing and feeling the energy of the students and fans, all the onfield activity ( both football and BB), the roar of the crowd, tailgating, and seeing the joyful multitudes snapping photos at the Paterno statue (Bastards!).

I like pre-gaming downtown and watching Pitt lose each Saturday on TV at a bar before walking back up to the stadium to watch a real college football program.

These are a few of my favorite things. As you can imagine, it's a spoil of riches.

I like pre-gaming downtown and watching Pitt lose each Saturday on TV at a bar before walking back up to the stadium to watch a real college football program.

These are a few of my favorite things. As you can imagine, it's a spoil of riches.
B88g4O1IEAESIGD.jpg

For me it's the collective experience of returning to campus and town, seeing and feeling the energy of the students and fans, all the onfield activity ( both football and BB), the roar of the crowd, tailgating, and seeing the joyful multitudes snapping photos at the Paterno statue (Bastards!).
Agree. I gave up my season tickets a few years back, but when I was attending every home game, it was always the entire experience, from the moment I left Pittsburgh on Friday until my arrival home Sunday afternoon. It included things that didn't relate directly to football, like seeing Sue Paterno at Mass, or grabbing some Hi-Way Pizza, or going to the Creamery, or taking a long walk on campus with the smell of leaves in the air, or having sex with my wife in the hotel room (well, once a season anyway:rolleyes:). As I think of it, the sounds, the sights, the smells, all wash over me.....powerful, wonderful memories. No matter what the bast'rds in power do, they can never take those magic moments away.

Agree. I gave up my season tickets a few years back, but when I was attending every home game, it was always the entire experience, from the moment I left Pittsburgh on Friday until my arrival home Sunday afternoon. It included things that didn't relate directly to football, like seeing Sue Paterno at Mass, or grabbing some Hi-Way Pizza, or going to the Creamery, or taking a long walk on campus with the smell of leaves in the air, or having sex with my wife in the hotel room (well, once a season anyway:rolleyes:). As I think of it, the sounds, the sights, the smells, all wash over me.....powerful, wonderful memories. No matter what the bast'rds in power do, they can never take those magic moments away.
So well said. I'm sure your wife would appreciate reading this too :)

Reactions: fairgambit
I and watching Pitt lose each Saturday on TV

obviously hasn't been watching Pitt in some time, because if he had, he'd know Pitt plays on Tuesdays or Thursday nights, never on Saturday!!!

Reactions: Alphabets
67: It is the collective experience, isn't it. The only thing I do not like about a football weekend at Penn State is getting there and coming back.

Reactions: Zenophile
Probably the most exciting for me is the anticipation of the game that heightens as the team walks through the tunnel to come out onto the field, the roar for the players as they come out, the coin flip among captains, the stadium wide we are.. penn state chant, the players taking the field and finally the kickoff. That 10 minute or so period of time feels like opening that first gift on Christmas morning or finally figuring out how to get that girl's bra off.. pure joy

The flippin' game.

Walking towards Beaver Stadium with ice cream cone in hand with (insert John Facenda's voice here) "Legions of blue and white clad Penn State fans."

I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed raining the "boos" and "sneers" down on Rodless and Judas whenever they made a gratuitous appearance on the field midway through the 3rd quarter.

74:

I agree with loving the drum major flip. I also love a really loud "we are" chant that echoes through the stadium and when Zombie nation is played after a big play and the crowd is going insane.

Winning.

But if you're looking for the pageantry angle, the drum major flip, the Lion in the stands, tailgating with friends.

And it's only the final game, but I've always enjoyed the traditions of Senior Day.

Alas, as good as the experience has been the last three years, I fear it will never be the same. And that's BOTH a good and bad thing. While we all knew the JoePa era would end, the crushing manner has intruded on the enjoyment, at least for me. Perhaps it's just me. I still look forward to the games, and I relish a return to national contention that I think JF can lead. I only hope to witness it and it doesn't take decades, though I hope to still be around then, too.

Reactions: Jerademan74
No longer bringing a girlfriend that doesn't care or know about football. I will never again have to answer the question "what are you thinking about" with "I hope that Penn State scores a touchdown on this play"...

Last edited:
Winning.

But if you're looking for the pageantry angle, the drum major flip, the Lion in the stands, tailgating with friends.

And it's only the final game, but I've always enjoyed the traditions of Senior Day.

Alas, as good as the experience has been the last three years, I fear it will never be the same. And that's BOTH a good and bad thing. While we all knew the JoePa era would end, the crushing manner has intruded on the enjoyment, at least for me. Perhaps it's just me. I still look forward to the games, and I relish a return to national contention that I think JF can lead. I only hope to witness it and it doesn't take decades, though I hope to still be around then, too.
It will never be the same without Joe on the sidelines, but life continues. As true Penn State fans, we adjust to the times and seek new thrills under CJF, or whoever else is coaching. Ultimately, it is the players wearing the traditional blue and white uniforms that make Penn State football what it is. The new kids coming in are just names for now, but look back and think of all the men who wore those uniforms before them and you'll know who perpetuates our love for Penn State football. Just to name a few, it is the men like Franco, Cappy, Lavar, Poz, Ham, Onkotz, Reid, MROB, DWill and now Hack that make Penn State what it is!

Having attended my first game in 1958 (age 8), I literally grew up on Penn State football. I'll never forget the empty feeling of entering the stadium for the Ohio U game after Joe's passing. Something was missing. With no acknowledgement of Joe before, during, or after the game by the university, my game day experiences have been lacking since then.

The playing of the "Nittany Lion Special" at the end of the game. Sometimes joyous and sometimes sad--but always bittersweet. Because the game is over and it's time to go home.

Having attended my first game in 1958 (age 8), I literally grew up on Penn State football. I'll never forget the empty feeling of entering the stadium for the Ohio U game after Joe's passing. Something was missing. With no acknowledgement of Joe before, during, or after the game by the university, my game day experiences have been lacking since then.
Well said shamp24. For a lot of us old-timers, a part of our lives died with Joe's passing. The way it ended was even more disgraceful than one could ever imagine. All because of a sick man like Jerry Sandusky, who still to this day doesn't understand what wrong he did to the children he molested, or to the Penn State community who adored Joe Paterno and Penn State in general. To not support Penn State football though is giving in to Jerry Sandusky, the gutless BOT's, Mark Evert and anyone else who tried bringing down PSU for entirely selfish reasons! Therefore, I support CJF 100% and all the kids on the field who are trying to keep the tradition alive, but under new times! If we don't have this attitude, we die with Joe, and that would be the last thing he would want!

1- hysch's tailgate with great tunes, drinks and food in that order. 2- celebrating a division win vs. Michigan or osu to wrap up the BIG East title. 3- jamming with Gilly and the spiders from Mars in the South upper deck pregame as the sun sets on the most awesome stadium experience ever in the world's history!

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Yes it is the entire experience. What stands out to me are the things that never change in decades. The low buzz in the background early in the morning on game day. The growing electricity as the crowd swells while standing in line for breakfast. Then walking to the stadium and the tailgate scene. All building to the entrance of the team and the crowd. If there is a ranked, big name team in town, forget it, because there is nothing like it.

1- hysch's tailgate with great tunes, drinks and food in that order. 2- celebrating a division win vs. Michigan or osu to wrap up the BIG East title. 3- jamming with Gilly and the spiders from Mars in the South upper deck pregame as the sun sets on the most awesome stadium experience ever in the world's history!
I am in the south deck as well but I haven't seen Gilly or The Spiders for nearly 40 years!

Why did they change the "Lets Go P-S-U" intro? The older version when I was in school 06-10 was so much better than the new version.

Why did they change the "Lets Go P-S-U" intro? The older version when I was in school 06-10 was so much better than the new version.

Because the guy that wrote the song (Rock and Roll Part 2) used is a convicted child sex offender. The NFL dropped it a few years back (they do permit a cover version).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT