ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting We Are.... Better! Penn State lands commitment from 2024 four-star RB Corey Smith

Wow! Smith and Martin in one class is almost like landing Singleton and Allen in one class. These guy are coming into a room where two guys will be drafted shortly after they arrive so that they get a year of adjusting to the game and then they may just take over like Singleton and Allen did.

From Smith's film, two things kind of jump out. 1) He has exceptional balance, a ragged running style but he doesn't go down easily. Good open field runner. 2) GREAT looking ball skills. Leaps like a wideout and catches with his hands.

A good fit for the PSU system. But this is also the transition at Wisky as Fickell figures out what he's doing, and the fact that PSU is seen as a pipeline for running backs to high rounds of the NFL draft.

I love ankle breakers and he has elite cutting skills.

I would not be surprised to see him transition to WR. Great YAC potential.

Great find. Wisky wanted him badly.

I believe it listed him at 170. Can't get him to PSU and into the S&C program fast enough........
I’m always curious when one of these high profile players gets away from a big instate uni and if there is a back story. That’s two in a row where JF took highly recruited players from UW. That’s way different than beating out a Maryland or Pitt for an instate star.

I’m always curious when one of these high profile players gets away from a big instate uni and if there is a back story. That’s two in a row where JF took highly recruited players from UW. That’s way different than beating out a Maryland or Pitt for an instate star.

Wisconsin has been on a downward trajectory somewhat for 10 years, definitely the last 4-5. They've now shirked the Alvarez Project for outsiders. For as good as Fickell did at Cincy, he still hasn't got "walk in and clean up" credibility yet. Just part of it.

In the past, some Wisconsin kids might have committed so early that they were never bumped up properly because people didn't waste their resources fighting a 99% losing battle.

Wisconsin has been on a downward trajectory somewhat for 10 years, definitely the last 4-5. They've now shirked the Alvarez Project for outsiders. For as good as Fickell did at Cincy, he still hasn't got "walk in and clean up" credibility yet. Just part of it.

In the past, some Wisconsin kids might have committed so early that they were never bumped up properly because people didn't waste their resources fighting a 99% losing battle.
Wisconsin under Christ had really slipped much more than was "apparent" from outside. So whole clean house approach was not exactly a surprise. Fickle never recruited up in Wisco either he has basically been sticking to his traditional Cincinnati recruitment regions. Expect that will change next year, but he had very short time line when he got to UW, and brought all Cincy staff with him, they basically confined who they were recruiting g to Cincy. His staff did not have active relationships with the 2 kids who went PSU as they were not recruiting them to Cincy. Plus given population trends in Wisconsin not exactly a rich recruiting environment

Reactions: lazydave841

UW will be fine with Fickell.

Fickell did a very, very nice job with Cinci and will do as well at UW with more resources.

Probably will return to O$U once Eddie Munster decides to try NFL.

Cincy played 2nd tier football. He got 1 huge upset in his time there (got him into the playoff).

Do you foresee 10+ wins yearly in the new Big 10?

Can he get Wisky over the hump and beat the winner of the East?

I think he's now added layers to a return to Columbus. Unless he's really good at Madison, they aren't bringing him in off "he did great at Cincy" because multiple people have been a winner there.

Reactions: 19333lion
Cincy played 2nd tier football. He got 1 huge upset in his time there (got him into the playoff).

Do you foresee 10+ wins yearly in the new Big 10?

Can he get Wisky over the hump and beat the winner of the East?

I think he's now added layers to a return to Columbus. Unless he's really good at Madison, they aren't bringing him in off "he did great at Cincy" because multiple people have been a winner there.
View UW as a passing through spot for Fickle either to big show or OSU. Turn things around here, get some excitement and move on. Show he can win at next level up from Cincy and move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT