ADVERTISEMENT

Wanted: New O coordinator in IA City

PennSt8er

Aug 16, 2001
PSU just helped open a great job opportunity for someone who is looking to butter some corn.

What if the reason was actually our defense? Just curious but it's possible right?

Reactions: 1AA
What if the reason was actually our defense? Just curious but it's possible right?
PSU has a good defense but to be fair I don't think we really know how bad Iowa is. They haven't played anybody good other than PSU. They moved the ball well on their first drive but stalled at mid field. They moved the ball well on their second drive then fumbled. After than they did absolutely nothing which is amazing. I guess they missed their starting TE quite a bit.

Last edited:
PSU has a good defense but to be fair I don't think we really know how bad Iowa is. They haven't played anybody good other than PSU. They moved the ball well on their first drive but missed a FG. They moved the ball well on their second drive then fumbled. After than they did absolutely nothing which is amazing. I guess they missed their starting TE quite a bit.
As well as RB 1 & 2.

But I agree. They’ve played nobody and their O has been crappy for years. They’ve got a decent QB but he was overwhelmed

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
They did nothing all game. The first drive they didn’t miss a FG or drive well, they had one first down and got to their own 49. 2nd drive had one first down on a QB scramble and we’re only in scoring position because they started in PSU territory. Have to give our D a ton of credit regardless of how bad Iowa’s offense is. They brought it all game and it seemed a bit personal after the past few losses to them. Even Delaware was able to eke out about 2x the offense that Iowa was able to get. Don’t care how bad they were or who they were missing that was about as perfect a Defense could play. Wasn’t like they were missing wide open guys, they were smothered almost every play.

I wish we could somehow see what the game would have looked like in Iowa. At this point, I want to know a little more about our road warriors.

They did nothing all game. The first drive they didn’t miss a FG or drive well, they had one first down and got to their own 49. 2nd drive had one first down on a QB scramble and we’re only in scoring position because they started in PSU territory. Have to give our D a ton of credit regardless of how bad Iowa’s offense is. They brought it all game and it seemed a bit personal after the past few losses to them. Even Delaware was able to eke out about 2x the offense that Iowa was able to get. Don’t care how bad they were or who they were missing that was about as perfect a Defense could play. Wasn’t like they were missing wide open guys, they were smothered almost every play.
My mistake on the missed FG. Iowa went 24 yds on the first series before punting from mid field. They went 30 yds on their second series but fumbled. That's 54 yds in 9 plays but after that they got NOTHING.

3 plays for 2 yds and a punt
3 plays for 3 yds and a punt
3 plays for 0 yds and a punt
3 plays for -6 yds and a punt

Reactions: mydome88
PSU just helped open a great job opportunity for someone who is looking to butter some corn.
IMO never a good idea to keep a sibling in place in a very prominent position for your sports team.. unless of course they are phenoms.. even then.. you will still be open to criticism … would think or hope Kirk is reaching out to their D2 or D3 schools on Coaching opportunities for his son..

IMO never a good idea to keep a sibling in place in a very prominent position for your sports team.. unless of course they are phenoms.. even then.. you will still be open to criticism … would think or hope Kirk is reaching out to their D2 or D3 schools on Coaching opportunities for his son..

Nepotism is a societal cancer that can infect anyone, especially given the ridiculous salaries these days. Sanders has it. Ferentz has it. Bowden had it. Even JVP had it, among many others. It's simply wrong. If favoritism is necessary, in recruiting or hiring, then it's unfair. Period.

Nepotism is typically not recognized by the person doing it. In their minds it is always justified.

I remember getting training on our corporate ethics policy. It wasn't just about propriety and adhering to laws. We were to avoid even the perception of impropriety. You can't avoid that when placing a relative within your organization.

I know of a case where a senior manager had his son hired into his organization at an entry level position. Despite what was said regarding discipline and advancement, that puts the immediate supervisor of the new hire into a terribly awkward situation -- one that can only lead to distrust among those competing for advancement. So it is with other forms of anti-competitive policies, even if directed by government.

PSU has a good defense but to be fair I don't think we really know how bad Iowa is. They haven't played anybody good other than PSU. They moved the ball well on their first drive but stalled at mid field. They moved the ball well on their second drive then fumbled. After than they did absolutely nothing which is amazing. I guess they missed their starting TE quite a bit.
We know. Iowa is not good, bit the Big west is so bad, they could go on a run.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Iowa had 76 yards of offense for the game. If somebody told us Iowa wouldn't gain 100 yards, we would have been thrilled.

Everyone figured Iowa would run the ball decent, but they never could. Major kudos to our defense. Looking at the stats going in, it seemed all too obvious that Iowa was going to struggle throwing. They didn't have 1 WR with 100 yards receiving prior. That stood out.

The crazy thing is, Iowa could go 11-1.

It’s really a bad problem at Iowa because they apparently have no real leadership at AD or university prez.

Brian Ferentz should have been fired long ago, but they didn’t because it’s Kirk’s son. Don’t want to upset him.

They created the silly 25 points per game deal to deflect responsibility. That way Brian is fired for failure to live up to a contractual agreement - (deflecting responsibility from the AD making the call on his own).

Ferentz doesn’t want to fire his kid. Personal interests get in the way of professional interests.

It also has the fall out that Kirk likely will push back any retirement plans. He knows the minute he leaves his son is out of a job with little prospects. He’s been a bit of a national joke for a few years now.

While this is all going on, Iowa’s program is held hostage.

Of course, it shouldn’t have come to this. Seeing what was happening to Kirk’s standing at Iowa and the degrading of his legacy, Brian Ferentz should have resigned on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
Nepotism was forbidden at every company I managed teams at. The auto Big 3 practiced nepotism for hourky jobs, almost exclusively. It was hard for non family job seekers to get hired. This was part of their demise.
It is hard for coaches to forgo Nepotism, now that salaries are life changing.

Reactions: bison13
It’s really a bad problem at Iowa because they apparently have no real leadership at AD or university prez.

Brian Ferentz should have been fired long ago, but they didn’t because it’s Kirk’s son. Don’t want to upset him.

They created the silly 25 points per game deal to deflect responsibility. That way Brian is fired for failure to live up to a contractual agreement - (deflecting responsibility from the AD taking responsibility for the firing).

Ferentz doesn’t want to fire his kid. Personal interests get in the way of professional interests.

It also has the fall out that Kirk likely will push back any retirement plans. He knows the minute he leaves his son is out of a job with little prospects. He’s been a bit of a national joke for a few years now.

While this is all going on, Iowa’s program is held hostage.

Of course, it shouldn’t have come to this. Seeing what was happening to Kirk’s standing at Iowa and the degrading of his legacy, Brian Ferentz should have resigned on his own.
I have no idea if Ferentz is a competent coach but Iowa's offense has been weak for a while and that has to discourage prospective recruits. That's reason enough to cut him loose.

Reactions: bison13 and psu00
Post this on the Iowa board and you'll make some friends. They've absolutely hated Brian Ferentz for a few years now

I have no idea if Ferentz is a competent coach but Iowa's offense has been weak for a while and that has to discourage prospective recruits. That's reason enough to cut him loose.
Exactly. The main concern isn’t what’s best for the program. It’s become ‘don’t upset Kirk’ (by firing his son), and the program suffers as a result. Someone in leadership at Iowa needs to put on their big boy pants and take control of the situation.

Exactly. The main concern isn’t what’s best for the program. It’s become ‘don’t upset Kirk’ (by firing his son), and the program suffers as a result. Someone in leadership at Iowa needs to put on their big boy pants and take control of the situation.
This sounds like a post off of the Iowa Rivals board

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT