ADVERTISEMENT

Venus Williams

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
Is anyone else watching this? This is right up there with Willie Mays with the Mets, Johnny Unitas with the Chargers and Joe Namath with the Rams.

Sad.

Is anyone else watching this? This is right up there with Willie Mays with the Mets, Johnny Unitas with the Chargers and Joe Namath with the Rams.

Sad.
I feel like it's her last match. Like many she doesn't know when to walk away. At least with tennis she's not hurting a team but ESPN needs to switch to a competitive match.

I predict she comes back next year for one final run, if she can get healthy. She had a few nice results when healthy this year, but she's been hurt way too often.

I predict she comes back next year for one final run, if she can get healthy. She had a few nice results when healthy this year, but she's been hurt way too often.
I thought they said she won 3 matches all year? Maybe I misheard.
But, to your point, she's earned the right to play as long as she's being given WC entries to tournaments. If she really wants to make one more run at it she would probably has to do what Andy Murray did this year and play Challenger events.

Reactions: hlstone

I thought she had some malady that impacts her health. Like beyond just having injuries.

Venus should have walked away several years ago.

But I imagine due to her sister she still gets a ton of perks when she plays.

Sad.
She has always been so over rated.....like that Djokovik character.

She was the voiceover for the Billie Jean King tribute last night- celebrating 50 years of equal prize $ at The Open. That may be part of the reason why she chose to play.

Many moons ago when she was an up and comer I did an Amex deal to use her in their US Opem ads. V was very reserved. Serena was a bubbly 15 year old or so. Dad was everything people say. Mom was a nice lady. Sat on the baseline next to mom in Sydney when V won a gold medal at the Olympics.

They should figure out a way to allow former champs to participate like The Masters, while not impacting the main draw. The Grauf match last night was great. Glad I'm not seeing V tonight.Willie Mays as a Met is the only memory I have of him...sad : (

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Due to her sister? More like due to everything she accomplished.

No, due to her sister. Only Serena can command free vehicles for herself and her entire family at Wimbledon.

This isn't a diss on Venus. But Serena is in a totally different class.

LdN

No, due to her sister. Only Serena can command free vehicles for herself and her entire family at Wimbledon.

This isn't a diss on Venus. But Serena is in a totally different class.

LdN
She's won the tournament 5 times...you really think that has nothing to do with it, and it's all about hanging on her sister's coat tails?

Reactions: hlstone
She's won the tournament 5 times...you really think that has nothing to do with it, and it's all about hanging on her sister's coat tails?

I never said her victories have nothing to do with it.
I'm saying she gets extra perks, due to her sister having won 23 grand slams, beyond what other players of her caliber receive.

Venus is washed up. Has been for several years. No one wants to see her play. She isn't a draw.

LdN

Reactions: Ski
I'm saying she gets extra perks, due to her sister having won 23 grand slams, beyond what other players of her caliber receive.

Venus is washed up. Has been for several years. No one wants to see her play. She isn't a draw.

LdN
She's not getting a night slot on Ashe because no one wants to see her play. Regardless of her current form, she's still a marquee name and is the active leader in grand slams (almost doubling up Swiatek and Osaka).

Maybe it speaks to the current lack of marquee players on the women's side (and the parity), but she's just about the most recognizable player out there (especially to casual American fans).

Last edited:
Reactions: JimNazium

LdN
People want to see her play. They shouldn't but she's a name and not because of her sister. You're definitely not giving her enough credit or accepting she has a legit fan base still.

It's possible, after all she did have a win over #20 earlier this season...but it's over and that was plain to see

Nah...Venus and Novak are two of the best ever. Novak just isn't likeable. Venus was.
Just so everyone knows…. I was being sarcastic. I cannot imagine who in Women’s tennis could come close to measuring up to Venus, Djikovic at least top 5 ever.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT