ADVERTISEMENT

trautwein

amblernit

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2005
if the ol continues to play below par, in the running game that is, should trautwein be held responsible?

if the ol continues to play below par, in the running game that is, should trautwein be held responsible?
Lets see. so far this year, we've scored 38, 63, 30, 31, and 41. We've played two very good defenses in ILL and Iowa. WVU is 4-1 with wins over Pitt, TTech, and TCU. So while they aren't great, they aren't bad.

My opinion is that the teams we are playing are doing two things:
  • bringing the safeties up to stop the run
  • Keeping the CBs deep to stop the long pass
They are forcing PSU to be patient and create long-scoring drives. So PSU is taking the 4.2 yards per attempt and adding a solid intermediate passing game to score 30+ points per game.

Makes complete sense to me and I am unconcerned. Obviously, we have to play two top-five teams in the nation yet and that is where our bread will be buttered.

Yes… I’ve never been impressed with Trautwein. Who has he elevated? Olu is a freak. The others are average at best. He’s been here four yrs now and have any made it to the league? Walker and Scruggs backups at best?

Offensive coaches are not at the same level as defensive coaches. Need to be to win a championship.

Reactions: scrivener
I mean he is the OL coach but I think part of the struggle is that Singleton has regressed, TE blocking is worse without Strange, and play-calling has been worse this year as well, imo.

But yes our OL has regressed this year.

We’re grinding out victories with a run game in a manner that we haven’t done in decades, and we want to fire the ol coach? It’s not his fault that Singleton is having a sophomore slump making bad reads. Compared to six or seven years ago we’re not getting stuffed in the backfield anymore and somehow this is a problem.

We’re grinding out victories with a run game in a manner that we haven’t done in decades, and we want to fire the ol coach? It’s not his fault that Singleton is having a sophomore slump making bad reads. Compared to six or seven years ago we’re not getting stuffed in the backfield anymore and somehow this is a problem.
yeah i am also not seeing the huge OL concerns. Allar seems to have plenty of time and Singleton seems to be not having great games, but it doesn't look like an OL issue

Lets see. so far this year, we've scored 38, 63, 30, 31, and 41. We've played two very good defenses in ILL and Iowa. WVU is 4-1 with wins over Pitt, TTech, and TCU. So while they aren't great, they aren't bad.

My opinion is that the teams we are playing are doing two things:
  • bringing the safeties up to stop the run
  • Keeping the CBs deep to stop the long pass
They are forcing PSU to be patient and create long-scoring drives. So PSU is taking the 4.2 yards per attempt and adding a solid intermediate passing game to score 30+ points per game.

Makes complete sense to me and I am unconcerned. Obviously, we have to play two top-five teams in the nation yet and that is where our bread will be buttered.
Finally, someone offers a theory on why the lack of chunk plays might not be an issue. Thank you!

Reactions: brupsu and Obliviax
Whatever the case may be with Trautwein, schemes and all that, I miss the JoePa days when our offensive line was almost always formidable as a run game unit. Then again, I loved the game from the 60s-90s. There is nothing quite like a dominant running game.

Whatever the case may be with Trautwein, schemes and all that, I miss the JoePa days when our offensive line was almost always formidable as a run game unit. Then again, I loved the game from the 60s-90s. There is nothing quite like a dominant running game.
those days are otherwise known as JoePa before he hit age 70. cause after that there were regularly oline issues, with a good one about once every four years

Reactions: brupsu
IMHO: When facing an inexperienced young QB you stack the box to stop the run! The D blitzes on obvious passing downs, putting pressure on the QB to hopefully turn the ball over. In this case no turnovers by the QB and you take what the defense gives you. Thus long sustained drives until the the QB and passing game matures.

Yes… I’ve never been impressed with Trautwein. Who has he elevated? Olu is a freak. The others are average at best. He’s been here four yrs now and have any made it to the league? Walker and Scruggs backups at best?

Offensive coaches are not at the same level as defensive coaches. Need to be to win a championship.
Not quite sure I understand your post. Are you criticizing Trautwein or the talent of the players? If Olu is great and the others are average it sounds like that is a criticism of the players; otherwise he is doing a great job of coaching him but not the rest. When Trautwein coached at BC 4 of his 5 starting linemen were all conference one year. I for one think the OL would be doing better if Yurcich didn’t insist on running predictable run plays into defenses playing the run on first and often second down.

Reactions: royboy
I agree with you. I mostly miss all the offensive variety in college football. Now it seems everyone is in the shotgun with 3 or more wide every play. Very little I formation, true Option formations, most 2 back formations, even going under center is a rarity.

I like watching the Option teams, which are essentially down to the academies these days.

Our OL hasn't played that great, but they aren't bad. The team, in general, has been in very few adverse situations. Running game has been decent, not great. Allar has had mostly a clean pocket to work with.

There is sure to be plenty of pressure situations playing Michigan and OSU coming up. The good defenses we have faced to this point didn't have any offense, so they didn't need to match scores and could wait for their superior depth to take over for easy wins.

The 2 most important questions for the OL coming up are:
Can they run the ball to close out a game if they have a slim lead?
Can they continue to keep Allar clean?

Reactions: SR108 and 19333lion
Not quite sure I understand your post. Are you criticizing Trautwein or the talent of the players? If Olu is great and the others are average it sounds like that is a criticism of the players; otherwise he is doing a great job of coaching him but not the rest. When Trautwein coached at BC 4 of his 5 starting linemen were all conference one year. I for one think the OL would be doing better if Yurcich didn’t insist on running predictable run plays into defenses playing the run on first and often second down.
Agree for sure about MY play calling on early downs...we have been way too conservative and predictable. However, the right side of our line for several yrs now just has not been very good...as discussed often here. I won't say that Phil has done a poor job by any means. But, have I expected better considering the number of high star recruits in that room....absolutely.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Agree for sure about MY play calling on early downs...we have been way too conservative and predictable. However, the right side of our line for several yrs now just has not been very good...as discussed often here. I won't say that Phil has done a poor job by any means. But, have I expected better considering the number of high star recruits in that room....absolutely.
Just how disappointed are you?

Penn State is:
  • 5-0
  • Ranked #5 or #6 in the country
  • Averaging 430 yard per game to opponents 211 yards per game
  • Averaging 40.6 points per game to opponents 9.60
  • Versus expectations? well, covering the expected point spread in every game is one measure of that

Not quite sure I understand your post. Are you criticizing Trautwein or the talent of the players? If Olu is great and the others are average it sounds like that is a criticism of the players; otherwise he is doing a great job of coaching him but not the rest. When Trautwein coached at BC 4 of his 5 starting linemen were all conference one year. I for one think the OL would be doing better if Yurcich didn’t insist on running predictable run plays into defenses

Just how disappointed are you?

Penn State is:
  • 5-0
  • Ranked #5 or #6 in the country
  • Averaging 430 yard per game to opponents 211 yards per game
  • Averaging 40.6 points per game to opponents 9.60
  • Versus expectations? well, covering the expected point spread in every game is one measure of that
Yep, everything is just fine. Point spreads are a stupid way to evaluate OL progress. So is pulling stats. I implore you to watch that ten minute video analysis that was posted here on the NW 1st half. It was centered on looking at the OL...and Caedan specifically. Wasn't good. You are being obtuse if you are strictly using stats and numbers to come to a final analysis of a specific position....but on this board, I'm not surprised.

Reactions: 19333lion
Allar is not a threat to run. Not saying to play Pribula, but if Allar had that ability to run, you would see bigger chunk plays by the RBs.
Good point...and he needs to run on occasion to make defenses pay for man to man coverage. Clifford had pivotal runs frequently which saved the bacon at times.

Reactions: psuno1
Good point...and he needs to run on occasion to make defenses pay for man to man coverage. Clifford had pivotal runs frequently which saved the bacon at times.
The OL pays the penalty for that. When Clifford stopped running due to injuries, it cost the entire running game.

I don’t think the right guard is a problem but do think Wallace is. Too many blown assignments

I don’t think the right guard is a problem but do think Wallace is. Too many blown assignments
No doubt. Wormley is ok....serviceable. But, Wallace has been poor for yrs now. I'm stunned nobody is better in that room.

The OL pays the penalty for that. When Clifford stopped running due to injuries, it cost the entire running game.
He did that against WVU and IOWA
but not so much against the Ilini. Yurcick talked about his need to move forward in the pocket more and this would be stressed in the off weeks... watching film shows many factors contributing to our lack of explosive plays. I just hope everyone is healthy in a week and a half and dome timing issues get resolved. That would solve a lot of issues with the current O and lack of explosive plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT