ADVERTISEMENT

Tips for those visiting PSU for the first time?

PSUSignore

May 29, 2001
Over the years I've seen many tips for opposing fans visiting State College for a game (insert Chumley's joke here). Does anyone happen to have some old posts saved/bookmarked? A friend is an SDSU alumnus and he's coming to town for the game and I want to ensure he has a good time. Unfortunately I won't be there to show him around so I'm compiling information for him in advance.

I'm looking for tips on:
- Best driving route from Pittsburgh the morning of the game
- Which path of entry leads to which yellow parking lots
- Parking lot suggestions
- Must see sights on campus (creamery, Lion Shrine, etc.)
- Nightlife: I know the old staples, don't know any newer bars. He likes craft beer so I'll already point him to Zeno's but let me know if you have others.
- Dinner
- Some uncrowded, off the beaten path ideas in case he wants to escape the lines everywhere downtown
- Sunday breakfast

Breakfast:
Original Waffle Shop on E College or N Atherton.
Brunch at Penn Stater (reservations good idea) or The Tavern

Must see:
Nittany Lion
"WE ARE" sculpture
PSU All Sports Museum
Old Main murals (Friday only)

Bars:
Phyrst
Local Whisky
Bill Pickles Tap Room
The All-American Rathskeller
Deli

Game Parking - get parking map from Athletic Web Site, changes from year to year.

Dinner: good luck, everybody is busy and the food and service can nosedive.
The Tavern
Spats
Corner Room and/or Allen Street Grill
Gigi's
Zola's

As for directions, a few years ago I had a Friday meeting in Pittsburgh before a home game so I stayed in Pittsburgh Friday night and drove to State College Saturday morning. It was an easy drive - from the airport or downtown take the parkway (I-376) west to 22 west to I-99 north to State College. I'd suggest exiting 99 onto 322 to Atherton Street. Turn left onto Park Ave to the yellow lots.

I live in SE PA, so this was the only time I've ever taken this route. Some of our 'burgh posters may have a better route.

I've heard some good things about Happy Valley Brewing Co, but have not been there yet.

Why on earth would they leave Pittsburgh to go to football game? Have they considered just catching the cultural attractions that Pittsburgh has to offer?

Reactions: john4psu
Breakfast:

Must see:
Nittany Lion
"WE ARE" sculpture
PSU All Sports Museum

Bars:
Phyrst
Local Whisky
Bill Pickles Tap Room
Deli

Game Parking - get parking map from Athletic Web Site, changes from year to year.

The Tavern
Spats
Gigi's
Zola's

This board is getting sloppy…….No 'Chumley's' advice??? On a serious note, has anyone been to 'Letterman's' (I think the old Damon's) ? Aren't there some former PSU guys that own it, like one of the Conlins or something? How's their food?

Why on earth would they leave Pittsburgh to go to football game? Have they considered just catching the cultural attractions that Pittsburgh has to offer?

clapping-gif12.gif

Reactions: Zenophile
This board is getting sloppy…….No 'Chumley's' advice???
I tried to nip that one in the bud in my OP. ;)

Seriously though, we should compile a comprehensive list and make it a sticky. Especially bars and restaurants with a brief description of what they are about would be a more useful sticky than much of what is there today IMO. I guess I should have saved some of Carol's posts over the years.

Breakfast:

Must see:
Nittany Lion
"WE ARE" sculpture
PSU All Sports Museum

Bars:
Phyrst
Local Whisky
Bill Pickles Tap Room
Deli

The Tavern
Spats
Gigi's
Zola's

Why do people stand in line at the Waffle Shop on College Ave when they can drive a short distance to the other location on S. Atherton? I've heard that the College Ave location changed ownership in the past, so it's not the "original." On the other hand, the Atherton location continues the original line of management. I don't know how much of this is true, so comments from a local are in order.

Reactions: bison13
The Arboretum is always a great place to visit. Even on a football weekend it is not very crowded.

Reactions: bison13
Would there be any interest in creating a sticky for this info? If so, I can work on a new thread to collect info, along with a brief 1-2 sentence description of the bar, restaurant, building, site, etc. The I can compile it in one post for a sticky at the top. Thoughts? Worthwhile venture?

Reactions: kgilbert78
Nobody mentioned the Paterno Creamery, so I will.

Clem's used to be in Port Matilda on 322, and that place was awesome. I guess they've moved, but that would be a recommendation too.

Always convenient to go to Giant Eagle on College Ave. to pick up stuff for tailgating.

Speaking of College Ave, definitely walk down it during game day.

Why do people stand in line at the Waffle Shop on College Ave when they can drive a short distance to the other location on S. Atherton? I've heard that the College Ave location changed ownership in the past, so it's not the "original." On the other hand, the Atherton location continues the original line of management. I don't know how much of this is true, so comments from a local are in order.

There are 3 Waffle Shops in State College - East College, West College, and North Arherton. (And one in Bellefonte.) I almost always go to the one on West College. I've heard that the N Atherton one is not as good. The one downtown (East College) is smaller and usually has a line on weekends because it's walking distance for students. Others have lines too but you can sometimes get lucky. Also, it's worth the wait.

Clem's used to be in Port Matilda on 322, and that place was awesome. I guess they've moved, but that would be a recommendation too.

Always convenient to go to Giant Eagle on College Ave. to pick up stuff for tailgating.

Paterno creamery?

Giant Eagle?

Would there be any interest in creating a sticky for this info? If so, I can work on a new thread to collect info, along with a brief 1-2 sentence description of the bar, restaurant, building, site, etc. The I can compile it in one post for a sticky at the top. Thoughts? Worthwhile venture?

There are already too many stickies on this board. First you have to scroll through a pn entire screen of ads and avigation. Then another screen's worth of stickies. At this point, they might as well create a separate sticky forum.

Reactions: pandaczar12

Please do! If you assemble such information, I'd pin it.

Reactions: Hotshoe
There are already too many stickies on this board. First you have to scroll through a pn entire screen of ads and avigation. Then another screen's worth of stickies. At this point, they might as well create a separate sticky forum.

+1 for this!

If we can't get a sticky forum, can there be one sticky with links to the info, instead of each topic needing it's own sticky?

It makes more sense than the Erickson Creamery.

It's the Berkey Creamery.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Couple times last year I exited I-99 at Waddle Road, made a left and went through Toftrees to Fox Hollow Road. There are a couple small yellow lots behind the one RV lot which are fairly close to the stadium off of Fox Hollow. It was easy to get out these lots quickly after the game by going back on Fox Hollow and through Toftrees to Waddle Road.

Liberty Craft House on College Ave may be worth a stop.

Also IMHO an Original Sin at the Adams Apple on Calder (& taking in the cool memorabilia) is an essential part of the football weekend experience.

Forbidden Fruit!!!!!!

Just kidding, I only like one of them and can never remember which one it is. I think it's the Forbidden Fruit that I don't like... I seem to remember it being tricky because the Fruit sounds like it would be good, but isn't

Reactions: Zenophile
Wegman's is much better for tailgate items, IMHO. Mrs KG says she would gain 10 lobs if there were one in Columbus.... They also have a bottle shop, which is useful.

As for directions, a few years ago I had a Friday meeting in Pittsburgh before a home game so I stayed in Pittsburgh Friday night and drove to State College Saturday morning. It was an easy drive - from the airport or downtown take the parkway (I-376) west to 22 west to I-99 north to State College. I'd suggest exiting 99 onto 322 to Atherton Street. Turn left onto Park Ave to the yellow lots.

I live in SE PA, so this was the only time I've ever taken this route. Some of our 'burgh posters may have a better route.

I've heard some good things about Happy Valley Brewing Co, but have not been there yet.

Love Happy Valley Brewing Company.. I've been able to get in there after games without too much of a wait. Good beer, good food, great atmosphere in their downstairs bar. Anytime I'm in State College, I try to get there unless I'm intent on watching some other college games. There's some tvs, but not really a sports bar type set up.

Reactions: JBott
Couple times last year I exited I-99 at Waddle Road, made a left and went through Toftrees to Fox Hollow Road. There are a couple small yellow lots behind the one RV lot which are fairly close to the stadium off of Fox Hollow. It was easy to get out these lots quickly after the game by going back on Fox Hollow and through Toftrees to Waddle Road.

Good tip. I know that leaving the lots after a night game can be a real mess. To get to these lots (#17, #18, #19) you just need to approach via southbound Fox Hollow?

The Hop Shop, which is underneath The Deli, is a great bottle shop that allows you to mix & match your own six pack. They also have a handful of craft style beers on tap to be sold as growlers.

Love Happy Valley Brewing Company.. I've been able to get in there after games without too much of a wait. Good beer, good food, great atmosphere in their downstairs bar. Anytime I'm in State College, I try to get there unless I'm intent on watching some other college games. There's some tvs, but not really a sports bar type set up.

This is good advice, they also have some pretty sweet merchandise. I agree the food is good and the atmosphere is great, but the beer was really pretty average when I went. Still worth a stop.

Good tip. I know that leaving the lots after a night game can be a real mess. To get to these lots (#17, #18, #19) you just need to approach via southbound Fox Hollow?

Yes--but that doesn't mean you will be allowed to park in those lots--though early can help. One year we came in that way and they eventually directed us back and around then across Park Road--of course while traffic was coming the other way on Fox Hollow to get where we had just been directed away from. Guess they didn't learn about "crossing the streams" from Ghostbusters. One of the parking guys who had been around a while was just shaking his head, especially when they kept sending cars into our area with no good second exit that was already full.

One year, at the 2005 tOSU game (and we were in early) they sent us to the right almost down by the 322/99 bridge. I'm still not quite sure where we ended up (behind the flower gardens, I think), but we did not get out of the lots after until 3-4 am. I am not joking. The entire main lot had to empty before our lot did.

It's odd because they do have a lot before you get to the turn to the left (before Park), but they never seem to open that up.

One year, at the 2005 tOSU game (and we were in early) they sent us to the right almost down by the 322/99 bridge. I'm still not quite sure where we ended up (behind the flower gardens, I think), but we did not get out of the lots after until 3-4 am. I am not joking. The entire main lot had to empty before our lot did.

Oh I believe you, because I sat in the same hell. We were parked pretty close to the stadium in a reserved spot for that game, complements of a friend's reserved spot. Getting out was a nightmare, it took several hours. While that game was the best I've ever been to, the parking lot exit was an absolute disaster.

Reactions: kgilbert78
Please do! If you assemble such information, I'd pin it.

Good deal. I also agree with others that we have too many sticky posts but I think this would be one of the more useful ones.

Is there any way to post data in a table on the board? I'm a little worried about formatting plain text and keeping a long list of recommendations readable.

Good deal. I also agree with others that we have too many sticky posts but I think this would be one of the more useful ones.

Excellent.

Is there any way to post data in a table on the board? I'm a little worried about formatting plain text and keeping a long list of recommendations readable.

Hmm, good question. You could not use HTML code on the old boards, which meant that you couldn't include tables. I have not checked on whether that's an option or not on the new boards.

Sneaking in wrestling terminology in the off season.....

LOL. For wrestling fans, there is no offseason.

Wrestling recruiting does not get covered all that much. College coaches could offer scholarships on July 1 to kids that will be entering their season year. PSU wrestling fans have been trying to read the tea leaves of recruiting since that date, but it's been far more speculation and fan talk than legitimate information.

Check out the Wrestling Room message board. We have great discussions on PSU wrestling.

All that aside, it's tough to sneak anything past you. ;)

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
This board is getting sloppy…….No 'Chumley's' advice??? On a serious note, has anyone been to 'Letterman's' (I think the old Damon's) ? Aren't there some former PSU guys that own it, like one of the Conlins or something? How's their food?
Keith Conlin aka The Goon is one of the owners.
Food is good as is the service. Way above what was offered by Damon's; way above.

Gawd!
Waffle Shop on E College Ave and the one Bellefonte are the original locations but were sold several years ago.
Waffle Shop on W College and N Atherton are called Original Waffle Shops.

Why do people stand in line. Great Orange Juice, food is well prepared, service is very good, especially at W College and N Atherton.

Reminder none accept Charge Cards! CASH/CHECK only.

clem's is gone!
No Giant Eagle in State College
On/just off N Atherton are a wegman's, wal-mart, weis (also on Westerly PKWY and S Atherton, Giant (also, off E College Ave.)

As for directions, a few years ago I had a Friday meeting in Pittsburgh before a home game so I stayed in Pittsburgh Friday night and drove to State College Saturday morning. It was an easy drive - from the airport or downtown take the parkway (I-376) west to 22 west to I-99 north to State College. I'd suggest exiting 99 onto 322 to Atherton Street. Turn left onto Park Ave to the yellow lots."

Wouldn't you want to get on the parkway EAST(I-376) towards Monroeville then onto 22 EAST??? Other than that, your directions should be good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT