ADVERTISEMENT

Tick, Tick, Tick....

I'm of the mindset that it will all start when Suriano commits. He has been quoted "end of July." El Jefe had a nice analysis of it on TOS and I'm inclined to agree with his thinking. Just making a guess, but maybe recruits are waiting to see if more money is available at certain colleges including PSU if Suriano (and to a lesser extent Hall) goes elsewhere. I'm not sure that they will be proven correct in their thought process even should he go elsewhere, but I certainly understand it.

Since Dice brought it up, and at the risk of getting a back rub from Chickenman for plagiarizing (after he's done with Tom), here's what my alter ego wrote over there. Note: "most of these guys" = 2016 lightweights other than Suriano; "everyone listed above" = Hall + the lightweights.

Suriano is probably a bigger driver than Hall for most of these guys; most of the lightweights can accommodate Lee (2 caveats below); and most of them would welcome Lee or at least not be dissuaded by him.

First caveat -- weight classes: Pletcher is probably suited to being a career 133. He's already outgrown 125, and the experts believe his stature will make 141 a challenge. Probably Red and definitely Phillippi are better suited to 141 long-term. Thus, Suriano committing to PSU (with Lee being a priority) may make Pletcher the odd man out.

2nd caveat -- financial: the 9.9 limit may make it hard to bring in 3 elite non-residents. If PSU were the top choice for everyone listed above (unlikely, but still), then this could drive PSU away from Red and toward an elite in-state option (Pletcher or Phillippi), or maybe a 2nd-tier PA option (McCoy or Fidelibus) with an eye on Solomon in 2017.

To clarify this a little further, I believe (with no inside info) that PSU's top priorities are:
1. Suriano -- who is easily the best 125 candidate available and can grow into 133 if/when Lee arrives.
2. An immediate starter at 133 who can grow into 141 -- Red, Pletcher, Phillippi, or Kanen Storr.
3. Depth at 285. Need a backup for Nevills in 2017 when Cassar could start at 197.
4. Depth from 125-141 (maybe to 149).

Hall fits in there somewhere. Sure, he's more of a luxury, but if you really believe he's another Taylor, Ruth, or Wright -- i.e., 3x national finalist who racks up bonus points -- then you gotta do more than just kick the tires.

Well it looks like we have the first official verbal coming. I still think this causes a ripple of some sort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT