ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts and Observations from the Auburn Game

hohmadw

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2010
Wilmington, DE
Here are my thoughts and observations from the Auburn Game. Late night arrival back to the hotel at 2AM. Saw lot's of Penn Stater's coming back from the game on 322 this morning/early afternoon. Let's not forget that we beat a good Top 25 team last night. Two wins in three weeks against top 25 competition. It has been reported that we have never done that to open a season.

1) After having no issues at the gate E for last week's game. we ran into several at the gate. For some reason, the metal detector picked up the metal from the knee replacement as compared to last week where it was not detected. Lost five minutes while two security folks figured out the best way to use the wands picking up the metal in my left knee. It took a supervisor finally to let me in.

There were significant issues with the ticket reader on our aisle. It was only picking up one of our two tickets. This happened to several other folks in line. The person at the gate just finally told us to go in.

2) A bit surprising to see both Keaton Ellis and Jon Lovett back in action given their academic struggles in the Summer. Lovett did show signs of having a burst which our running game needs right now.

3) Which gets to Noah Cain. From my view in section EF 13, it looks like he does not have some burst and ability to break tackles that he had during his Freshman year. Hopefully he will get back to his old running style in the next few wees.

3) What can you say about Sean Clifford. He went out and played his best game ever in a Penn State uniform. Was very impressed on the throw he made on the run on the Dotson TD pass. He did a victory lap around the stadium after the game exchanging hive fives with folks in the crowd. He also came back in the second half after taking a tough hit towards the end of the first half.

4) Jordan Stoudt continues to impress with his punting and kickoffs. His punt at the end of the game was critical to make sure that Auburn did not have a short field for the last series of the games.

5) Coach SJ has talked several times about defensive players staying their lanes and assignments while playing positional football. Curtis Jacobs, Ellis Brooks and Brandon Smith continue to do this and improve every week. Brandon Smith continues to get better after the switch to Will OLB. Brisker and Brown continue to impress at Safety.

6) Jahan Dotson continues impress and be one of the best and reliable players in the country. He had several impressive catches last night away from his body. Parker Washington also continues to be very steady at WR.

7) Good to see the tight ends get involved in the offense. The two quick seam passes to Brenton Strange and Theo Johnson were well executed and critical plays on the TD drives.

8) Looks like holding our on defensive ends is not going to be called this years. Luketa and AK were held several times on running plays last night.

9) Shout out to the offensive line for pass protection. Clifford had plenty time to throw and was only hit once that I could recall dropping back to pass. Run blocking continues to be a work in progress. Caeden Wallace got blown up on three separate running plays last night.

10) Wish the gimmick plays would go away on third and short plays. In particular, the jet sweep to Dotson was recognized immediately by the Auburn defense.

11) Still shaking my head on the officiating last night. The down debacle was one of the worst I have seen by an officiating crew. Several false starts by Auburn were missed last night. From my view in the stands, Mustipher did make the first down on the fake punt. Also, there had to be intentional grounding by Nix on the play where he was being chased by Ellis Brooks and Brandon Smith.

Onward to Villanova. Let's get ahead early and get some of younger players some playing time next week. Win number 211 in person last night out of 237 games attended in person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News