ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball The latest update on Micah Shrewsberry....

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Looking like Ed Cooley's name ironically has cooled down a bit for the Georgetown job a bit with his team being in the NCAA Tournament. Now he is still considered a top candidate for them, but with his name losing some juice recently, it means others have been gaining steam and the two names we are hearing the most are Mike Brey (current ND head coach) and Micah Shrewsberry. Also it should be noted that Notre Dame is showing some small interest in Shrews as well, rumors are they even reached out his agent, but Matt Painter is priority number one for them right now.

It will be interesting to see if Penn State will up the ante of his contract in order to keep him or not, but it sounds like a very real possibility again that he could bounce if offered the right job.

One thing to remember is that Penn State's AD Patrick Kraft didn't actually hire Shrewsberry, it was everyone's favorite former AD (sarcasm) in Sandy Barbour who hired him, so this could be an opportunity for Kraft to get his own guy in charge of hoops.

Now how much trust should there be in Kraft to hire a new coach? Depends on which of his previous jobs you look at the most. During his time with Boston College, Kraft hired Earl Grant ahead of the 2021-22 season and he's 31-26 in his two years with the program so far. Prior to that, Grant went 127-89 with Charleston over seven seasons with Charleston prior to his arrival at BC.

He also technically hired and Aaron McKie at Temple who was just recently demoted to Director Basketball Admin after going 52-56 in four years with the Owls. I say technically because I'm told that he was heavily pushed by some to hire McKie after Fran Dunphy retired since McKie was his lead assistant from 2014-2019.

UPDATE (3/14): I recently did hear that Shrewsberry had an NIL related meeting on Monday evening. Not sure of specifics but definitely worth noting considering all the circumstances.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News