ADVERTISEMENT

The Greatest RB At PSU, At Least One Year

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019

How many times did LJ get caught behind the line of scrimmage? How many time was he a one on one tackle from going all the way? against Virginia he had well over 200 yards and on the last play the game, they just ran a simple sweep to run out the clock. The cornerback made a good tackle on Larry would’ve taken at approximately 80 yards.

Last edited:
What I noticed was the movement of the O line.....the effectiveness of a FB, the excellent blocking of the WRs and Larry's speed.

The other interesting part was that you can see why the option is not used anymore.....3 or 4 of the long runs show the contain LB just blasting the QB even after the pitch was made.

Reactions: brupsu

How many times did LJ get caught behind the line of scrimmage? How many time was he a one on one tackle from going all the way? against Virginia he had well over 200 yards and on the last play the game, they just ran a simple sweep to run out the clock. The cornerback made a good tackle on Larry would’ve taken at approximately 80 yards.

Notice the offense, and the quarterback. Most of those plays were under center, I-formation with full back as a lead blocker, and Johnson 8 yards deep.
  • Zach Mills was a threat to run. A lot of those plays were options with a pitch to Johnson going wide.
  • A lot of those plays involved a pitch to Johnson with the full back utilized as either misdirection, or as a lead blocker. The defense could not key on Johnson. Most of those big plays were not simple handoffs as you would see in today's offense.
  • The draw plays had Mills going back with his eyes downfield as if to pass, then Johnson with both a lead blocker and tons of space to pick the hole, then accelerate with momentum.
I believe Mills paid a lot of the price for Johnson's success. In the end he could barely make a pass for all of the shoulder damage that he incurred.

Still, I loved that offense for all of the versatility that Mills brought to the game. We did not need to stretch the field with an elite passer because the defense literally had to defend three runners who were not in the same place on the field. Mills was able to spread it around with screen plays and swing passes.

This is nothing to take away from Johnson, who was as good as anyone and proved it in his NFL career. He would have been remembered differently had it not been that he was a head case.

Notice the offense, and the quarterback. Most of those plays were under center, I-formation with full back as a lead blocker, and Johnson 8 yards deep.
  • Zach Mills was a threat to run. A lot of those plays were options with a pitch to Johnson going wide.
  • A lot of those plays involved a pitch to Johnson with the full back utilized as either misdirection, or as a lead blocker. The defense could not key on Johnson. Most of those big plays were not simple handoffs as you would see in today's offense.
  • The draw plays had Mills going back with his eyes downfield as if to pass, then Johnson with both a lead blocker and tons of space to pick the hole, then accelerate with momentum.
I believe Mills paid a lot of the price for Johnson's success. In the end he could barely make a pass for all of the shoulder damage that he incurred.

Still, I loved that offense for all of the versatility that Mills brought to the game. We did not need to stretch the field with an elite passer because the defense literally had to defend three runners who were not in the same place on the field. Mills was able to spread it around with screen plays and swing passes.

This is nothing to take away from Johnson, who was as good as anyone and proved it in his NFL career. He would have been remembered differently had it not been that he was a head case.
Yeah, he was nuts lol.

Not one of LJ's linemen were voted more than honorable mention all Big 10, if that.

Reactions: brupsu
LJ had great stats in that 2002 season, but from an outside perspective he was not really a factor in big games. Less than 80 yards vs. Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Auburn. Don't know how much of that was because of your OL.

I thought Ki-Jana Carter was unstoppable in 1994. He didn't have a good OL to run behind, but Barkley was the real deal and had big performances against great teams.

LJ had great stats in that 2002 season, but from an outside perspective he was not really a factor in big games. Less than 80 yards vs. Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Auburn. Don't know how much of that was because of your OL.

I thought Ki-Jana Carter was unstoppable in 1994. He didn't have a good OL to run behind, but Barkley was the real deal and had big performances against great teams.
the 2002 team was really so disappointing

the michigan, osu, and iowa games were fairly early in the year. after that, LJ started having games where he would run for like 500 yards (exaggerating, but only a little)

they had four first-round draft picks on that team.

that was the year Tressel and osu won the national title. if psu could have gotten their act together a little earlier they might have gone undefeated instead of osu

In a couple of those losses, he caught a lot of passes as they had to go to a throwing game. He had 463 yards (rushing + receiving) and 4 TDs in those four games. Not outstanding, but better than some think.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

the michigan, osu, and iowa games were fairly early in the year. after that, LJ started having games where he would run for like 500 yards (exaggerating, but only a little)

that was the year Tressel and osu won the national title. if psu could have gotten their act together a little earlier they might have gone undefeated instead of osu
He could've had 500 against MSU.

LJ had over 225 total yards against Iowa, against OSU he didn't do a lot but in a 13-7 win by OSU not many people did a lot LOL.

Reactions: bison13
LJ had over 225 total yards against Iowa, against OSU he didn't do a lot but in a 13-7 win by OSU not many people did a lot LOL.
That Iowa game was so weird. Everything went wrong in the 1st half of the game. Right down to the last FG of the half bouncing in off the crossbar I think. Down 19 they were throwing in the 2nd half.

Curt warner was a stud. And then I loved Curtis Enis. The kid was a beast. Go watch Penn State vs OSU from 97. You won't see a better game from running backs than Enis and Harris in that game.

He wasn’t the greatest and maybe not even top 10, but DJ Dozier was very effective in each of his four years when most give you two effective years at most.

He wasn’t the greatest and maybe not even top 10, but DJ Dozier was very effective in each of his four years when most give you two effective years at most.
No doubt about it. Dozier had some injuries but he was a tremendous running back. He and Blair were Thunder and Lightning.

Reactions: mcpat
We thought we were out of the dark ages that year… little did we know the 6-4 Iowa game in our future!

• Haha
Reactions: blair10
What I noticed was the movement of the O line.....the effectiveness of a FB, the excellent blocking of the WRs and Larry's speed.

The other interesting part was that you can see why the option is not used anymore.....3 or 4 of the long runs show the contain LB just blasting the QB even after the pitch was made.

I'm 50/50 on Franklin. One of the things that has me on the bad 50 side is Franklin's take on the FB position. "Who needs a player that does only one thing?"

Those great fullbacks back in the day, ran, caught, scored TD's, got first downs........ Oh, and blocked.

Same shit he's doing with the TE's.......... though blocking needs to be worked on. It was just a stupid comment.

LJ was unstoppable vs. MSU. 2000 yards on the year was amazing.

Last edited:

I was at The Shoe for a game that was almost the mirror image of our debacle 3 weeks ago.

Anwar Phillips returned a fumble 80+ yards but got caught from behind. I'm not sure we scored any tds.

DB Gamble had 2 or 3 picks of Mills returning 9ne for a TD. Had the same exact feeling then as after 2023 loss. Beatable OSU team Had opportunities. Didn't deserve to win but darn well coukd've.

Just a flat, dull, empty feeling. LJ was not a factor.

I liked Curt Warner & Blair Thomas. They were fast and could cut on a dime. They were also great with screen passes.

Reactions: 81b&w and mcpat
1.A Saquon Barkley
1.B Ki Jana Carter
2. Blair Thomas
3. D.J. Dozier
4. Curt Warner
5. Larry Johnson / Curt Enis

Note: This is based on when I started following PSU Football which was 1972. No disrespect intended to the PSU RB greats prior to 1972.

Last edited:
1.A Saquon Barkley
1.B Ki Jana Carter
2. Blair Thomas
3. D.J. Dozier
4. Curt Warner
5. Larry Johnson / Curt Enis

Note: This is based on when I started following PSU Football which was 1972. No disrespect intended to the PSU RB greats prior to 1972.
I bet we'd go 12-0 this season with any one of those guys.

We've been blessed with a lot of great backs. I always thought that Blair Thomas's injury and extra year, wasn't good for Gary Brown's opportunity to shine. Gary had a pretty solid NFL career compared too most PSU backs.

Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT