ADVERTISEMENT

The end of 9.9 scholarships?

mjmirv

Jun 15, 2001
This article is mostly about football scholarships, but they mention a proposal to get rid of scholarship limitations. They use the example of baseball only handing out 11 scholarships over 32 spots. The proposal would allow you to give all 32 aid (scholarships) if you want. If this went into affect in wrestling, this would definitely favor the big schools like PSU, Iowa, the OSUs, Michigan ect

Reactions: bourbon n blues
This article is mostly about football scholarships, but they mention a proposal to get rid of scholarship limitations. They use the example of baseball only handing out 11 scholarships over 32 spots. The proposal would allow you to give all 32 aid (scholarships) if you want. If this went into affect in wrestling, this would definitely favor the big schools like PSU, Iowa, the OSUs, Michigan ect

With NIL it hardly matters.
There was a time when scholarships were unlimited. Scholarships were funded by donars to the schools. Now with NIL the middleman can be eliminated.

With NIL it hardly matters.
There was a time when scholarships were unlimited. Scholarships were funded by donars to the schools. Now with NIL the middleman can be eliminated.
Scholarships might matter more. NIL eventually will settle into a heroes vs zeros setup. If you aren't getting an NIL bag, then a free ride becomes a big deal.

Probably a significant number of programs do not even use the full 9.9.

I just read some quotes from John Calipari. In basketball they have 13 full rides. He said that with NIL as it is he’s considering only having 8 or 9 guys on his roster. He said why would he put time into developing guys when he knows they are going to leave. The story said that many top coaches are contemplating a similar approach. Doesn’t make as much sense for wrestling but I still thought it was an interesting idea.

I just read some quotes from John Calipari. In basketball they have 13 full rides. He said that with NIL as it is he’s considering only having 8 or 9 guys on his roster. He said why would he put time into developing guys when he knows they are going to leave. The story said that many top coaches are contemplating a similar approach. Doesn’t make as much sense for wrestling but I still thought it was an interesting idea.
That is total BS. You need 10 to scrimmage. If you have 8 or 9, a few injuries and your team is screwed.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Calipari has always been a few steps ahead of the pack in that kind of stuff.

At Kentucky he heavily recruited the 1-and-done NBA types. If that continues to be his recruiting focus at Arkansas, then it makes tons of sense for him. Not only the development part, but less time away from home on the recruiting trail.

But 8 or 9 does seem a little light, in case he wants to have full 5 on 5 practices.

Reactions: zzs006
Calipari has always been a few steps ahead of the pack in that kind of stuff.

At Kentucky he heavily recruited the 1-and-done NBA types. If that continues to be his recruiting focus at Arkansas, then it makes tons of sense for him. Not only the development part, but less time away from home on the recruiting trail.

But 8 or 9 does seem a little light, in case he wants to have full 5 on 5 practices.
Does seem light but I’m sure they have grad assistant coaches and others who play at a high level that could make 5 on 5 possible. Injuries could be an issue obviously but it makes a lot of sense otherwise. We talk about it with Cael all the time. Why wouldn’t you come to PSU, learn from the best, hope to make the lineup but if not just transfer to another school as a much better wrestler than you would’ve been if you didn’t come to PSU. The top coaches put development time into kids and other programs reap the rewards. Hasn’t happened much yet but it’s going to with how NIL is going

i took it to be the other way, where he only gives the scholarships to the 8-9 guys that are going to be on the roster for the long term. then let the 4-5 one and done guys per year just be "walk ons" with major NIL deals to more than cover to costs of tuition.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
i took it to be the other way, where he only gives the scholarships to the 8-9 guys that are going to be on the roster for the long term. then let the 4-5 one and done guys per year just be "walk ons" with major NIL deals to more than cover to costs of tuition.
This

Not how he’s thinking it. He is saying he would have walk ons fill out the roster and staff to help prepare but only 8-9 scholarship guys and those guys would be the stars and 1 and done type guys.

• Wow
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
That is total BS. You need 10 to scrimmage. If you have 8 or 9, a few injuries and your team is screwed.
Agreed. Plus, who's to say one of your 8-9 doesn't portal out for a better deal, then you are really screwed.

Hypothetically, we might get to the point in a sport like basketball where a player chooses to chase the money all 4 years (assuming no move to the NBA), in a series of 1 year rentals. Heck the only thing that slows down free agency in professional sports are multi year contracts. If a freshman phenom asks for a 1 year NIL deal, there will be buyers.

Reactions: Ski

Not how he’s thinking it. He is saying he would have walk ons fill out the roster and staff to help prepare but only 8-9 scholarship guys and those guys would be the stars and 1 and done type guys.
This just seems like another comment from a coach that was ultra-successful in the previous model of college athletics who started to see that success begin to wane once some of the...uh...let's call them "advantages" became more widepread.

To me, it's similar to Nick Saban's comment about his wife asking him "why are we doing this" that lead to his retirement.

Maybe it's just my own biases shining through, but I find these comments to be utterly full of shit. Coaches that are used to wielding all the power and now don't have some weird reactions to the changes. I'm not sure how just having less talent on the team makes Cal's job any easier or makes the guys he does have on the roster any less likely to transfer, but if that's what he wants to do, OK.

This just seems like another comment from a coach that was ultra-successful in the previous model of college athletics who started to see that success begin to wane once some of the...uh...let's call them "advantages" became more widepread.

To me, it's similar to Nick Saban's comment about his wife asking him "why are we doing this" that lead to his retirement.

Maybe it's just my own biases shining through, but I find these comments to be utterly full of shit. Coaches that are used to wielding all the power and now don't have some weird reactions to the changes. I'm not sure how just having less talent on the team makes Cal's job any easier or makes the guys he does have on the roster any less likely to transfer, but if that's what he wants to do, OK.
It is annoying to listen to adults who have made 100s of millions of dollars from the efforts of student-athletes be so freaking butt-hurt because some of that money now flows to those student-athletes.

Reactions: psumacw
It is annoying to listen to adults who have made 100s of millions of dollars from the efforts of student-athletes be so freaking butt-hurt because some of that money now flows to those student-athletes.
I'm a little more willing to listen to it come from wrestling (and other non-revenue sports) coaches.

But guys like Coach Cal and Nick Saban...GTFOH.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
I'm a little more willing to listen to it come from wrestling (and other non-revenue sports) coaches.

But guys like Coach Cal and Nick Saban...GTFOH.
The non-revenue sports coaches don't seem to be whining about it. The coaches seem to be happy about their kids making some cash. Well except for Ryan, and even Tom seems OK with Ohio State kids getting some. It's only when Penn State does what OSU does but better, that seems to irritate him a bit. You know, "not the way he would (like to see it done) have done it".
Plenty of fans keep yelling about the sky falling, but big blue and white sky chunks haven't wiped anything out yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT