ADVERTISEMENT

Football Terrapins offer chance to get much-maligned run game going

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Here’s the thing that doesn’t make sense, the OLine has been very good pass blocking, but terrible run blocking. I’ve seen Olines that are bad, but typically they are bad period in either situation. I get they’re not physical enough and don’t get a push, but don’t you need to be physical to block a DE coming off the edge or DT bull rushing you? I guess I don’t understand being physical and dominant in pass blocking, but not being able to move or push anyone run blocking. I can’t think of an example PSU or anywhere with such a huge gap in effectiveness run/pass blocking.

Here’s the thing that doesn’t make sense, the OLine has been very good pass blocking, but terrible run blocking. I’ve seen Olines that are bad, but typically they are bad period in either situation. I get they’re not physical enough and don’t get a push, but don’t you need to be physical to block a DE coming off the edge or DT bull rushing you? I guess I don’t understand being physical and dominant in pass blocking, but not being able to move or push anyone run blocking. I can’t think of an example PSU or anywhere with such a huge gap in effectiveness run/pass blocking.

Run blocking is actually physically less demanding than pass blocking. I always looked at run blocking assignments as rest... as it was more technique... deflect.... trap.. re-engage on the back side.... shield etc... Unless of course you wiff your run block are rolling on the ground making no contact with anyone and are a PSU lineman....in that case you get a crack back block penalty call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT