ADVERTISEMENT

Statement on Bruce Heim

RTribeck

Mar 4, 2015
Many people have reached out to me via email to ask about the Bruce Heim matter (far too many to respond individually to each).

I don't know Bruce Heim personally, but I do not support, in any way, shape, or form, Mr. Heim assuming any role during Saturday's football game. I have made my position clear to others as well. I can only hope that logic and reasonableness prevail, and that Mr. Heim does not participate tomorrow.

I do want people to know that this was NOT a decision of the board, nor was it a decision of the administration or athletic department. I have been vocal in my criticism when warranted, but this decision was not made by the above. Had it been presented to the board, I most certainly would have argued vociferously against it for many reasons.

Tomorrow is a day to honor our military, not to address and discuss anything whatsoever related to Jerry Sandusky. Anything that takes away from that is wrong. Irrespective of anyone's position on Mr. Heim, because of his relationship to the Second Mile, his mere participation will have a negative impact on a very positive event. I truly hope that the decision is reversed.

Many people have reached out to me via email to ask about the Bruce Heim matter (far too many to respond individually to each).

I don't know Bruce Heim personally, but I do not support, in any way, shape, or form, Mr. Heim assuming any role during Saturday's football game. I have made my position clear to others as well. I can only hope that logic and reasonableness prevail, and that Mr. Heim does not participate tomorrow.

I do want people to know that this was NOT a decision of the board, nor was it a decision of the administration or athletic department. I have been vocal in my criticism when warranted, but this decision was not made by the above. Had it been presented to the board, I most certainly would have argued vociferously against it for many reasons.

Tomorrow is a day to honor our military, not to address and discuss anything whatsoever related to Jerry Sandusky. Anything that takes away from that is wrong. Irrespective of anyone's position on Mr. Heim, because of his relationship to the Second Mile, his mere participation will have a negative impact on a very positive event. I truly hope that the decision is reversed.
TY

Thank you for the statement Rob.

What, if anything, can you guys do as alum reps on the BOT to stop this from happening? Surely this isn't something that is set in stone is it? There's has to be dozens of other PSU military vets that could take Heim's place with short notice.

call up mccombie and tell him to take back the nomination...shouldn't you guys all be on the same page here?

Reactions: WeR0206

Thank you very much, but I am pretty sure that in the end the administration and the athletic department are in charge of who steps on that field. Certainly I agree it would be a ridiculous stretch to assume the Board had any reason to be involved in it. Except that in this case a board member was. I appreciate that you have made you position known.

Thank you very much, but I am pretty sure that in the end the administration and the athletic department are in charge of who steps on that field. Certainly I agree it would be a ridiculous stretch to assume the Board had any reason to be involved in it. Except that in this case a board member was. I appreciate that you have made you position known.

If not "in charge"....certainly "responsible"

If one of my buddies on the BOT ( :) ) had nominated me for a similar honor, I have no doubt that it would have been nixed by SOMEONE in the Administration.

When it comes time to honor Joe Paterno, everyone will say, "Yeah, but remember when Penn State tried to honor that Second Mile guy? Sick, delusional cult!"

If Penn State is claiming they have no control over who gets to stand on the 50 yard line tomorrow, how can anyone try to say Joe Paterno should have banned Sandusky from PSU facilities?

Thank you, sir.

Thank you for your response and speaking out. We all appreciate it. I would echo what another poster asked- if the BoT, administration, and athletic department were not involved in this decision then who made the decision?

Well said... But Judas is upon us!

The decision was made by a Military Appreciation Day Committee chaired by Mike DiRaimo.

Thanks Zenophile. Appreciate it. Pardon my ignorance but who is Mike DiRaimo and do you know who else was on that committee?

I do appreciate your stating your position and explaining the basis for Mr. Heim's selection as you understand it. As demlion said, it is difficult to believe the administration, or the AD, cannot dictate who appears on the field at a Penn State football game. If they let Mr. Heim appear, as the old maxim states, their "silence gives consent." For those who have expressed concerns about Ms. Barbour, this is just another arrow in their quiver. As for the Administration, it is more evidence of their agenda driven arrogance.

Last edited:
Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
The decision was made by a Military Appreciation Day Committee chaired by Mike DiRaimo.
Or....not.

Lets be honest....it was Ryan - he, to his credit, said so himself.

As much as it may have looked like an OG BOT move (and I had hoped it was)....as much as it would be par for the course for the folks in ICA......it wasn't

Those folks have done plenty to "Kick the Penn State community in the nuts".....and I am sure they will make plenty of similar moves going forward.
But, we probably should be fair wrt this issue.

Now.....now that the inevitable shitstorm has descended......should folks in ICA and the University Administration be accountable for (not) mitigating this disaster? Yeah, that would be a fair critique.
I think we can all "have at 'em" in that regard.

Last edited:
He took individual responsibility for nominating Heim, but the full committee bears the responsibility for approving him.
I see where you're coming from....and that is a reasonable tack, given the dearth of information.

If I can suggest, lets see if a more definitive statement is forthcoming later today (hopefully)....and if not, we can discuss it further.

Reactions: Zenophile

The question isn't as much now as who made decision, but rather what PSU's management will decide to do in response. Obviously, PSU deferred some authority to whomever made the decision, whether it be DiRaimo, McCombie, or someone else. So now the athletic dept./administration/BOT, either collectively or singularly, has a decision to make, which is whether to continue with Heim as the coin toss rep. or to scratch it. A decision to let the Heim choice as made from someone lower down the food chain to stand is the same as the athletic dept./administration/and BOT as making that decision themselves as they are reaffirming it.

That decision will be whether to heed the criticism of many or to honor one. Heim may have seem like a good choice due to his service, connection to both Army/West Point and PSU, and status as an Army football alum, but there is a significant black mark on him due to his direct involvement with the Sandusky situation. This isn't Heim appreciation night so if he stays then it will be because someone insisted that he stayed. There are plenty of military personel to be at the game, randomly pick one to be honored at the coin flip and that will be a feel good story that will sidestep the controversy rather than insisting to choose to honor one man. The choice to not replace Heim actually elevates the importance of the decision and conveys that the honor is about him rather than finding a suitable replacement. It is no longer a choice for Heim as a representative, but a choice for Heim himself.

If Heim stays as the coin-toss representative then we can only assume the Barron or the BOT approved it. The buck stops at top of management. Lots of ill-conceived or even well-intention, but poor choices get made, but it is not at the point where it cannot be corrected. The refusal to correct it will be the decision that rests with the administration and the BOT. We appreciate the clarification that this was not a deliberate move by the administration or BOT, but the choice now lies there. And the fact that Heim has stated that he cannot do the honorable thing and concede for someone else to be at the coin toss because that might suggest that the Second Mile was responsible only reaffirms his poor judgement. Sandusky was convicted of molesting multiple Second Mile children so how can they not bear responsibility...they might not have known or endorsed his actions, but they clearly failed in their monitoring and reporting of him. In NCAA terms, that's Lack of Institutional Control. Heim is putting self before military, which is a bit ironic given his West Point education, but maybe someone will have the good sense suggest that being an honorable coin flipper is not that important of issue to needlessly invite bad publicity.

Last edited:
The question isn't as much now as who made decision, but rather what PSU's management will decide to do in response. Obviously, PSU deferred some authority to whomever made the decision, whether it be DiRaimo, McCombie, or someone else. So now the athletic dept./administration/BOT, either collectively or singularly, has a decision to make, which is whether to continue with Heim as the coin toss rep. or to scratch it. A decision to let the Heim choice as made from someone lower down the food chain to stand is the same as the athletic dept./administration/and BOT as making that decision themselves as they are reaffirming it.

That decision will be whether to heed the criticism of many or to honor one. Heim may have seem like a good choice due to his service, connection to both Army/West Point and PSU, and status as an Army football alum, but there is a significant black mark on him due to his direct involvement with the Sandusky situation. This isn't Heim appreciation night so if he stays then it will be because someone insisted that he stayed. There are plenty of military personel to be at the game, randomly pick one to be honored at the coin flip and that will be a feel good story that will sidestep the controversy rather than insisting to choose to honor one man. The choice to not replace Heim actually elevates the importance of the decision and conveys that the honor is about him rather than finding a suitable replacement. It is no longer a choice for Heim as a representative, but a choice for Heim himself.

If Heim stays as the coin-toss representative then we can only assume the Barron or the BOT approved it. The buck stops at top of management. Lots of ill-conceived or even well-intention, but poor choices get made, but it is not at the point where it cannot be corrected. The refusal to correct it will be the decision that rests with the administration and the BOT. We appreciate the clarification that this was a deliberate move by the administration or BOT, but the choice now lies there. And the fact that Heim has stated that he cannot do the honorable thing and concede for someone else to be at the coin toss because that might suggest that the Second Mile was responsible only reaffirms his poor judgement. Sandusky was convicted of molesting multiple Second Mile children so how can they not bear responsibility...they might not have known or endorsed his actions, but they clearly failed in their monitoring and reporting of him. In NCAA terms, that's Lack of Institutional Control. Heim is putting self before military, which is a bit ironic given his West Point education, but maybe someone will have the good sense suggest that being an honorable coin flipper is not that important of issue to needlessly invite bad publicity.

Bump +1

If Heim stays as the coin-toss representative then we can only assume the Barron or the BOT approved it. The buck stops at top of management. Lots of ill-conceived or even well-intention, but poor choices get made, but it is not at the point where it cannot be corrected. The refusal to correct it will be the decision that rests with the administration and the BOT. We appreciate the clarification that this was a deliberate move by the administration or BOT, but the choice now lies there. And the fact that Heim has stated that he cannot do the honorable thing and concede for someone else to be at the coin toss because that might suggest that the Second Mile was responsible only reaffirms his poor judgement. Sandusky was convicted of molesting multiple Second Mile children so how can they not bear responsibility...they might not have known or endorsed his actions, but they clearly failed in their monitoring and reporting of him. In NCAA terms, that's Lack of Institutional Control. Heim is putting self before military, which is a bit ironic given his West Point education, but maybe someone will have the good sense suggest that being an honorable coin flipper is not that important of issue to needlessly invite bad publicity.

+1 Well said, sir.

Rob,

Thank you for temporarily taking the Talking Stick and concisely sharing your thoughts. That is all we ask.

Reactions: Zenophile
DiRaimo is the VP of Governmental Affairs.

Ryan McCombie served on the committee (& is apparently responsible for having nominated Mr. Heim).
FWIW........DiRaimo is the point man (aka...chief whore) in the Scoundrels attempts to barricade the PA Senate's attempts to pass BOT Reform legislation.

diraimo.jpg

WHERE DOES PSU KEEP FINDING THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!

"Star Wars" fans would recall this: When the Evil Bastards needed mercenaries, they had Jango Fett clone an entire army:

th

Somewhere in Old Main.....in the room next to the Magical Cash-Crapping Unicorn.....is there a laboratory where they crank out these vacuous, soul-less, mercenary autobots?

th

Steve Dunham......PSU VP and General Counsel, ie Lead Dementor

th

Regis Becker....."Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer", ie in charge of signing his name to whatever obfuscating tripe the boys shuffle off to his desk, hired from PPG in Pittsburgh.

th

Allison Newhart.....Associate General Counsel, co-opted from "Saul Ewing" (the folks down in Philadelphia who are the Keepers of the Freeh File)

th

No introduction needed........Home Grown

th

Frank Guadagnino.....Associate General Counsel, co-opted from Reed Smith (Pearlie Peetzie's Go-To-Guy)

th

The Six Million Dollar "Man".......Home Grown, with a little "seasoning" at the Harvard of Panhandle

lawyer-kimberly-j-kisner-photo-781601.jpg

Jennifer Jacobs......Associate General Counsel, cohort of Dicky Dandrea - co-opted from Eckert Seamans in Pittsburgh

Del-Giorno_Bio.jpg

Julie Del Giornio......Athletics Integrity Officer, ie "Flood Control Engineer, stationed in the Atacama Desert". Be careful now, she's got one of them there Bronze Stars, just like Bruce.

etc etc etc .............

Last edited:
FWIW........DiRaimo is the point man (aka...chief whore) in the Scoundrels attempts to barricade the PA Senate's attempts to pass BOT Reform legislation.

diraimo.jpg

"Star Wars" fans would recall this: When the Evil Bastards needed mercenaries, they had Jango Fett clone an entire army:

th

Somewhere in Old Main.....in the room next to the Magical Cash-Crapping Unicorn.....is there a laboratory where they crank out these vacuous, soul-less, mercenary autobots?

th

th

Regis Becker....."Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer", ie in charge of signing his name to whatever obfuscating tripe the boys shuffle off to his desk, hired from PPG in Pittsburgh.

th

Allison Newhart.....Associate General Counsel, co-opted from "Saul Ewing" (the folks down in Philadelphia who are the Keepers of the Freeh File)

th

th

Frank Guadagnino.....Associate General Counsel, co-opted from Reed Smith (Pearlie Peetzie's Go-To-Guy)

th

The Six Million Dollar "Man".......Home Grown, with a little "seasoning" at the Harvard of Panhandle

Jennifer Jacobs......Associate General Counsel, cohort of Dicky Dandrea - co-opted from Eckert Seamans in Pittsburgh

Del-Giorno_Bio.jpg

Julie Del Giornio......Athletics Integrity Officer, ie "Flood Control Engineer, stationed in the Atacama Desert". Be careful now, she's got one of them there Bronze Stars, just like Bruce.

diraimo.jpg

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

Del-Giorno_Bio.jpg

I just broke a rib laughing...........

In response to your question about where Penn State finds these people: I dare you to attend a fundraiser or a big game tailgate put on by one of the political parties. You will meet 100 Ted Knights from Caddyshack. All will either work at Penn State, have some connection to the revenue of the university or otherwise profit from the university. I'm serious. It's scary to see some many people who really are driven by country club self-interest.

In response to your question about where Penn State finds these people: I dare you to attend a fundraiser or a big game tailgate put on by one of the political parties. You will meet 100 Ted Knights from Caddyshack. All will either work at Penn State, have some connection to the revenue of the university or otherwise profit from the university. I'm serious. It's scary to see some many people who really are driven by country club self-interest.
Absolutely. I know. I live here :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT