ADVERTISEMENT

SNAP director David Clohessy praises court ruling for NCAA

The NCAA virtually never allows a case to get to trial, so your whole commentary is moot. This case will never see a jury even if it means Emmert donating a lung and a kidney in the settlement.

The NCAA already caved in the Corman case. They know they can't win, and don't want certain things revealed, as does the BoT and PSU Admins. Along with some outsiders, TSMers and politicians. Toss in some Judges. They're stalling as long as possible.

Of course, the issue for the ncaa is that the Paternos have no interest in a settlement. Even if the ncaa agrees to a campaign to publicly admit fault and praise Joe and his legacy, the Paternos won't agree to it because they want the truth through discovery and depositions. They also aren't looking for money, which the ncaa would try to flash a lot of in a proposed settlement.

Reactions: ralpieE
I am pretty sure that would require both parties to agree to it. From what I have read, the Paternos are not interested in a settlement, they are interested in whatever the truth is, and are willing to take their chances in a court. Nothing that I can recall reading has indicated the Paternos are willing to settle.

So Emmert can donate a lung, kidney, liver or whatever, but if the Paternos don't want it - it doesn't matter.
I've posted about this in the past - I don't think that it's that the Paternos aren't willing to settle. The big difference is that they aren't interested in money. Most people who sue the NCAA are looking for $$$$$$$. The NCAA has historically avoided trial because of the risk their power would be weakened. So normally, if a case gets close to trial, they've been able to pay off whoever is suing them to a avoid a trial judgement.

What each side wants is a mismatch. But the Paternos can still get the evidence out there and the NCAA can still avoid a judgement. I expect a settlement because there is little either side has to gain by pushing this to a ruling. The NCAA risks being weakened; and the Paternos risk a quirky victory that let's them say they "won" but does little to alter public perception.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA throw the BOT cabal under the bus in the end.

I've posted about this in the past - I don't think that it's that the Paternos aren't willing to settle. The big difference is that they aren't interested in money. Most people who sue the NCAA are looking for $$$$$$$. The NCAA has historically avoided trial because of the risk their power would be weakened. So normally, if a case gets close to trial, they've been able to pay off whoever is suing them to a avoid a trial judgement.

What each side wants is a mismatch. But the Paternos can still get the evidence out there and the NCAA can still avoid a judgement. I expect a settlement because there is little either side has to gain by pushing this to a ruling. The NCAA risks being weakened; and the Paternos risk a quirky victory that let's them say they "won" but does little to alter public perception.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA throw the BOT cabal under the bus in the end.
What I don't understand is why the NCAA is still protecting Rodney and the cabal. It would be easy breezy at this point to completely pass blame over. I'm very surprised that strategy hasn't been employed yet.

Reactions: WeR0206 and ralpieE
Discovery is the key. I think they already know what they are looking for (Sollers). This is why the big stall by the BoT/politician/NCAA/BigTen cabal.

I've said this a while ago . . . all the hand waving by the dipwads cannot change the fact that Sollers knows what exists, where it exists, and what it says. and that he will get it eventually

What I don't understand is why the NCAA is still protecting Rodney and the cabal. It would be easy breezy at this point to completely pass blame over. I'm very surprised that strategy hasn't been employed yet.

Have to remember we've only seen a fraction of the emails and correspondence b/w the NCAA and PSU leadership. There are mountains more that both sides do not want to see the light of day and are fighting tooth and nail to keep hidden. Do the math and NCAA has a huge self interest in not throwing the PSU leadership under the bus.

Saying "well they wanted us to punish them so we did" still doesn't make it within the NCAA's realm of its own bylaws to do so.

Reactions: Ski

You never know.......but - with respect to who gets left without a chair when the music stops - my money is on Louis Freeh.

I've felt that way for a long time, for a lot of reasons (that I posted here quite some time ago).....but in the end I believe the keys are:

- That's Louis' job, and a job that he is paid handsomely to perform (once you accept payment as a whore...it is tough to say "sorry, I've got a headache") .
and
- All in all, "taking one for the team" IMPROVES Louis' future income potential.....it would be another example of Louis performing exactly the type of service that his typical clients are looking for..
and
- The ultimately indefensible piece of garbage "report" does - indeed - have his name on the cover.
and
- All of the other "scumbags and scoundrels" have a line of logic available that would make pointing the finger at Louis a palatable and "PR defensible" option.

We shall see

Reactions: ralpieE

Because its an admission what they did was wrong. They'd definitely be on the hook then, even if they got to share the blame.

I think the plaintiffs are going to have a hard time meeting the burden of proof on many of their charges.

Jay and Kenny's contentions are laughable at best and I think a second year law student could probably do an admirable job defending against them considering neither were named in any NCAA documents.

While JVP was named in the consent decree, it was based on his name appearing in the Freeh report which the NCAA relied on as a factual document produced by a former highly regarded Judge and Director of the FBI. Further, JVP was a public figure and the burden of proof in slander/libel cases for public figures is considerably higher than someone unknown. Public officials, public figures, and limited-purpose public figures must show that the statements were made with knowledge that the statements were false or with reckless disregard of whether they were false. Good luck proving that.

The NCAA in its most recent answer to plaintiffs complaint lays out what I think is a pretty reasonable argument as to why it thought it had the right to act against PSU. Further, there have been a fair amount of depositions and documents already obtained through Corman's efforts. I haven't seen anything in them that I believe isn't defensible by the NCAA.

PSU is tied to FSS and FSS has two of the more highly regarded judges in the country in Freeh and Sporkin (also a PSU alum). Don't discount their influence on Leete.

Finally, King and Spalding has its own issues as a firm to deal with right now which could weigh on Wink Wink's time to adequately prepare.
Only you would refer to Freeh as a highly regarded Director of the FBI and Judge. Several of his investigations have been criticized as having conclusions predetermined and biased towards his employer. His tenure in the FBI was an unmitigated train wreck. Google much?
Freeh was hired by Nasser Kazeminy to conduct an independent investigation into alleged financial improprieties in the relationship between Kazeminy and former Senator Norm Coleman that surfaced during the final week of the 2008 Minnesota Senate race.[40] At the time, Freeh was serving on the board of the National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations (NECO), whose chairman was Kazeminy.[41] Although Coleman had received roughly $100,000 in gifts from Kazeminy over the years, Freeh's investigation cleared both Coleman and Kazeminy of any wrongdoing in 2011.[40][42] The Intercept, questioning Freeh's impartiality, reported that nine days after Freeh's investigation cleared Kazeminy of wrongdoing, Freeh's wife received a one half ownership stake from Kazeminy in a Palm Beach property valued at $3 million.[43]
In 2009, Louis Freeh was hired by Saudi Arabian Prince Bandar bin Sultan as his legal representative on issues surrounding the Al-Yamamah arms deal, appearing April 7, 2009 on the PBS series Frontline's episode "Black Money".[44]
In late May 2011, Freeh was retained as an independent investigator by the Ethics Committee of FIFA in the bribery scandal centering on Mohammed bin Hammam and Jack Warner.[45] However, the Court of Arbitration of Sports subsequently rejected Freeh's report as consisting of little more than speculation.[46]

Reactions: Ski and simons96
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT