ADVERTISEMENT

SNAP director David Clohessy praises court ruling for NCAA

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001

July 07, 2015 12:40 PM

PA--Victims applaud ruling in Paterno lawsuit
For immediate release: Tuesday, July 7

Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests SNAPclohessy@aol.com)

We applaud a new court ruling that gives the NCAA a chance to respond in detail to allegations that the association acted wrongly in the Penn State case. It’s important that the NCAA have this opportunity to defend itself. It may deter other athletic programs that are disciplined in the future for refusing to put the safety of the innocent over the success of the team.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...e-despite-paterno-estates-objections,1464633/

Jay Paterno and William Kenney profess a concern that this decision will delay a resolution in the case. But getting it right is more important than getting it over.

(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. SNAP was founded in 1988 and has more than 20,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

Contact - David Clohessy SNAPclohessy@aol.com), Barbara Dorris bblaine@snapnetwork.org)

Link: http://www.snapnetwork.org/pa_victims_applaud_ruling_in_paterno_lawsuit?recruiter_id=342

------------------------------------

Remember, David Clohessy is the same guy who knew about his pedophile priest of a brother Kevin -- AND DID NOTHING.

Last edited:
Like I said above, trolls will eat this up and make all sorts of inane conclusions from it.

Reactions: jjsocrates

Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests SNAPclohessy@aol.com)

We applaud a new court ruling that gives the NCAA a chance to respond in detail to allegations that the association acted wrongly in the Penn State case. It’s important that the NCAA have this opportunity to defend itself. It may deter other athletic programs that are disciplined in the future for refusing to put the safety of the innocent over the success of the team.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...e-despite-paterno-estates-objections,1464633/

Jay Paterno and William Kenney profess a concern that this decision will delay a resolution in the case. But getting it right is more important than getting it over.

(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. SNAP was founded in 1988 and has more than 20,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

Contact - David Clohessy SNAPclohessy@aol.com), Barbara Dorris bblaine@snapnetwork.org)

Link: http://www.snapnetwork.org/pa_victims_applaud_ruling_in_paterno_lawsuit?recruiter_id=342
Like I said above, trolls will eat this up and make all sorts of inane conclusions from it.

ChiTownLion is a treasured friend to most on this board. I’ve been reading his posts since the mid 2000’s & enjoyed the information he contributes.Besides, his avatar is really neat!

ChiTownLion is a treasured friend to most on this board. I’ve been reading his posts since the mid 2000’s & enjoyed the information he contributes.Besides, his avatar is really neat!

I like Chi's reports as well. My point was trolls are going to read the ruling and come up with all kinds of drivel, the Paternos are going to lose, the Judge knows it, etc.

Reactions: step.eng69
Why would SNAP want to pin this on a football program? Shouldn't they care that CYS and the Second Mile were hugely responsible for this? CYS let him adopt kids after allegations. SNAP is cool with that?

I like Chi's reports as well. My point was trolls are going to read the ruling and come up with all kinds of drivel, the Paternos are going to lose, the Judge knows it, etc.

I LIKE YOU TOO ralpieE

th

Why would SNAP want to pin this on a football program? Shouldn't they care that CYS and the Second Mile were hugely responsible for this? CYS let him adopt kids after allegations. SNAP is cool with that?

It brings attention to their organization - never miss an opportunity bring attention to your organization even though they got the whole PSU issue wrong. Right or wrong does not diminish their "cause", it's just a useful tool.

Remember, David Clohessy is the same guy who knew about his pedophile priest of a brother Kevin -- AND DID NOTHING.

Not sure they actually understand this filing. But agree, this is about getting it right. Wonder what their press release will say when the Judge says the NCAA was wrong.

Not sure they actually understand this filing. But agree, this is about getting it right. Wonder what their press release will say when the Judge says the NCAA was wrong.

Predictable - they'll conclude that the court got it wrong.

Apparently not. I exchanged a series of e-mails with Chlohessey a while back when he took a similar misinformed position vis-a-vis this subject. After telling him that his insistence on blaming Paterno and other officials at PSU while simultaneously continuing to give a free pass to CYS and the Second Mile, the real culprits, made him an enabler, I got the same type of response I always receive from the haters over the years when they realize they have no legitimate defense to my points which is that well others may deserve SOME blame too. As one of the other posters stated, none of these people give a royal rat's you know what about genuinely protecting kids from abuse.

$60,000,000

Next!

Last edited:

A judge won't be making any decisions on whether the NCAA did anything wrong because the plaintiffs have asked for trial by jury, . Barring one composed mostly of Joebots, I think the NCAA has a fair chance of prevailing in this lawsuit. Also, the court has already dismissed the plaintiff's contract claims and a number of the original plaintiffs have reconsidered their positions and withdrawn from the action.

Don't forget, this issue gave them, what, $60m from PSU? Why would they fight that ruling (even if the money can't be given back)?

A judge won't be making any decisions on whether the NCAA did anything wrong because the plaintiffs have asked for trial by jury, . Barring one composed mostly of Joebots, I think the NCAA has a fair chance of prevailing in this lawsuit. Also, the court has already dismissed the plaintiff's contract claims and a number of the original plaintiffs have reconsidered their positions and withdrawn from the action.

Damn straight, 66. Stupid Joebots!

So why do you think the NCAA has a fair chance of prevailing on the remaining claims from the plaintiff's?

So why do you think the NCAA has a fair chance of prevailing on the remaining claims from the plaintiff's?

I think the plaintiffs are going to have a hard time meeting the burden of proof on many of their charges.

Jay and Kenny's contentions are laughable at best and I think a second year law student could probably do an admirable job defending against them considering neither were named in any NCAA documents.

While JVP was named in the consent decree, it was based on his name appearing in the Freeh report which the NCAA relied on as a factual document produced by a former highly regarded Judge and Director of the FBI. Further, JVP was a public figure and the burden of proof in slander/libel cases for public figures is considerably higher than someone unknown. Public officials, public figures, and limited-purpose public figures must show that the statements were made with knowledge that the statements were false or with reckless disregard of whether they were false. Good luck proving that.

The NCAA in its most recent answer to plaintiffs complaint lays out what I think is a pretty reasonable argument as to why it thought it had the right to act against PSU. Further, there have been a fair amount of depositions and documents already obtained through Corman's efforts. I haven't seen anything in them that I believe isn't defensible by the NCAA.

PSU is tied to FSS and FSS has two of the more highly regarded judges in the country in Freeh and Sporkin (also a PSU alum). Don't discount their influence on Leete.

Finally, King and Spalding has its own issues as a firm to deal with right now which could weigh on Wink Wink's time to adequately prepare.

Jay and Kenny's contentions are laughable at best and I think a second year law student could probably do an admirable job defending against them considering neither were named in any NCAA documents.

I wonder if the story of Jay Paterno and Drew Astorino nearly brawling at halftime of the 2011 Illinois game comes up in the trial. Will Michael Mauti, perhaps, get called in as a character witness as regards Jay?

I wonder if the story of Jay Paterno and Drew Astorino nearly brawling at halftime of the 2011 Illinois game comes up in the trial. Will Michael Mauti, perhaps, get called in as a character witness as regards Jay?

Why would irrelevant things come up?

Quit wondering, they won't.

Don't know about that but the NCAA said they might call me for the defense with respect to Jay threatening to sue me for slander. :D

Last edited:
Why would irrelevant things come up?

Quit wondering, they won't.

Evidence as to the real reason Jay Paterno doesn't have a coaching job right now.

“That dude was an example of everything a coach should not be.” --- kind of a relevant quote, I would think.

Evidence as to the real reason Jay Paterno doesn't have a coaching job right now.

“That dude was an example of everything a coach should not be.” --- kind of a relevant quote, I would think.

Completely irrelevant.

It's a shame how some alums and "fans" despise Paterno and his family so much after everything they did for PSU. Penn State would not have become the place it once was without Joe Paterno yet people just love bashing the guy and everything he stood for. He was a good and decent man but I swear some on this board would cut out his heart and eat it if he was still alive. I am constantly reminded that there are more than a few really evil and vile people in this world and it is clear that michshitlion and cruising route 666 are 2 of them.

I think the plaintiffs are going to have a hard time meeting the burden of proof on many of their charges.

While JVP was named in the consent decree, it was based on his name appearing in the Freeh report which the NCAA relied on as a factual document produced by a former highly regarded Judge and Director of the FBI. Further, JVP was a public figure and the burden of proof in slander/libel cases for public figures is considerably higher than someone unknown. Public officials, public figures, and limited-purpose public figures must show that the statements were made with knowledge that the statements were false or with reckless disregard of whether they were false. Good luck proving that.

The NCAA in its most recent answer to plaintiffs complaint lays out what I think is a pretty reasonable argument as to why it thought it had the right to act against PSU. Further, there have been a fair amount of depositions and documents already obtained through Corman's efforts. I haven't seen anything in them that I believe isn't defensible by the NCAA.

PSU is tied to FSS and FSS has two of the more highly regarded judges in the country in Freeh and Sporkin (also a PSU alum). Don't discount their influence on Leete.

Finally, King and Spalding has its own issues as a firm to deal with right now which could weigh on Wink Wink's time to adequately prepare.
with reckless disregard of whether they were false

Reactions: 91Joe95
The NCAA virtually never allows a case to get to trial, so your whole commentary is moot. This case will never see a jury even if it means Emmert donating a lung and a kidney in the settlement.

Reactions: Ski and ralpieE
The consent decree imposed real damages, not just slander/libel, and there is already plenty of evidence of "reckless disregard" on the NCAA's part.

The consent decree imposed real damages, not just slander/libel, and there is already plenty of evidence of "reckless disregard" on the NCAA's part.

The NCAA already caved in the Corman case. They know they can't win, and don't want certain things revealed, as does the BoT and PSU Admins. Along with some outsiders, TSMers and politicians. Toss in some Judges. They're stalling as long as possible.

The NCAA virtually never allows a case to get to trial, so your whole commentary is moot. This case will never see a jury even if it means Emmert donating a lung and a kidney in the settlement.

I am pretty sure that would require both parties to agree to it. From what I have read, the Paternos are not interested in a settlement, they are interested in whatever the truth is, and are willing to take their chances in a court. Nothing that I can recall reading has indicated the Paternos are willing to settle.

So Emmert can donate a lung, kidney, liver or whatever, but if the Paternos don't want it - it doesn't matter.

The NCAA already caved in the Corman case. They know they can't win, and don't want certain things revealed, as does the BoT and PSU Admins. Along with some outsiders, TSMers and politicians. Toss in some Judges. They're stalling as long as possible.

They caved because Corman allowed them to. He had a different goal than the Paternos/PSU fans do, and as such, had no desire to agree to a court case.

I am pretty sure that would require both parties to agree to it. From what I have read, the Paternos are not interested in a settlement, they are interested in whatever the truth is, and are willing to take their chances in a court. Nothing that I can recall reading has indicated the Paternos are willing to settle.

So Emmert can donate a lung, kidney, liver or whatever, but if the Paternos don't want it - it doesn't matter.

The NCAA already tried to settle with them. The Paternos said no, despite the fictions of trolls that it was the Paternos who wanted to settle.

The Paternos win if they get access to key Freeh documents and they get to court. Then all of their relevant discovery becomes public. That's when they win. They do not need a favorable court ruling to win. Opening up the discovery info to the public is the victory because it will bury Freeh, Frazier, Corbett, and CR66's other friends.

The Paternos win if they get access to key Freeh documents and they get to court. Then all of their relevant discovery becomes public. That's when they win. They do not need a favorable court ruling to win. Opening up the discovery info to the public is the victory because it will bury Freeh, Frazier, Corbett, and CR66's other friends.

Discovery is the key. I think they already know what they are looking for (Sollers). This is why the big stall by the BoT/politician/NCAA/BigTen cabal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT