ADVERTISEMENT

Slow pitch softball foul tip/foul ball question for Umpires.

SEPATOPTEN

Aug 21, 2010
Has the rule been changed in slow pitch Arc league softball recently that requires a foul ball to reach or go over the height of the batters head for the Catcher to be able to record a put out on a tipped foul ball? I have seen posts claiming this rule has been changed just this year. Can anybody help?

Professional baseball question. A player can NOT leave the field of play to field a ball. If an outfielder falls over the centerfield fence and makes a catch it is a homerun. Is that correct?

Why do I see players leave the field of play and make catches in the infield stands? Shouldn't that be a foul ball?

Last edited:
top of page 22

FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes directly from the bat not higher than the batter’s head, tothe catcher’s hands and is legally caught. First contact from bat must be the catcher’s hands.

Thank you. I have seen all the interpretations but have recently been told of a possible change in the 2024 rule book. I had a foul ball put out last night recorded by the catcher due to the fact the ball had an obvious arc as the rule states it must to be a foul ball instead of a foul tip.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT