ADVERTISEMENT

Separate Corey Smith thread: anyone else think he could transition to slot WR?

I likehim as much as an athlete as a RB.
It's possible as is Martin being a better fit in another position. Both are very impressive athletes that could potentially do multiple things at the next level. I say bring them both in and see how they develop. If they stick at rb, great. If they develop into a different role, that's fine too. They are elite athletes and you cannot have enough of those.

Maybe. But, if he's 6' 180", then his QB must be 6'8". I like him a lot, but probably as a RB.

Maybe. But, if he's 6' 180", then his QB must be 6'8". I like him a lot, but probably as a RB.

Saquon Barkley was 180 lbs as a junior going into his senior season. Not that this guy is going to blow up as much as Barkley. Time will tell what position he plays but his jump cut ability, vision and sense of when to accelerate and decelerate are phenomenal and will serve him well whatever position he grows into.

Last edited:
Why does it matter what we like? He hasn't committed to PSU yet. I'll bet the coaching staff will figure out where he should play.

Why does it matter what we like? He hasn't committed to PSU yet. I'll bet the coaching staff will figure out where he should play.
This is called a discussion board, not a mandate board. We are discussing an interesting topic about a multi-talented commit. Iimagine the coaching staff engages in similar, albeit more informed, discussions about some players.

This is called a discussion board, not a mandate board. We are discussing an interesting topic about a multi-talented commit. Iimagine the coaching staff engages in similar, albeit more informed, discussions about some players.
Did he commit?

Guess we are only permitted under Marshall Law to discuss commits and not prospects. Please don't arrest us, no-one told us that rule.
It was stated that you were discussing a commit. I missed it if he did. I asked if he has indeed done so. You are permitted to post whatever you like. I thought I had similar privileges. If my posts annoy you, put me on ignore.

It was stated that you were discussing a commit. I missed it if he did. I asked if he has indeed done so. You are permitted to post whatever you like. I thought I had similar privileges. If my posts annoy you, put me on ignore.
Commit or prospect likely to commit, he is a promising athlete. Whatever coaching staff he commits to will have those discussions, as will the fan base of that school.

Saquon Barkley was 180 lbs as a junior going into his senior season. Not that this guy is going to blow up as much as Barkley. Time will tell what position he plays but his jump cut ability, vision and sense of when to accelerate and decelerate are phenomenal and will serve him well whatever position he grows into.
I wasn’t questioning the 180. It was the 6’ that I seriously doubt.

Commit or prospect likely to commit, he is a promising athlete. Whatever coaching staff he commits to will have those discussions, as will the fan base of that school.
I'll bet the coaching staff has already discussed their vision of how and where he fits in at PSU. Both staff wise and with Corey and his family. 4 stars don't commit unless they are compatible with what the coaching staff projects for them in the program.

No one ever claimed Barkley was 6'. Why the hell are you arguing with me about this?

You're upset because I ask about facts. I suggest you stay away from schools. You seem highly upset over nothing. That's not good.

Last edited:
I’m going to end this crazy running back vs wideout nonsense. Let’s just tie him to one of those mid evil torture racks and stretch him up to around 6’ 5” and force feed him food till he’s around 320lbs. That will plug the defensive tackle hole.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I’m going to end this crazy running back vs wideout nonsense. Let’s just tie him to one of those mid evil torture racks and stretch him up to around 6’ 5” and force feed him food till he’s around 320lbs. That will plug the defensive tackle hole.

Great response!

The kid is 17. But some will find it to be an attack and/or inexplicable... Lol

Your posts don't annoy me. Someone picks the wrong word... Commit rather than prospect... Should that be a big issue? Not to me. But if it bothers you...I don't care and take no issue with that.

Your posts don't annoy me. Someone picks the wrong word... Commit rather than prospect... Should that be a big issue? Not to me. But if it bothers you...I don't care and take no issue with that.
Actually, I didn't see the point of discussing what position a commit or a possible commit would play. There is zero chance the staff hasn't already given him a full description of the plan they have for him. I think it's been established that premium recruits are given the ability to choose the position they wish to "start" with. For instance Mega Barnwell. If he prefers TE....he's gonna get an opportunity there and see if he's a fit. Down the road they can offer other positions if they see opportunities for the player to fit better there.
Given the portal era, a player who thinks he's a running back is more likely to transfer than change positions.
This particular player has me curious as to why Wisconsin didn't see him as a "take" and we do. That would be my discussion.

Could be as simple as Wisconsin plays boring football and they're looking for 278 lb running backs which are all the rage these days in the cheese curd state
I've got to admit the cheese curds are much more interesting than Wisconsin football.

Could be as simple as Wisconsin plays boring football and they're looking for 278 lb running backs which are all the rage these days in the cheese curd state
I've got to admit the cheese curds are much more interesting than Wisconsin football.
Yep, it's not like they've ever had good RBs. Or the new coach has ever been good at picking talent.

Yep, it's not like they've ever had good RBs. Or the new coach has ever been good at picking talent.

Whatever.. I don't respect the program and you do.

Just curious. You have been around here for a while. Did you ask why UM didn't offer KJ Hamler and PSU did back in the day?

Whatever.. I don't respect the program and you do.

Just curious. You have been around here for a while. Did you ask why UM didn't offer KJ Hamler and PSU did back in the day?
Wisconsin has been pretty solid. It's not like they are Rutgers. They seem to produce pretty good running backs and OL. The answer to your question is simple. Michigan thought they had better prospects on their board. It's an inexact science.

Wisconsin has been pretty solid. It's not like they are Rutgers. They seem to produce pretty good running backs and OL. The answer to your question is simple. Michigan thought they had better prospects on their board. It's an inexact science.

And Eugene Robinson....
...and the King brothers.
Some of these 17 year olds actually tell the top program in their state to stay away... I'm not interested. As you say, some times the local big schools miss on guys. PSU has done it... Every program has...some kids get turned off to a University when their HS head coach feels slighted and he makes it know to to his players. So, it goes...on and on, the melodrama of Div 1 football goes....

The Barry Alvarez System is out, Fickell has brought in Longo to go with something more up tempo and pass-happy. No idea how that correlates with the current in state kids. Penn State might end up with 3 of the top 4.

The Barry Alvarez System is out, Fickell has brought in Longo to go with something more up tempo and pass-happy. No idea how that correlates with the current in state kids. Penn State might end up with 3 of the top 4.

It is easy for me to see what young people from out of state like in our program, the coaching staff, the S&C program, the honesty, the excitement, the fans, the game time environment..the whole package is there..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT