ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Drinking thread to commemorate a Lions Den Member who passed way too soon.

tgar

Nov 14, 2001
Hey Kids, Tgar hopes everyone has had a productive day and now is settled in watching the NASCAR race or season one, episode two of Narcos Mexico While unwinding with a beverage. Its Mount Gay on the rocks with a lime in this corner of the world.

Floyd Howell III passed away last May 28, 2020 at his Florida house while surrounded by family. Floyd was a member of the Lions Den and loved many of you whack jobs. Like many who read here, he was not a guy who posted, he just checked in every day to see what news and nonsense was being discussed. He loved his Nittany Lions. He also loved many of you Den members and when we would get together he would ask about many of you and fondly mention something you had posted @mickey_PSU @Nihilist Rodgers @lionlover etc. Etc.

I knew Floyd was having health issues for the past few years and reached out a couple of times last year during the pandemic to check on him. After a couple of calls with no response or return call I figured something may be up and when football recommenced he would be in touch unless I contacted him first. The other day discussing the upcoming season my wife googled Floyd/ obituary, etc. and sure enough there it was. He had passed away from heart complications and he was I believe 69 years old.

Tgar first met Floyd in Ireland several years ago at the beginning of the CJF era. Tgar and his beautiful wife were standing in a bar in the neighborhood where fans of both teams had gathered pregame as it’s one of the great spots in Dublin to party. The bar was packed, it was early, We Are was being chanted over and over, there wasn’t a seat or place to stand in the house. Tgar and his lady had found a spot to wedge into and we noticed this sort of lonely guy standing a few feet away holding a beer and looking for somewhere to stand. He had a great smile, a bit of a beer belly, untucked shirt, you know the guy, sports fan who doesn’t care what you think like the honey Badger. We could tell he was looking for a space to hang so we invited him over. We introduced ourselves and the conversation started which led to a discussion of the board. He was thrilled to know Tgar was Tgar and thought MK was the biggest asshole on the planet, even bigger than Tgar. We got along right away. During that first encounter he asked about and mentioned many of you and had great respect for all of you as well Particularly you guys and gals that have a higher level of knowledge about football. He enjoyed reading the posts from the experts along with the nonsense the rest of us contribute.

Back in the states, Floyd started attending the Tgar tailgates, always bringing a case of Yuengling Lager which he loved and enjoying the camaraderie including meeting @belizediver and @garw and everyone else that dropped in as well. We had a lot of good times, one of the most memorable was an epic trip to Chicago for a Northwestern game where we started the morning with Bloody Mary’s ( me, my wife, my brother the doctor at U Of Wisconsin and my cousin ) at some epic diner then bought a twelve pack in a pharmacy and pounded on the train during the ride uptown to the stadium. It was an 11 am start and poor performance by the Lions, especially the Special Teams, but that didn’t deter us from making the most of our Chicago party. After the game we grabbed the train, headed back downtown and found one of those amazing deep dish spots and ate and drank for hours like fiends. Fun day!

Floyd loved his University, loved his Frat ( DU ) often could be found crashed in his red pick up truck with camper back and was always making crazy arrangements to make it to as many Penn State games as possible. He owned his own Accounting practice in Florida and St. Mary’s Pa. and primarily lived in Florida. He would fly Southwest to Baltimore late on Fridays, drive in his old Buick to State College, grab his camper from the storage facility, party, crash, show up for the tailgate and in reverse order exit, often catching the first flight out on Sunday morning from BWI. Sometimes I believe he parked his camper at the Frat and enjoyed socializing with the guys their as well. He loved his frat. Sometimes he would call late on his way to school to see if there was an open room at the house and Tgar would find himself partying later than necessary.

He left a large family whom he loved, all of his kids are successful and he would mention them often. He was a really good guy, just an easy going taking it as it comes party animal.

Tgar doesn’t even know what his board handle was since he was a reader and not a writer. In the end it really doesn’t matter. He was a good guy and appreciated that so many of you are good guys and gals as well.

Take care and raise a glass or bottle in Floyd’s honor if you are taking some time to unwind tonight. Thanks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News