ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor Swirling That Big Ten Will Be Adding 4 New Schools This Week

Article says Oregon, Washington, Clemson & FSU.
Oregon & Washington I can believe @ this time but not the two ACC schools. I don't think the B1G wants to become involved in a GOR legal matter.
My thought exactly. If I had to pick 4, it would be Oregon, Washington, ND and maybe ASU which would give them the Portland, Seattle and Phoenix markets. Those idiot ACC schools really screwed up bigtime with that 2036 leaving date. Many want out but are stuck

My thought exactly. If I had to pick 4, it would be Oregon, Washington, ND and maybe ASU which would give them the Portland, Seattle and Phoenix markets. Those idiot ACC schools really screwed up bigtime with that 2036 leaving date. Many want out but are stuck
What’s hilarious is that the marquee valuable brands like FSU and Clemson and to a lesser degree Miami were hoodwinked by schools like Pitt, BC and Syracuse that’ll never have anywhere profitable to go.

What’s hilarious is that the marquee valuable brands like FSU and Clemson and to a lesser degree Miami were hoodwinked by schools like Pitt, BC and Syracuse that’ll never have anywhere profitable to go.
Yep, total dumbasses

Oregon, Washington sure but no way is FSU and Clemson joining a predominantly northern conference. No match anywhere. Those two schools are SEC bound when the time comes.
I do not think Florida wants FSU in the SEC just like we would not want Pitt.

I do not think Florida wants FSU in the SEC just like we would not want Pitt.
I've started reading and posting on the Lair just recently and all I can say is that they are completely ate up with jealousy over anything related to PSU and the B1G. Just WOW. Honest to God, a few of them want to go after Washington, Oregon and one of the Arizona teams for ACC expansion.

Hey Wolve1972, you should take a trip over there to the Lair - if you're not already banned - you'd have a ball

ACC's problem is not the NCAA. Their problem is the GOR TV deal to 2036. Not sure how they get relief without a prolonged and expensive legal battle.
I believe Oregon and Washington will be invited within the next 6 months, but Clemson and FSU seem like total bs. The ACC GOR cannot be broken. The ramifications for those two schools to be on the losing end of this are crushing.

Reactions: ryoder1
ACC's problem is not the NCAA. Their problem is the GOR TV deal to 2036. Not sure how they get relief without a prolonged and expensive legal battle.
This is why I think any rumors about schools leaving the ACC are false. I’ve been able to review the original Grant of Rights document and it’s pretty ironclad.

My gut tells me that if there was a way out of it, FSU and the others would’ve left by now. Heck, Texas has more “resources” than Tallahassee and they determined it couldn’t be broken with three years remaining, let alone 13. I think the ACC will be stable well into the 2030s.

Reactions: step.eng69
That's not quite the same. The SEC would gain a solid FB school. It will happen. This is the way!
What does FSU add to the SEC? They don't need more football schools.
Honestly, FSU doesn't make sense for the Big Ten or the SEC. I don't think Clemson makes sense for the SEC. They'll be going after UNC, Virginia and other school that add markets. I'd expect them to go up the east coast but they have Florida, Georgia and South Carolina so Georgia Tech makes more sense for the Big Ten--I think the Big Ten would go Miami before FSU--not saying I would but they would.

I believe Oregon and Washington will be invited within the next 6 months, but Clemson and FSU seem like total bs. The ACC GOR cannot be broken. The ramifications for those two schools to be on the losing end of this are crushing.
I do not see FSU nor Clemson in the B10. I don't think the B10 school presidents want them. As others have mentioned, there is the ACC GOR which is a huge financial issue. I can see Oregon and Washington jumping off the sinking Pac 9 ship as soon as they can.

What does FSU add to the SEC? They don't need more football schools.
Honestly, FSU doesn't make sense for the Big Ten or the SEC. I don't think Clemson makes sense for the SEC. They'll be going after UNC, Virginia and other school that add markets. I'd expect them to go up the east coast but they have Florida, Georgia and South Carolina so Georgia Tech makes more sense for the Big Ten--I think the Big Ten would go Miami before FSU--not saying I would but they would.
I realize Miami is a big market, but Miami U has very little support and can never come close to filling a stadium. Miami is more of an NFL town and many couldn't care less about Miami U.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I realize Miami is a big market, but Miami U has very little support and can never come close to filling a stadium. Miami is more of an NFL town and many couldn't care less about Miami U.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't think FSU or Miami truly add anything. The Big Ten probably leans towards the better school as it gets us in Florida. UNC and Virginia are way more attractive to the SEC and Big Ten than Clemson, Miami or FSU.

It's like when people thought the Pac XII was going to add Boise State because they were a good G5 team. It's not how it works. Big XII and Pac XII should have merged in 2011. Now both are basically dead. The ACC/Big XII need to consider all options.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't think FSU or Miami truly add anything. The Big Ten probably leans towards the better school as it gets us in Florida. UNC and Virginia are way more attractive to the SEC and Big Ten than Clemson, Miami or FSU.

It's like when people thought the Pac XII was going to add Boise State because they were a good G5 team. It's not how it works. Big XII and Pac XII should have merged in 2011. Now both are basically dead. The ACC/Big XII need to consider all options.
First, I would have to disagree with you on Virginia. Fantastic school and beautiful campus, but awful tv numbers and Pitt level support of the football program. I would like to expand that direction, but the financials do not support that at all. Second, I am curious why you think the Big 12 is dead. They have a new tv deal that provides stability and supports an expanding footprint.

First, I would have to disagree with you on Virginia. Fantastic school and beautiful campus, but awful tv numbers and Pitt level support of the football program. I would like to expand that direction, but the financials do not support that at all. Second, I am curious why you think the Big 12 is dead. They have a new tv deal that provides stability and supports an expanding footprint.
So, truthfully this isn't about football programs and won't be. UCLA isn't a great program currently. Virginia Tech has more potential as a program but UVa will be highly sought after.

The Big Ten and SEC are going to continue to expand. Those left out will be left out completely. There won't be a 3rd or 4th conference. They'll be relegated to essentially G5 status assuming the Big Ten and SEC don't leave the NCAA completely. Comes down to everyone has to do whatever they can to get into the Big Ten or SEC.

There were several articles last week that stated Florida State was looking to join either the BIG or ACC. On Friday, the Florida state board of trustees announced a meeting for August 2. The short notice and timing of an unusual August meeting, has raised some speculation about FSU leaving the ACC
Was that supposed to say or SEC? I just don't see why either takes them now. Everyone wants to get into one of those conferences that isn't aside from ND who's just being stubborn.

So, truthfully this isn't about football programs and won't be. UCLA isn't a great program currently. Virginia Tech has more potential as a program but UVa will be highly sought after.

The Big Ten and SEC are going to continue to expand. Those left out will be left out completely. There won't be a 3rd or 4th conference. They'll be relegated to essentially G5 status assuming the Big Ten and SEC don't leave the NCAA completely. Comes down to everyone has to do whatever they can to get into the Big Ten or SEC.
I disagree wholeheartedly. This is all about the tv money. UCLA was added because it generates tv dollars even when the program is down. In fact, UCLA has more tv viewership than VA and UNC combined. VA has far less viewership than every current B1G school and less viewers than many G5 schools. The B1G is not into charity.

Reactions: psu00
Change FSU to UNC and I might believe it but this stuff doesn't leak like this.
What are you talking about? Colorado leaving the Pac 12 was swirling for weeks. Just like Arizona leaving is in teh rumor mill right now.

What are you talking about? Colorado leaving the Pac 12 was swirling for weeks. Just like Arizona leaving is in teh rumor mill right now.
Talk of Colorado leaving was much more likely Big 12 folks spreading rumors to destabilize the PAC-12 than real intent on the school’s side. They were solid with the PAC if the conference could deliver a TV deal on par with the Big 12 but after months of the conference goofing off without a deal or even a framework for anything, Colorado just decided to pull the plug and go with certainty over staying put (and the higher prestige academically of the PAC). It was certainly easier for them given their location and past ties to the Big 12 and a bunch of the conference members.

Apparently, FSU has had a team of lawyers looking at the ACC GOR for around 2 years. Maybe they found something? Keep in mind AAU is not a requirement, it’s a preference for BIG membership. As one poster noted above this really is the check-mate move. Notre Dame probably has one last chance after this if it’s true.

A realistic, and likely even, path for the B1G is to go down the coast UVA, UNC, Clemson GA Tech, Florida State (Miami maybe as well). Bold. Revenue shares can start lower and grow. Recruiting pipeline is key, top players make top programs, and top programs draw eyeballs. Also, it's not just the $30M or $40M these programs get in their current TV deals, it is the $10M shaved off each the remnants that also accrue to the B1G by devaluing the rest of the leftover conference, more marquee matchups, recruiting, etc. Obviously the SEC isn't going to stand pat and let it just happen. I think similar with Oregon, Washington, Stanford (and Cal), Utah, Arizona, and Colorado to B1G. SEC is also not going to stand pat and just let it happen there. And all of this or something very similar will happen over time, not all at once

Last edited:
I disagree wholeheartedly. This is all about the tv money. UCLA was added because it generates tv dollars even when the program is down. In fact, UCLA has more tv viewership than VA and UNC combined. VA has far less viewership than every current B1G school and less viewers than many G5 schools. The B1G is not into charity.
Doesn't USC add the same basic market at UCLA? UCLA was added IMO for USC. Trust me, as a football fan I'd rather add Clemson and FSU. I just don't think that's the plan. Maybe long term but Virginia and UNC are next. I think GA Tech is ahead of Clemson and FSU as well but time will show us.

Doesn't USC add the same basic market at UCLA? UCLA was added IMO for USC. Trust me, as a football fan I'd rather add Clemson and FSU. I just don't think that's the plan. Maybe long term but Virginia and UNC are next. I think GA Tech is ahead of Clemson and FSU as well but time will show us.
I think UCLA was added largely because that was USC’s preference and USC was the goal. Personally I think USC/Washington would have been the better add but I think USC preferred UCLA due to rivalry/tradition and keeping a (very) local opponent for all their sports. UCLA being high quality academically and having their great hoops tradition and making scheduling easier (non revenue teams can go to LA for 2 games easily) helped sell it to the Big 10 and honestly it makes a lot of sense. It also pretty much cuts the legs off the PAC by taking away their biggest most important market making it easier to pick off other schools down the road if/when the Big Ten wanted to.

Apparently, FSU has had a team of lawyers looking at the ACC GOR for around 2 years. Maybe they found something? Keep in mind AAU is not a requirement, it’s a preference for BIG membership. As one poster noted above this really is the check-mate move. Notre Dame probably has one last chance after this if it’s true.

IMHO FSU and Notre Dame are the only two schools (other than SEC schools) that the Big Ten would take as full members right now just to add. Any other school would only be added at favorable terms (eg Washington or Oregon joining for reduced payouts for years) or as a preemptive strike vs the SEC (maybe someone like UNC or UVA or Miami (FL) if they might be grabbed by the SEC).

I think UCLA was added largely because that was USC’s preference and USC was the goal. Personally I think USC/Washington would have been the better add but I think USC preferred UCLA due to rivalry/tradition and keeping a (very) local opponent for all their sports. UCLA being high quality academically and having their great hoops tradition and making scheduling easier (non revenue teams can go to LA for 2 games easily) helped sell it to the Big 10 and honestly it makes a lot of sense. It also pretty much cuts the legs off the PAC by taking away their biggest most important market making it easier to pick off other schools down the road if/when the Big Ten wanted to.
Agreed. It definitely looks like it did kill the Pac XII

Athlon has also posted the same
I would love to see this happen just to hear the lunatic ravings of Pitt's head coach as his team's position in the college football hierarchy begins to collapse. With that said, while I fully expect Oregon and Washington to be added, I still am skeptical about FSU and Clemson, as I believe that they eventually will end up in the SEC. Regardless, with FSU and Clemson, I don't think that it's a matter of if they will leave the ACC, but when they will leave and where they will go. Once this happen, that effectively will end the ACC being a Power 5 conference.

I would love to see this happen just to hear the lunatic ravings of Pitt's head coach as his team's position in the college football hierarchy begins to collapse. With that said, while I fully expect Oregon and Washington to be added, I still am skeptical about FSU and Clemson, as I believe that they eventually will end up in the SEC. Regardless, with FSU and Clemson, I don't think that it's a matter of if they will leave the ACC, but when they will leave and where they will go. Once this happen, that effectively will end the ACC being a Power 5 conference.
I really don't have an opinion either way. Just let it play out, if it does

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT