ADVERTISEMENT

RIP: Chris Squire

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
Devastating news for us Yes Fans. His Leukemia must have been rapid, only diagnosed a month ago. This winter Yes was planning their annul summer tour.

Chris will always be one of the greatest bass players ever. He took his craft to another leveI. It's comical that Chris and his band are not in the Rock & Roll HoF.

Reactions: h8ru and simons96
God, just watched 9012-Live this weekend . . . gonna have to put Yes and Squackett on heavy rotation this week

phenomenally talented bass player and all around good guy . . .

Reactions: Relayer
Devastating news for us Yes Fans. His Leukemia must have been rapid, only diagnosed a month ago. This winter Yes was planning their annul summer tour.

Chris will always be one of the greatest bass players ever. He took his craft to another leveI. It's comical that Chris and his band are not in the Rock & Roll HoF.

Sad news. Agree it's unbelievable YES is not in R&R HOF. - At one point in my life I used to listen to YES almost every night before falling asleep. I still enjoy hearing classic Yes songs - who doesn't love Long Distance Runaround, I've Seen all Good People, Heart of The Sunrise, Roundabout, Yours Is No Disgrace, ect.ect.

Reactions: bytir and Relayer

Wow hard to believe. My favorite band of all time. First ever concert was Yes at Spectrum June 1979. Spent lots time at old Tait Towers in Lititz. Great times indeed. Sad sad day. Im sure Chris and Ed Sciaky have had a beer in Heaven today.

Reactions: bytir and Relayer
Wow hard to believe. My favorite band of all time. First ever concert was Yes at Spectrum June 1979. Spent lots time at old Tait Towers in Lititz. Great times indeed. Sad sad day. Im sure Chris and Ed Sciaky have had a beer in Heaven today.

Wow PSU Dave - My first YES show was also "In The Round" at the Spectrum in 1979. I had an opportunity to see them last Spring in Bethlehem when they did: Close to the Edge, Going For The One, and YES album back to back. Just a wonderful reconnect to a band I lost touch with for 30 years. Ever since the Bethlehem show I have YES on heavy rotation on TIDAL/Pandora.... just absolutely great stuff...

And F the RNRHOF - really - Joan Jett ahead of YES, Deep Purple, King Crimson, and ELP.....

The R&R HOF is ruled by Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner, whose iron thumb has excluded quite a number of deserving musicians from being enshrined. His own little fiefdom, more or less. It's amazing that the music industry puts up with it. It's ALMOST as bad as our Board of Trustees.

Wow PSU Dave - My first YES show was also "In The Round" at the Spectrum in 1979. I had an opportunity to see them last Spring in Bethlehem when they did: Close to the Edge, Going For The One, and YES album back to back. Just a wonderful reconnect to a band I lost touch with for 30 years. Ever since the Bethlehem show I have YES on heavy rotation on TIDAL/Pandora.... just absolutely great stuff...

And F the RNRHOF - really - Joan Jett ahead of YES, Deep Purple, King Crimson, and ELP.....
Joan Jett is at least better than friggin Green Day, but it is still a farce.

Reactions: bytir
All of you show the passion I do with this band. Having seen Yes some 30+ times the news is still a shock.

Dave, spot on with Ed Sciaky. Who can forget his show "The Sunday Night Alternative". He was partly responsible for getting Yes publicity in the early days. An interesting fact is that Yes played more shows in the Spectrum's history than every band except for Bruce and the Grateful Dead.

I've been in touch with friends today that haven't been for months. Chris has been trending in the top 10 most of the day on twitter worldwide. The man touched so many people.

Do any of you remember this shot from JFK in 1976? Yes with Peter Frampton and Gary Wright.

http://www.yesworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Yes-JFK.jpg

Geddy Lee always said what a huge influence Chris and Yes were on him and their music. Nice words from Geddy today.

http://www.rush.com/chris-squire-1948-2015/

One of the best settings I've seen the band was on the Columbia River Gorge in 2011.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117558162232902883856/YesConcertJuly302011MaryhillWineryWA#

Yea, when mentioning Joan Jett, don't forget ABBA. The R & R HoF should be embarrassed. I'll never visit that place. Think about Yes in their prime with Squire, Howe, Anderson, Wakeman and White. Not to mention ELP, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, etc. Yep, there's no bias against prog rock from pukes like Jann Wenner.

Here is some classic Yes from "04 with that lineup. Chris, Rick and Steve are jamming during The Worm.

Actually met Chris at a nightclub in Lancaster. They were in town rehearsing for the 90125 tour and he couldn't be nicer. He invited us to Litiz to watch the rehearsals and took time to acknowledge us when we showed up. Very genuine, bigger than life guy. To me Yes was never the same when Jon left but now without Chris's backing vocals I believe the band is done. Putting on my headphones now.

Yes is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? That is completely ridiculous. "Oversight" isn't nearly a strong enough word, especially considering some of the others in there. And even if they're inducted now, one of them didn't live to see it. What a shame.

Do any of you remember this shot from JFK in 1976? Yes with Peter Frampton and Gary Wright.

Absolutely. I was there. Hot as hell during the day. A great concert. Remember the multiple trash fires that folks set at night, that then went blowing all over JFK when a couple of big wind gusts came along?

Interesting that all 3 stadiums in the picture no longer exist.

God, just watched 9012-Live this weekend . . . gonna have to put Yes and Squackett on heavy rotation this week

phenomenally talented bass player and all around good guy . . .

simons, just got done watching 9012LIVE again. I saw the tour several times in 1984 starting with the Trevor Rabin debut at Millersville on 2/28/84. I love Steve of course, but Trevor kicked a$$ in the 80's. Alan in his prime was a premiere rock and roll drummer (listen to Relayer). Chris was just being Chris.

Tom, I envy anyone who was there at JFK. Unfortunately at age 13 I think I was pitching a senior little league game that day.

Reactions: simons96
Chris was just an awesome bass player. I'm sure he inspired the current crop of unbelievable players we have today. It's amazing how far todays players like Henrik Linder and Tal Wilkenfeld are breaking the stereotype of the bass as a complimentory instrument.

So sad to hear of Chris' passing. Yes is schedule to tour with TOTO (who lost bassist Mike Porcaro in March to ALS) this fall - putting 2 of my favorite bands of the 70's to 80's together.

Yes is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? That is completely ridiculous. "Oversight" isn't nearly a strong enough word, especially considering some of the others in there. And even if they're inducted now, one of them didn't live to see it. What a shame.

Agree...but...one of the great things about true artists are that they aren't in it for anything but the art. Anything they get is just the cherry on top. How can anyone like the beach boys, led zeppelin, and yes have thought that their stuff, when forming the band, would sell? I always think, when someone gets on stage in any capacity, that they get up their performing for themselves. The critiques they set themselves up for can be devastating. in the end, I am sure they gain this "I am here for me, not for you. If you enjoy it, all the better. If not, go your separate way."

On Green Day, I like them in the HOF, if for no other song, "Time of Your Life:" It's something unpredictable but in the end is right, I hope you had the time of your life"

Sad news. Agree it's unbelievable YES is not in R&R HOF. - At one point in my life I used to listen to YES almost every night before falling asleep. I still enjoy hearing classic Yes songs - who doesn't love Long Distance Runaround, I've Seen all Good People, Heart of The Sunrise, Roundabout, Yours Is No Disgrace, ect.ect.
I am a big fan of classically influenced rock music from the 70's, and Yes is one of my favorites. My first concert ever was Yes in 1972, the Yessongs tour. And my top 5 Yessongs are 1. Roundabout 2. Starship Trooper
I am a big fan of classically influenced rock music from the 70's, so naturally Yes is one of my favorites. My first concert ever was Yes in 1972, the Yessongs tour. And my 5 favorite Yes songs are 1. Roundabout 2. Starship Trooper 3. The Calling and a 3-way tie for 4 and 5, Perpetual Change, It Can Happen, and Heart of the Sunrise

The R&R HoF blew it big time. They have now witnessed the outpouring of support and appreciation for this man from every corner of the musical globe. It's been overwhelming.

CBS News had a nice blurb last evening.

I found this from the Yes studio sessions recording Parallels for Going For he One. Great stuff, one of Chris's signature bass lines.

The R&R HoF blew it big time. They have now witnessed the outpouring of support and appreciation for this man from every corner of the musical globe. It's been overwhelming.

CBS News had a nice blurb last evening.

I found this from the Yes studio sessions recording Parallels for Going For he One. Great stuff, one of Chris's signature bass lines.

Oh, man, I wish they'd left the cameras rolling another 30 seconds. They HAD to have been bouncing off the walls after laying that down.

"Chris will always be one of the greatest bass players ever. He took his craft to another leveI. It's comical that Chris and his band are not in the Rock & Roll HoF."

Criminal is more like it. I'm grateful I got to see the original group many times back in the 70s. I still have my Yes Tshirts from those concerts. RIP Chris, your music was sublime. You will be missed.

Last edited:
Tonight AXS TV will broadcast YES: Like It Is - Yes At The Bristol Hippodrome at 11pm and again at 2:45am. I saw this tour several times last year and they will play Going For The One and The Yes Album in their entirety. Unfortunately they also played Close To The Edge on this tour, but the album was omitted from the broadcast for time constraints. My last time seeing Chris and the band perform live was last July at the Tower Theater. Jon Davison (of Glass Hammer fame) does a great job on vocals. Never get tired of seeing Chris play the triple neck bass during Awaken.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT