ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Notebook: Recapping Purdue weekend

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
Below is some of the feedback I've received following this weekend's game against Purdue.

jfegfus8xbggnnvgpdon

From left to right - Price Williams (2022), Tywone Malone (2021), Jager Burton (2021), Nate Bruce (2021) and Tristan Leigh (2021).

I haven't touched base with Adams or his family since Saturday. I'll reach out again this evening, but they've been fairly quiet in recent weeks. Not sure if I'll hear from them, but as I noted Saturday evening, we know where the situation stands. I've had multiple people tell me now that Adams wants back in this class. Penn State still has interest, but it's unclear when the staff may decide to accept him back or not. There's only a handful of scholarships left. That's the main issue for Adams. It's just something we'll have to wait and see what happens. I'm still trying to confirm if he's going to take more official visits in the meantime.

This was Burton's second visit to Penn State. He was last on campus in March for a personal day with the staff. According to contacts, he checked in this weekend at about 6-3 1/2, 265 pounds. As of now, I expect Penn State to make his top five, but it won't be easy to earn his signature. With that said, he made it clear that the staff and atmosphere around the stadium left a big impression on he and his family. It was definitely a positive weekend for PSU and its chances moving forward.

Burton actually stayed overnight Saturday before flying out Sunday morning. He chose to just stay with his family instead of spending time with players, but added that he wants to hang out with players "when I come back for my official," so that's a positive sign.

So far this season, Burton has taken unofficial visits to Clemson, Kentucky and Texas. Since this weekend is his bye week, he and his family are now headed to Oregon Friday night for the game against Colorado. He'll then go to LSU at Alabama, Nov. 9, and Penn State at Ohio State, Nov. 23.

- On what stood out to him the most

I thought the student section was incredible. For most of the games I’ve seen, if the team gets up that much, the students kind of clear out to go do whatever. I thought they were great fans, real supportive. There were still a ton of people there when I was leaving [Sunday morning] to go to the airport. I thought that was crazy seeing the atmosphere all around the place. Their fans were definitely a highlight of the trip.

- On his talk with James Franklin and assistant coaches

Before the game, I saw all their coaches briefly. I got to go on the field and talk to Coach Franklin for a minute. But after the game, I got to spend a couple hours with them. I left their facility at probably 7:30 that evening, so we spent a good amount of time together. I got to go back and watch some film with Coach [Matt] Limegrover. He just kind of showed me how it would be if I went there. He showed me all the different things they do. I then hung out with Coach [Gerad] Parker for a little while. He’s from Kentucky, so he’s someone I’ve gotten to know. I enjoyed hanging out with him. I also hung out with their receiver commit, Jaden [Dottin], and some of their players. We just got the chance to ask questions and see how they like it up there. Everyone was great to me and my family.

This was Leigh's second visit to Penn State. He was previously on campus in May for a junior day. I was told he checked in at just under 6-5 and right around 275 pounds.

Out of Burton, Leigh and Malone, Leigh is probably the player that PSU is in the best position with currently, although I do believe that the staff has a real shot at all three. Leigh is already communicating with the staff on FaceTime about twice a week. That's more than most 2021 prospects, so that's a great sign. The relationship is clearly strong.

He's already seen a bunch of schools. Just check out his Rivals profile for all of that information. I updated it earlier today. Leigh has three upcoming visits to keep an eye on. He'll go to Auburn at LSU on Oct. 26. He'll then see LSU play two weeks later, this time at Alabama, Nov. 9. His final visit, as of now, is Nov. 23 for Penn State's trip to Ohio State.

One of the biggest things, to me, was the fan base at Penn State. It’s probably the biggest fan base I’ve seen. I just haven’t seen a ratio like that in my life. They’re so dedicated, too. Going up there, you really learn how involved their fans are, and that’s really important to the team, too. It’s just a great environment. When Coach Franklin brought the team out of the tunnel, you couldn’t even hear yourself think.

But I also liked after the game, when I was in the locker room listening to Coach Franklin. He talked about how everyone is so important to this team. From the starters to the scout team guys, he was going through everyone and thanking everybody. He really brings that family atmosphere that they care about. I remember he was making sure everyone in there thanked the scout team players for working hard and getting them ready that week. I thought it was cool to see that.

I met with a bunch of their coaches before the game. I talked to Coach [Tyler] Bowen, [Matt] Limegrover, [Ja’Juan] Seider and Coach Franklin all before the game. They have a little lounge area where we can talk in private. We really just talked how I’m a priority for them and how well I fit their team. They already believe that we have a good relationship and think it could be a place that I fit in really well at. I agree with all of that, too. There’s a lot to like. But other than that, we just chatted it up after that.

Malone has already emerged as one of the region's top defensive tackles for 2021. This was his second visit to Penn State. He also attended the Lasch Bash in July. Aside from PSU, Malone went to Texas A&M for an unofficial visit about three weeks ago.

According to contacts, he checked in this weekend a little over 6-3 and just under 300 pounds. Physically, he looks great. Malone is easily one of the more impressive looking prospects that I've seen for next year, but he has to make strides in the classroom. Keep that in mind moving forward. It could have an impact on how many schools truly push for him. Currently, Malone doesn't have any upcoming visits set, but I'll keep an eye on him for the Michigan game.

What stood out to me was how the fans were cheering for their team all game. They really love their team and coaches. Also, what I really like about PSU is how the coaches help their players anyway possible. The coaches treat them with respect. That's what I really like about them.

I talk to Coach Franklin before the game and he was good. He was talking to me about the program and how much they like me. Also, I talked to Coach Spencer and he’s a really good person to be around. I like that most about him. That's the way he is. He love his players. He's just a good person."

Attendee List

PSU Commits

WR Jaden Dottin - FILM - Suffield, Conn. - Suffield
LB Tyler Elsdon - FILM - Ashland, Pa. - North Schulkill
DE Coziah Izzard - FILM - Hyattsville, Md. - DeMatha

OL RJ Adams - FILM - Woodbridge, Va. - Woodbridge ***
Saf. Mack Ayers - FILM
- Elizabethville, Pa. - Upper Dauphin
OL Brady Bithell - FILM - Altoona, Pa. - Bishop Guilfoyle
WR Johnny Crise - FILM - Natrona Heights, Pa. - Highland
P Levi Forrest - FILM - Richlands, Va. - Richlands
WR Rafael McCoy - FILM - Wilkes Barre, Pa. - Coughlin