ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Lasch Bash Reactions

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
- Tim and I will be working on this all day Sunday. Lots of great info coming in, but I have a ton of a bunch of players that I need to speak.

PSU Commits

OL Nana Asiedu - FILM - Stafford, Va. - North Stafford

"I was chilling with mainly all the commits and PJ Mustipher, Jason Oweh and Rasheed Walker. We were working on Rasheed, Jason Oweh and Tyreke Smith. I know the staff is sitting good with Rasheed. The thing that stood out to me was the number of commits we got. That was awesome. I know Rasheed Walker loved it and also Tyreke Smith."

OL Bryce Effner - FILM - Aurora, Ill. - Metea Valley

"I hung out with a bunch of the commits. They're all good guys. I really like our new QB, Will Levis. He seems like a real good guy. I was also talking with PJ (Mustipher) a lot. I saw him workout last night, too. He's definitely the kind competitor I would want on my team."

TE Pat Freiermuth - FILM - North Andover, Mass. - Brooks School

"The Lasch Bash was awesome. It was a great atmosphere with some great guys. I hung out with all the commits, but mainly Zack (Kuntz), Charlie (Katshir) and Nick (Tarburton). I've become close with those guys. We were all working on the other recruits. I think we're in a good spot with PJ (Mustipher), Jayson (Oweh), Tyreke (Smith) and Daniel (George)."

LB Charlie Katshir - FILM - Mechanicsburg, Pa. - Cumberland Valley

"I was pretty much hanging out with everyone, just trying to build chemistry between us (commits) and all the other recruits. Honestly, we were working hard on all those guys. We want to get all the best guys to make sure our team gets better. The staff is happy with adding any of those guys that were there today."

DB Trent Gordon - FILM
- Manvel, Texas - Manvel

'Most of the day I was pretty much with the commits, but there were a few guys that I did talk to about coming to Penn State and what they thought about it. Tyreke Smith and PJ Mustipher we're pretty sought after at the BBQ.

"The thing that stood out to me was how open, honest and how close knit everybody was. It was similar to a real family barbecue. The staff wasn't sitting with just one commit. They were getting around and talking to everybody. But there was a few guys that they were really interested in. One was Isheem, another was the receiver (Daniel George)."

OL TJ Bradley - FILM - Scranton, Pa. - Lackawanna C.C. ***

"I had a lot of fun today. I truly see that Penn State is a big family. The players were introducing themselves, so I got to know them more. That definitely stood out the most for me. I love seeing everyone's different backgrounds. It was good to meet all the coaches and their families, as well."

- Bradley is going to visit Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia in the next few weeks. PSU remains the favorite. He was originally planning to get out and see more schools this summer, but hasn't been able to do that. A lot of schools want to offer, but they also want to meet him first. That could work to PSU's advantage because it's going to be very difficult for him to visit schools this season. He's still planning to decide some time during the season.

DE Aeneas Hawkins - FILM - Cincinnati, Ohio - Moeller ***

"I talked with Jesse Luketa, Ty Smith, PJ Mustipher, Zack Kuntz and of course, Coach Chaos, Coach Banks and Coach Franklin. Those guys are great. I loved hanging out with them. I have never been on a recruiting trip that's gone that well. The winning atmosphere and the excitement that they have makes me want to join them. My favorite part today was meeting with the coaches. They told me I fit perfectly into the team. The staff explained that I'm a huge priority for them."

- You guys know where I stand with Hawkins. A lot of people have been picking Cincinnati for awhile now, but every time I speak with him he's very, very positive about PSU. Today was no different, as you can see from his quote. He's planning to decide in early to mid-August and has no other visits set at this time. I really think PSU should be the favorite here.

DE Jayson Oweh - FILM
- Blairstown, N.J. - Blair Academy ***

"I hung out with PJ Mustipher the most. We hung out a lot this weekend. We were always just talking about everything that's good at Penn State. I loved chilling around with all the commits and players. PSU and Ohio State are my favorites right now. They're both showing me a lot of love."

- If there was going to be a "surprise" commitment this weekend, it was going to come from Oweh. Contacts were very positive when I spoke with them about Oweh. He's a PERFECT fit for PSU and I think his family understands that.

DB Keaton Ellis - FILM- State College, Pa. - State College ***

"Yesterday was a great opportunity for me to build relationships with the coaching staff, as well as learning more about what the program has to offer. A couple things that stood out to me were the family atmosphere, academic support and the facilities. I was able to talk with and get to know the coaching staff and other recruits and their families. That's probably what I liked most about yesterday. It was very laid back and I was able to get to know the coaches on a personal level. Overall, it was a great visit."

Saf. DeMarcco Hellams - Hyattsville, Md. - DeMatha ***

"What stood out most to me, as always, is the way the coaches are a family. There is never any animosity between them and it isn't just a business there. They take their job personal and their players personal and it's more than just 'what can this guy offer me on the field.'

"I talked most with Coach Banks. That's my guy. He spent a lot of time with me, even though there were other guys he could've been with. What I liked was how it seemed like a family atmosphere. The (current) players were involved with recruits and their families. Everyone was coming together. But what stood out most to me is how much Coach Franklin really cares about the people he has committed. He takes care of those guys."

Saf. Ronnie Hickman - FILM - Wayne, N.J. - De Paul Catholic ***

"One thing that really stood out to me today was how hands on and interactive Coach Franklin was with the other recruits and myself. I really enjoyed that. I spent most of my time with Coach Banks. It was great getting to know him more and just being with a lot of other recruits. I really got to know some of those guys today. My parents also enjoyed it, as well."

- He's now taken five visits to PSU in six months. I think that says everything you need to know.

DB Quinten Johnson - FILM - Washington, D.C. - St. John's College High ***

"I have to tell you, I really enjoyed myself today man. The event truly had that family cookout environment. There was never any awkwardness because it had that at home feeling. The coaching staff and their assistants made sure that the me and my family were taken care of and made sure we knew that Penn State was the place for us. I also got a chance to see my big bro, Ayron Monroe. I also got a chance to hang with close friends such as Jordan Houston, Shane Lee and Sherm (Mekhail Sherman - 2020) which was really cool hanging with them today. I also had a chance to meet a lot of new faces that passed along advice. I really enjoyed hanging with the coaching staff. They sure know how to take care of ya."

- I didn't know that 2020 LB Mekahail Sherman also made the trip today. He and Johnson both earned offers from the staff back in June after camping at PSU.

LB Shane Lee - FILM - Baltimore, Md. - St. Frances ***

"Something that really stood out to me about the visit was just the school pride. Penn State held an art festival, or something like that, and it was cool to see a bunch of people out participating. Usually, when I think of school spirit, I think of athletics, but school spirit for PSU is everything, which I thought was cool. I was with my family and some other recruits most of the day and I talked to Coach Pry the most. Our conversations were less about football and more about any and everything else."

LB Brandon Smith - FILM
- Mineral, Va. - Louisa County ***

"What stood out the most was the energy and excitement of the coaches to see me. I spent a lot of time with Coach Franklin, Coach Pry and Kenny Sanders. I also enjoyed that my uncle and grandfather got a chance to see why I like in PSU. I got a chance to talk with Ricky Slade, Ellis Brooks and I spoke with Shane Lee and Zach Harrison as well. It was a great day! I'm excited about the camp tomorrow."

- Really looking forward to seeing Brandon workout tomorrow. He's listed a DE, but I expect him to be a linebacker.

OL Caedan Wallace - FILM - Princeton, N.J. - Hun School ***

"Basically, today was more of a fun, family oriented type of day. The coaches and current players focused on that family aspect. I spoke with a lot with recruits, like PJ Mustipher and Penn State commit Justin Shorter about their experiences with recruiting. One thing that really stood out to me was when one of the offensive linemen explained how rigorous the training is in college, and what you need to be prepared for. I learned a lot."

He added, "Make sure all the fans know how much I love Penn State."

- Same as Ronnie Hickman. Four visits in six months says a lot. I think it's only a matter of time.

WR Julian Fleming - FILM
- Catawissa, Pa. - Southern Columbia ***

"It was great. It was a really nice event, real chill. It allowed us to really meet the coaches and their families, plus all the other players and commits. It was fun standing out on the field and seeing everything from the field. That was awesome, especially from the players' perspective, down on the field.

"Ive played with Keaton Ellis a long time ago on the same AAU team, so I talked to him a lot. Plus, the coaches introduced me to Justin Shorter. Everyone was nice and fun to be around."

- Long way to go, but I see no reason why PSU shouldn't be considered the early favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News