ADVERTISEMENT

RBY competing at 57kg this weekend (Spanish Speakers Wanted)

nerfstate

Oct 10, 2017
I put this in the social media thread but:

And I think the event is streaming mat by mat here

Now--anyone with better spanish chops than I want to see if you can find mat assignments, brackets, or a bout board or something?

Reactions: NittanyChris
I wonder if he could beat Gilman or just doesn’t want to try because they are teammates and friends?

I doubt it's either. I'm surprised more don't do this.

Why subject yourself to the gauntlet of qualifying for the US team, when you can just take another country's spot and qualify the spot at Pan Ams? This is a no brainer.

I don’t think that’s quite the reason but it matches what Dominick says verbatim

I’m more inclined to believe it matches what Roman says . Maybe a little bit of both though .

I’ve also heard him say it’s more of a tribute to his grandfather but damn if I can remember where I heard him say that .

Skip the first 4 and a half minutes and then the Bravo interview lasts 15 minutes .

I doubt it's either. I'm surprised more don't do this.

Why subject yourself to the gauntlet of qualifying for the US team, when you can just take another country's spot and qualify the spot at Pan Ams? This is a no brainer.
Plus, if you win, get treated like a national hero like Micic in Serbia.

Reactions: Callthestall
The second-to-last photo shows just how lean (skinny?) RBY is at 57kg. It is such a shame there are only six Olympic weights. That had to be a brutal cut for him. Gilman's cut seems rough also. In a video from a few months ago he is shown in a sauna with some other wrestlers and he looked very gaunt.
I agree he looks very gaunt....wonder if it will impact his performance? Six Olympic weights not adequate at all!

Let's face it, the Olympic committee taking an ancient sport and haphazardly and arbitrarily reducing the number of weight classes is a travesty.

It seems the only justification is it is a compromise with eliminating it entirely, which it seems this is true.

All the while adding truely bullshit events all the time in attempt to be hip and modern.

While insterting this huge and visible negative contrast with a sport's own world championships format, by cutting the weight classes in half, they then go out and expand and inso doing water down the talent in other sports. For example, the addition of 3 on 3 basketball, really? Does anyone really think any of those teams have the best basketballers in the world playing on a 3 on 3 team? Hell no. Rhythm gymnastics?

Maybe there are other examples, but what other sport 'purposely' passes over multiple current world champions and medalists for a chance at Olympic Gold?

I am very disappointed at the impact on the atheletes, but moreso that the global government bodies who manage our sport haven't been able to put pressure on the Olympics to do the right thing.

If they have to make qualifying more difficult to keep the number of participants the same, do so, but bring back 10 weight classes for god's sake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT