ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Hitters: Wednesday Penn State football practice news, notes, and observations

Aug 31, 2005
State College
bwi.rivals.com
We're back on an absolutely beautiful Wednesday afternoon here in State College as Penn State continues its preparations for Illinois on Saturday.

Per usual, the program welcomed the media to practice for a few minutes to gather some B-roll footage and collect a few observations. And yes, we have some observations to pass along with so much uncertainty out there coming off the Nittany Lions' 23-20 loss at Iowa two weekends ago.

So, without further ado:

1) Sean Clifford was dressed and practicing with the quarterbacks.

Though at first they were just doing handoff drills, Clifford and the other quarterbacks, Ta'Quan Roberson and Christian Veilleux, moved into passing periods for a good 10-15 minutes of work.

I don't even want to begin to offer an opinion on this because I've heard enough different things to believe none of them at this point. However, if someone with experience with broken ribs wants to chime in here, or a doctor who treats it, or anyone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, be my guest.

I will note that at this practice, as is the case with every other, Sean Clifford was at no risk of being touched by a defensive teammate.

From there, your guess is as good as mine, though as @Ryan Snyder/BWI Staff noted this afternoon, ESPN's Chris Fallica is saying today that Clifford will play this weekend.

We'll see.

2) Great. Sean Clifford is alive. Sean Clifford threw the ball. Sean Clifford took the first reps.

But how did he look?

Honestly, sharp. @Thomas Frank Carr will have video from his passes, but the same zip on the ball, same accuracy, same everything.

He looked good. And, in fact, one of his goal line passes to Theo Johnson sailed past the tight end so quickly I don't think he was even aware it was coming.

3) Clifford was not, of course, the only injured Penn State player to leave the game at Kinnick Stadium. and not return to action.

Good news/bad news on that front.

I saw neither running back Devyn Ford or John Lovett.

Caziah Holmes,
who has not appeared in a game so far this season, remained in a scout team jersey. And Noah Cain and Keyvone Lee were No. 1 and 2 in line, respectively.

4) On the other end of the spectrum, safety Jonathan Sutherland was back in the mix at his normal spot in the rotation.

We'll be back with a full report from head coach James Franklin and safety Jaquan Brisker, each of whom will be joining the media for about 12 minutes of questions and answers after practice this evening.

As always, questions, comments, concerns or anything I missed, please don't hesitate to bring it up here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News