ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Michigan noon

Our record is horrible in these Big Noon games. The only one I can recall winning is Wisky in '21. Forget '20. Losses, Mich in '21 and '22, OSU in '19, '21 and '22 I believe, Minny in '19. What am I missing? We better reverse this trend. Wanted this game as the White Out but ain't happening.

Reactions: FlyinLion1
Our record is horrible in these Big Noon games. The only one I can recall winning is Wisky in '21. Forget '20. Losses, Mich in '21 and '22, OSU in '19, '21 and '22 I believe, Minny in '19. What am I missing? We better reverse this trend. Wanted this game as the White Out but ain't happening.
Several of those games weren't the Fox Big Noon game.

Several of those games weren't the Fox Big Noon game.
The '21 OSU game was not and the only one I am not sure about was Minny in 2019. The point remains that we have not performed well on this stage in terms of Ws.

The '21 OSU game was not and the only one I am not sure about was Minny in 2019. The point remains that we have not performed well on this stage in terms of Ws.
Well, we're just going to have to get over it if we want to achieve the ultimate goals. I mean, the OSU-Michigan game is played at noon every season, and that game never seems to lack intensity. I would hope that the program is strong enough not to need the crutch of an evening atmosphere to win big games.

Well, we're just going to have to get over it if we want to achieve the ultimate goals. I mean, the OSU-Michigan game is played at noon every season, and that game never seems to lack intensity. I would hope that the program is strong enough not to need the crutch of an evening atmosphere to win big games.
I agree. As I said we need to reverse this lackluster trend if we ever hope to get in the playoff let alone win it all.

You would hope that the program who invented the White Out thus giving us a huge home field advantage. That we could actually leverage it once in a while against one of our two key rivals that are keeping us out of the playoff currently.

I agree. As I said we need to reverse this lackluster trend if we ever hope to get in the playoff let alone win it all.

You would hope that the program who invented the White Out thus giving us a huge home field advantage. That we could actually leverage it once in a while against one of our two key rivals that are keeping us out of the playoff currently.

We have. '16 vs OSU. '17 and '19 vs Michigan (I think). It's just tough to win every big game vs your 2 toughest opponents every year. Who else has done it yearly? Maybe 4 teams with any consistency.

We have. '16 vs OSU. '17 and '19 vs Michigan (I think). It's just tough to win every big game vs your 2 toughest opponents every year. Who else has done it yearly? Maybe 4 teams with any consistency.
Missing my point. My point in my second paragraph is not about PSU's on field performance in past White Outs vs OSU and Michigan,, rather it is about TV network decisions. We have this White Out and for the foreseeable future because of the Fox Big Nooner concept we seemingly can't activate it against Mich and OSU because Fox has first dibs on those two games and places them at noon thus shutting out the White Out. Hopefully that changes with NBC and CBS in the mix but I think (and I'm no expert) Fox is still the big dog and gets the first pick on the best games which these two are.

Back to our on field performance. You make my point about bringing up past victories versus OSU and Mich in the White Out games. I want more of those opportunities versus OSU and Mich since it is a big home field advantage.

With that said, these noon starts are the current reality vs Mich and OSU so we need to win them obviously. We currently have not done well in these games, granted it has been stiff competition.

• Love
Reactions: lazydave841
Missing my point. My point in my second paragraph is not about PSU's on field performance in past White Outs vs OSU and Michigan,, rather it is about TV network decisions. We have this White Out and for the foreseeable future because of the Fox Big Nooner concept we seemingly can't activate it against Mich and OSU because Fox has first dibs on those two games and places them at noon thus shutting out the White Out. Hopefully that changes with NBC and CBS in the mix but I think (and I'm no expert) Fox is still the big dog and gets the first pick on the best games which these two are.

Back to our on field performance. You make my point about bringing up past victories versus OSU and Mich in the White Out games. I want more of those opportunities versus OSU and Mich since it is a big home field advantage.

With that said, these noon starts are the current reality vs Mich and OSU so we need to win them obviously. We currently have not done well in these games, granted it has been stiff competition.
By the way, I understand it probably is a non-starter when we play them in November because of the cold weather. Hopefully the schedule makers help us in some years and put the game in Oct so there is the chance. Last year vs OSU is a good example. That would have been an electric White Out game.

Reactions: lazydave841

I'm with you bud. I think we should be able to request our best home game for a night White Out every year. October is optimal for sure.

The big unknown with the new contract is who gets what selections and the order/frequency. No detail is apparently safe, as we read "NBC 730 pm time slot" for months until last week when it broke that "November wasn't signed off on by the schools".

Reactions: ryoder1

Don't know that you are correct about FOX getting 1st Choice on all games - I believe they only have 1st Choice on 1/2 the games - NBC and CBS get 1st Choice on 1/4 each under the deal Warren made. There is clear evidence that this is what led to the dust up we just saw between NBC and the B1G regarding scUM refusing to play a Nov Primetime night game on NBC causing NBC to cry breach of contract and threaten to withhold $70 million in payments to league due to lost revenues.

Under new contract, FOX has retained exclusive rights to scUM/duhO$U, but it counts as their 1st Choice each year. In the alternating choice, apparently NBC had next choice this year (CBS would have it next year) - NBC was very focused on Nov games as they believe it is the "most important month" of the season as many Nov games will determine teams contention for B1G CG. It sure does look like NBC choose PSU-scUM with their 1st Choice anticipating PSU making it their Primetime Whiteout Game (again, FOX already locked themselves into duhO$U-scUM as their 1st Choice every year in new contract). scUM refused to play the game generating all of the articles we just saw and NBC threatening to withhold $70 million in payments. As a concession to NBC, the new B1G Commissioner negotiated 2 Primetime NBC telecasts to replace NBC's 1st Choice that was defaulted on... - two Primetime games being MSU@duhO$U on 11/11 and PSU v MSU @FordField in a "Special" Black Friday 11/24 telecast (new B1G Commissioner had to guarantee MSU's revenues to make this happen - see the following hotlinked article:

Haller fully explains his Black Friday Ford Field decision)​

If you look at all the facts and circumstances including the tremendous amount of leverage that NBC had, scUM's admission that they refused to play a Nov Primetime game on NBC despite NBC's contractual rights to air the game (as negotiated by the B1G), scUM is still not scheduled to play a Nov Primetime game, but both PSU and duhO$U are involved in two replacement games to compensate...... etc...., it is more than clear what just happened here.

Last edited:
By the way, I understand it probably is a non-starter when we play them in November because of the cold weather. Hopefully the schedule makers help us in some years and put the game in Oct so there is the chance. Last year vs OSU is a good example. That would have been an electric White Out game.

Oh that's bullshit about "the weather" - my high school played night Nov games to packed crowds. The notion that PSU-scUM wouldn't have sold out on 11/11 and been an intense atmosphere is laughably ridiculous. BTW, why can MSU @duhO$U be played at night as one of the two negotiated replacement games for NBC due to scUM's contractual breach, but scUM @PSU was an impossibility because of the weather????? LMAO.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
PSU white out games at night are must watch tv, electric atmosphere that ranks among the best in college football..As an objective fan, I would love to see UM and PSU be a night game this year. As a UM homer, I'm relieved every time UM avoids that same atmosphere..While a PSU fan can say UM shouldn't be afraid of the night slot if they are a legit championship caliber team, a UM fan would counter that PSU shouldn't need the benefit of a hostile night game atmosphere in order to win if they are legit..neither side will have the chance to prove their point, as going forward game broadcasts will be strictly determined by the networks...He who pays the piper calls the tune, BigTen teams unanimously gave up control in return for cash, simple as that...

I can't speak to East Lansing, but I can speak to Ann Arbor. Given how much UM leans on its golf course for parking, they might not want to destroy a couple holes. Thousands of cars will do that, day or night I suppose. Perhaps that is why some schools are balking? Again, just speculating, but there's more to hosting a game than just turning on the lights.

I remember the 1985 destruction of ND (35-13) at the Beav in the rain/sleet and what a mess the parking lots were. Tow trucks made a mint that night if they didn't get stuck themselves.

PSU white out games at night are must watch tv, electric atmosphere that ranks among the best in college football..As an objective fan, I would love to see UM and PSU be a night game this year. As a UM homer, I'm relieved every time UM avoids that same atmosphere..While a PSU fan can say UM shouldn't be afraid of the night slot if they are a legit championship caliber team, a UM fan would counter that PSU shouldn't need the benefit of a hostile night game atmosphere in order to win if they are legit..neither side will have the chance to prove their point, as going forward game broadcasts will be strictly determined by the networks...He who pays the piper calls the tune, BigTen teams unanimously gave up control in return for cash, simple as that...

I can't speak to East Lansing, but I can speak to Ann Arbor. Given how much UM leans on its golf course for parking, they might not want to destroy a couple holes. Thousands of cars will do that, day or night I suppose. Perhaps that is why some schools are balking? Again, just speculating, but there's more to hosting a game than just turning on the lights.

I remember the 1985 destruction of ND (35-13) at the Beav in the rain/sleet and what a mess the parking lots were. Tow trucks made a mint that night if they didn't get stuck themselves.
Let’s be honest here. Mechicken didn‘t want to face us in a WO after the debacle a few years back when it was so loud they had to take a timeout BEFORE THE FIRST PLAY! One of the greatest moments in sports. They had numerous bad snaps and delays because of the noise. They will do anything to avoid facing that again.

Here is that amazing night. Read the comments below, including Mich fans. Got goosebumps watching it again….

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
It doesn't matter who or what time that UM plays this year. Jim and his Big Blue Death Star will crush everyone on their schedule and in the Playoffs. Talk to any Georgia fan and the one school they don't want to play in the Playoffs - the Big Blue of Michigan - the winningest CF program of all-time

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It doesn't matter who or what time that UM plays this year. Jim and his Big Blue Death Star will crush everyone on their schedule and in the Playoffs. Talk to any Georgia fan and the one school they don't want to play in the Playoffs - the Big Blue of Michigan - the winningest CF program of all-time

How about TCU, should we ask them??? LMAO. scUM losses to TCU as a significant favorite, but UGa is afraid to play them.....

Let’s be honest here. Mechicken didn‘t want to face us in a WO after the debacle a few years back when it was so loud they had to take a timeout BEFORE THE FIRST PLAY! One of the greatest moments in sports. They had numerous bad snaps and delays because of the noise. They will do anything to avoid facing that again.

Here is that amazing night. Read the comments below, including Mich fans. Got goosebumps watching it again….

You're not reinventing the wheel, it makes sense that any team would be happy to avoid a night game at PSU..The question is why can't PSU fans bring the same level of excitement and noise for a noon game?...Do the fans need to be drunk in order to be loud?..Just asking....It's a shame that going forward PSU will have to play it's biggest home games at noon thx to FOX..

Is this a parody account, maybe a butt hurt sparty fan?....No UM fan ever refers to Michigan as "big blue", not in conversation, and not on a message board..

Missed ya. Where ya been?

Michigan absolutely wanted to avoid this and as I inderstand it should have been playing in a White Out but weasled out due to the pansy no night game in Nov horse crap that has surfaced. That will change. Nevertheless, the crowd needs to bring it at noon. Promises to be a great game!

Is this a parody account, maybe a butt hurt sparty fan?....No UM fan ever refers to Michigan as "big blue", not in conversation, and not on a message board..
Wolve1972 likes to stir crap up - in a non-malicious way - on all message boards. Don't take him seriously.

If you go to the Nebraska board, they swear he's an Iowa fan just trying to irritate everyone. It actually gets comical on some of the other Rivals boards

Michigan absolutely wanted to avoid this and as I inderstand it should have been playing in a White Out but weasled out due to the pansy no night game in Nov horse crap that has surfaced. That will change. Nevertheless, the crowd needs to bring it at noon. Promises to be a great game!
Is there a statement to that effect?..My understanding was that this was simply FOX wanting that game for Big Noon...There is the possibility that Michigan will play a night game in November, either Purdue or Maryland..

Is there a statement to that effect?..My understanding was that this was simply FOX wanting that game for Big Noon...There is the possibility that Michigan will play a night game in November, either Purdue or Maryland..

The only thing somewhat definitive is that Michigan seems to be holding on to the "no November night games" based on the article with their AD or President talking to NBC saying that Warren didn't get the proper permission to allow for such games.

Nobody knows the exact pecking order of how the networks pick games yet nor how often CBS and NBC can have rights over FOX.

All we know is Penn State vs Sparty is now a Black Friday 730 kick at Ford Field and Sparty/OSU is now a NBC 730 kick its weekend. Penn State/Michigan is a FOX BNK game.

The only thing somewhat definitive is that Michigan seems to be holding on to the "no November night games" based on the article with their AD or President talking to NBC saying that Warren didn't get the proper permission to allow for such games.

Nobody knows the exact pecking order of how the networks pick games yet nor how often CBS and NBC can have rights over FOX.

All we know is Penn State vs Sparty is now a Black Friday 730 kick at Ford Field and Sparty/OSU is now a NBC 730 kick its weekend. Penn State/Michigan is a FOX BNK game.

Exactly, we know for sure that scUM was told by NBC that they were selected for a Nov Primetime telecast.... and that scUM told NBC they refused to play a night game on the basis it was in Nov.... and that NBC immediately notified new B1G Commissioner that this was a breach of contract and they were withholding $70 million in payments due to damages unless an amicable solution could be reached. As part of a potential resolution, the new B1G Commissioner negotiated a two for one on NBC's Primetime selection - MSU @duhO$U and PSU @MSU on Black Friday, but the B1G had to grant significant concessions/guarantees, especially to MSU, to make this happen.

Sorry, but NBC doesn't select Purdon't or Turtletown vs scUM with their first selection, nor would NBC threaten to withhold $70 million causing the new B1G Commissioner to do backflips in an attempt to mollify the situation for either of these being declined.... FOX has granted contractual rights to duhO$U-scUM every year as their first game selection - Pretty clear that NBC had next selection and chose scUM @PSU to make it PSU's Primetime Whiteout.... scUM breached NBC's Contractual Rights causing the massive brouhaha that we just saw play out in the media.

Exactly, we know for sure that scUM was told by NBC that they were selected for a Nov Primetime telecast.... and that scUM told NBC they refused to play a night game on the basis it was in Nov.... and that NBC immediately notified new B1G Commissioner that this was a breach of contract and they were withholding $70 million in payments due to damages unless an amicable solution could be reached. As part of a potential resolution, the new B1G Commissioner negotiated a two for one on NBC's Primetime selection - MSU @duhO$U and PSU @MSU on Black Friday, but the B1G had to grant significant concessions/guarantees, especially to MSU, to make this happen.

Sorry, but NBC doesn't select Purdon't or Turtletown vs scUM with their first selection, nor would NBC threaten to withhold $70 million causing the new B1G Commissioner to do backflips in an attempt to mollify the situation for either of these being declined.... FOX has granted contractual rights to duhO$U-scUM every year as their first game selection - Pretty clear that NBC had next selection and chose scUM @PSU to make it PSU's Primetime Whiteout.... scUM breached NBC's Contractual Rights causing the massive brouhaha that we just saw play out in the media.
So what was given to Sparty to accept having two possible ass whoppins in prime time? They have had a lot of defections and, while one never knows with certainty, those games could be brutal. And that could really hurt recruiting. Plus, our game is now off campus losing home field plus hurting local merchants. Had to give them quite the kicker to agree.

Wolve1972 likes to stir crap up - in a non-malicious way - on all message boards. Don't take him seriously.

If you go to the Nebraska board, they swear he's an Iowa fan just trying to irritate everyone. It actually gets comical on some of the other Rivals boards
Yeah. I've seen him on the ND Rivals board a few times and he's basically harmless once you figure him out and what he's about

Reactions: The Spin Meister
So what was given to Sparty to accept having two possible ass whoppins in prime time? They have had a lot of defections and, while one never knows with certainty, those games could be brutal. And that could really hurt recruiting. Plus, our game is now off campus losing home field plus hurting local merchants. Had to give them quite the kicker to agree.

Their AD said significant concessions/guarantees were given - he stated that their gate revenues were guaranteed and that concession and East Lansing Retailers were somehow taken care of, but didn't give all the specifics. Here is a hotlink to the article from 3 days ago:

MSU's Alan Haller fully explains his Black Friday Ford Field decision

I'm sure the gate and vendor guarantees amount to a pretty decent sum, but a fraction of $70 million NBC was threatening to withhold... scUM spending the conference's $$$ again to their own exclusive benefit - this conference is really puke-inducing... Why scUM is entitled to share in the saved potentially lost contactual revenues that they caused in the first place is quite beyond me.

Pretty clear that NBC had next selection and chose scUM @PSU to make it PSU's Primetime Whiteout.... scUM breached NBC's Contractual Rights causing the massive brouhaha that we just saw play out in the media.

How is it clear? Fox has the game right now. Do you really think NBC had the rights to it and just gave it away in a matter of weeks? Considering Notre Dame doesn't have a game that week, NBC could have put it in that 230-530 time slot even if Michigan refused a 730 night game. Why would they just completely relinquish it?

How is it clear? Fox has the game right now. Do you really think NBC had the rights to it and just gave it away in a matter of weeks? Considering Notre Dame doesn't have a game that week, NBC could have put it in that 230-530 time slot even if Michigan refused a 730 night game. Why would they just completely relinquish it?

No they couldn't, you don't know what you're talking about - NBC is specifically named as the "Primetime Partner" in the new contact. That is why the PSU-MSU game @FordField on Black Friday is @7:30pm. NBC only holds rights to Primetime B1G Telecasts. They didn't "relinquish it" - they went back to the B1G and told them scUM refusing to play a PT game was a breach of their contractual rights and that they were withholding $70 million in contractual payments to cover damages. The new B1G Commissioner was left with the problem scUM created to try and negotiate a SOLUTION - that's what all of these plethora of media articles are about!

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
NBC is specifically named as the "Primetime Partner" in the new contact

So they can't move a game time around to get 1 of the 3 best matchups if they have the rights to the game? They couldn't stand pat and fight it? Their only option was to withhold money and let Fox have it?

You are loony. I don't know what is legit and I'm fairly certain you don't either. Enjoy your interpretation Bushy.

So they can't move a game time around to get 1 of the 3 best matchups if they have the rights to the game? They couldn't stand pat and fight it? Their only option was to withhold money and let Fox have it?

You are loony. I don't know what is legit and I'm fairly certain you don't either. Enjoy your interpretation Bushy.

Yea, the whole brouhaha was initiated by NBC using their first pick to try and get Purdon't or the Turtles..... versus scUM. Uh-huh, right-o scUM-boy. LMAO.

Yea, the whole brouhaha was initiated by NBC using their first pick to try and get Purdon't or the Turtles..... versus scUM. Uh-huh, right-o scUM-boy. LMAO.

Show me something that states what pick NBC has. Show me where they gave up this game. I'll wait Bushy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT