ADVERTISEMENT

PSU comes out flat after bye weeks

PennSt8er

Aug 16, 2001
Also comes out flat in early games. Not sure how that bodes for what are fundamentally two weeks off before OSU. However, the team has some bodies to heal and has dominated on D. Allar needs to learn to settle down on the road—throws were off yesterday. I still think OSU is a toss-up, and would normally have already written it off as an L in the Shoe by now. This is the most solid team I have seen top to bottom in a long time and I think they will compete in a slugfest. If Allar gets time in the pocket and passes more on target, we may be top 3 in 2 weeks.

Two things that have been consistent throughout Franklion’s reign. These next three weeks will determine PSUs fate. Got to work hard to smooth out several offensive wrinkles. Three tough games left and 4 weaklings.

Smart scheduling to have the UMASS game after the bye week but they’d better figure out how to be ready to play at noon for the Ohio State and Michigan games.

P.S. still trying to understand how coaches can let a delay of game penalty occur for the 2nd half kickoff.

Most college football teams come out flat after bye weeks. Despite the popularity notion that byes are a big advantage, the opposite is true.

The BIG has a losing record after byes each of the last 3 seasons (possibly excluding COVId year - no stats from that year should count so I never looked it up).

Some great teams/coaches have crazy stats after byes. For example, Jim Treasel at OSU had a winning percentage close to .800 overall. And a losing record off of byes.

Smart scheduling to have the UMASS game after the bye week but they’d better figure out how to be ready to play at noon for the Ohio State and Michigan games.

P.S. still trying to understand how coaches can let a delay of game penalty occur for the 2nd half kickoff.
I thought he kicked off before the ref blew the whistle. I don't know. The announcers didn't say a word.

I thought he kicked off before the ref blew the whistle. I don't know. The announcers didn't say a word.
They called a delay of game…announcers didn’t pick up on it, but assume we somehow missed getting it off before the play clock expired.

They called a delay of game…announcers didn’t pick up on it, but assume we somehow missed getting it off before the play clock expired.

No, kicking before the Ref starts the Game Clock is also a Delay of Game penalty because you are preventing the game from starting at that point.

Reactions: PSU_Nut

Typical for the day... not sure I've ever seen that one before. Gabe's kicks seem to be getting shorter by the week.

No, kicking before the Ref starts the Game Clock is also a Delay of Game penalty because you are preventing the game from starting at that point.
The kicker put his hand up and looked at the official before kicking it (and Northwestern was definitely ready for it), but maybe they were still trying to hold it for TV and the referee didn't acknowledge it. Based on the fact that the announcers were still talking, that probably does make more sense than the play clock expiring.

Reactions: mcpat
The kicker put his hand up and looked at the official before kicking it (and Northwestern was definitely ready for it), but maybe they were still trying to hold it for TV and the referee didn't acknowledge it. Based on the fact that the announcers were still talking, that probably does make more sense than the play clock expiring.

Doesn't matter if he puts his hand up - the ball is not ready for play until the Official blows his whistle. The Official doesn't wait for a signal from kicker - they wait for a signal from the box that the Broadcaster is ready to go, but the kicker has to wait for Official to put ball in play with his whistle.

Mental lapses on both kickoffs to start both half’s is not indicative of a team the coaches have ready to play. I don’t mean to be overly critical; there was a lot to like in that game. But I can do without stupid mental lapses.

Reactions: psu00
Doesn't matter if he puts his hand up - the ball is not ready for play until the Official blows his whistle. The Official doesn't wait for a signal from kicker - they wait for a signal from the box that the Broadcaster is ready to go, but the kicker has to wait for Official to put ball in play with his whistle.
Kind of wish the guys on this board needed a whistle before they could post. There are a bunch here who would've been penalized!

Reactions: OzLion
But usually, if you put that hand up, the official will stop you (or should stop you) if they aren’t ready for play.

Unsure why it happened. Frankly, it may have been on the officials. In any event, why would any coach blow a time out before the second half even begins to avoid a 5 yard delay of game on a kickoff?

Mental lapses on both kickoffs to start both half’s is not indicative of a team the coaches have ready to play. I don’t mean to be overly critical; there was a lot to like in that game. But I can do without stupid mental lapses.
You don’t mean to be overly critical. Sure whatever you say. I also didn’t realize that fumbles on kickoffs were “mental lapses” rather than physical. Thanks for the education.

Doesn’t game clock remain at 15:00 until ball is kicked?

Coaches take a 2 week vacation and then return for the OSU game week. Or at least it seems that way after a bye week.

Also comes out flat in early games. Not sure how that bodes for what are fundamentally two weeks off before OSU. However, the team has some bodies to heal and has dominated on D. Allar needs to learn to settle down on the road—throws were off yesterday. I still think OSU is a toss-up, and would normally have already written it off as an L in the Shoe by now. This is the most solid team I have seen top to bottom in a long time and I think they will compete in a slugfest. If Allar gets time in the pocket and passes more on target, we may be top 3 in 2 weeks.
We come out flat in early start road games vs inferior opponents. That won't happen vs OSU. We will be ready.
We come out flat in early start road games vs inferior opponents. That won't happen vs OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT