ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what people don't understand about today's game

Jerry

May 29, 2001
The performance on O, in particular the OL and running game, was an elaborate set-up to lull Iowa into a false sense of security. Pure coaching genius! Next week the hammer comes down!

Haha!

OK seriously, the D performed up to its billing today and then some. Of course it doesn't hurt to have an opposing QB with, uh, limitations.

As for Drew, I'm not worried. His stats weren't great and he missed some throws -- the drops didn't help -- but he didn't make any big mistakes, and no matter his talent, his first year as starter was bound to be a learning experience and bumpy at times.

However, I am concerned about the OL. Against a team that Kansas's offense pretty much dominated, we couldn't get the best RB combo in the country going...and Drew often didn't have a pocket to throw in.

Still, next week, at home, I'm confident we beat Iowa, probably the best team in the conference's West Division, and several weeks later roll into Columbus undefeated.

Hopefully by then, we'll have at least partly ironed out these issues and progressed enough on all fronts to have a decent chance, especially given that the Bucks of 2023 don't seem to be at the same level as recent editions.

The performance on O, in particular the OL and running game, was an elaborate set-up to lull Iowa into a false sense of security. Pure coaching genius! Next week the hammer comes down!

Haha!

OK seriously, the D performed up to its billing today and then some. Of course it doesn't hurt to have an opposing QB with, uh, limitations.

As for Drew, I'm not worried. His stats weren't great and he missed some throws -- the drops didn't help -- but he didn't make any big mistakes, and no matter his talent, his first year as starter was bound to be a learning experience and bumpy at times.

However, I am concerned about the OL. Against a team that Kansas's offense pretty much dominated, we couldn't get the best RB combo in the country going...and Drew often didn't have a pocket to throw in.

Still, next week, at home, I'm confident we beat Iowa, probably the best team in the conference's West Division, and several weeks later roll into Columbus undefeated.

Hopefully by then, we'll have at least partly ironed out these issues and progressed enough on all fronts to have a decent chance, especially given that the Bucks of 2023 don't seem to be at the same level as recent editions.
If we can get past Iowa we should be 5-0 going to Columbus. Northwestern & UMass are probably the two weakest teams remaining on the schedule.

Reactions: Jerry
While the play of today's game was disappointing for many, specifically the first half, it's important to keep perspective. This was Penn State's first road game of the season, which is always a challenging environment, even against a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten opponent like Illinois.

And we can't forget that every team has its struggles, but as fans, we mostly focus on PSU. Although we aspire to greatness, we need not overreact to one performance.

The team is still gelling and has a long season ahead to improve. With the right adjustments and preparation, I'm confident we'll see better results on the road moving forward. 😉

Look at what happened with FSU today away at BC. They nearly lost to BC, and embarrassingly BC dominated in total yards. It’s not easy to play on the road, and while I share the real concern about our running game, we should be happy with a 30 - 13 win.

Look at what happened with FSU today away at BC. They nearly lost to BC, and embarrassingly BC dominated in total yards. It’s not easy to play on the road, and while I share the real concern about our running game, we should be happy with a 30 - 13 win.
And do you think FSU fans are happy or relieved? If you're an FSU fan you're not feeling anywhere near as good about your team as you were before kickoff today

Haha!

I agree about the OL. On the other hand, I thought the run call were predictable.

Reactions: Jerry
If we can get past Iowa we should be 5-0 going to Columbus. Northwestern & UMass are probably the two weakest teams remaining on the schedule.

I'm pretty confident we will beat Iowa next week.

The early Vegas line has us favored by 10. I think we'll cover that number but am not ready to bet on it quite yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT