ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty Please NO “Pribula Package”.

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
No disrespect at all to Beau, but if Allar wins the QB job as expected, I really hope the coaches don’t feel the need to implement a special Pribula Package. IMHO, these packages are far more disruptive to offensive flow than any benefit they provide. My 2 cents.

Reactions: RandyL
No. Whoever wins the job should get the vast majority of the snaps. No special packages.
OMG 🏈 talk on a 🏈 board. It must be Christmas with loads of 🎁🎁🎁 under the 🎄.

I agree, if the package turns our backup QB into a full back (which we don't need ever again - I hope) or some other such nonsense.

However, if the overall playbook is the same and the package for each QB is a subset of the total plays or options during plays that match their best skill set, I am all for it.

I think the moniker 'Pribula Package' overstates the current roster needs. In fact, given the current power/speed running game and jumbo Wing T short yardage package PSU has, I think we are safe from Visions of qb Packages Past.

Reactions: RickinDayton
OMG 🏈 talk on a 🏈 board. It must be Christmas with loads of 🎁🎁🎁 under the 🎄.

I agree, if the package turns our backup QB into a full back (which we don't need ever again - I hope) or some other such nonsense.

However, if the overall playbook is the same and the package for each QB is a subset of the total plays or options during plays that match their best skill set, I am all for it.

I think the moniker 'Pribula Package' overstates the current roster needs. In fact, given the current power/speed running game and jumbo Wing T short yardage package PSU has, I think we are safe from Visions of qb Packages Past.
By use of the term “Package”, I meant a special set of plays where Pribula is deployed in a different role from QB just to get him on the field and keep him happy as apart from normal backup QB reps in a blowout win.

By use of the term “Package”, I meant a special set of plays where Pribula is deployed in a different role from QB just to get him on the field and keep him happy as apart from normal backup QB reps in a blowout win.

I understood this to be the point from your original post. You raised a good point and I agree with you. No need for the coaches to introduce a Pribula package.

Reactions: NittanyChris
No kidding
So, what dictionary do you use for Package and what do the coaches mean when using the term.

Write this down ... There will be no separate offense specific to only Pribula for the reasons I stated. Coach speak means whatever the coach wants it to mean or wants it to do.

Has there been any evidence of what you fear in the spring or fall practices? No. Was there in the past at these same milestones. Yes. At least that is how I see it. You may be right. Time will tell. I just don't see it.

No disrespect at all to Beau, but if Allar wins the QB job as expected, I really hope the coaches don’t feel the need to implement a special Pribula Package. IMHO, these packages are far more disruptive to offensive flow than any benefit they provide. My 2 cents.
Although I expect Allar to “win” the QB competition, I also expect Pribula to get AT LEAST as many snap as Allar got last year. As I believe this talented team will likely provide a lot of “ garbage” time, I think Pribula will get more than that…..package or not.
—We need at least 2 QB’s to be completely prepared at all times. Trust Franklin on this.

Pribula is more Trace than Will and or Tommy. If he comes into the game, I think you might see more zone reads, and more called QB runs off the zone read package than what the play calling will look like with Allar.

Think of it more similar to JJ McCarthy playing his freshman year. Harbaugh took advantage of his running, but he wasn't out there playing Wildcat QB running a half dozen Powers nor lining up as a WR or TE doing gadget plays.

At the end of the day, I hope we get big enough leads to play Pribula as much as Allar played last year. One thing I do know, if Allar gets hurt and Pribula struggles, the calls for JFs head will roar "because he didn't give Pribula any meaningful playing time!"

That's a relief.

justin timberlake dancing GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reactions: bison13
Pribula is more Trace than Will and or Tommy. If he comes into the game, I think you might see more zone reads, and more called QB runs off the zone read package than what the play calling will look like with Allar.

Think of it more similar to JJ McCarthy playing his freshman year. Harbaugh took advantage of his running, but he wasn't out there playing Wildcat QB running a half dozen Powers nor lining up as a WR or TE doing gadget plays.

At the end of the day, I hope we get big enough leads to play Pribula as much as Allar played last year. One thing I do know, if Allar gets hurt and Pribula struggles, the calls for JFs head will roar "because he didn't give Pribula any meaningful playing time!"
I keep going back to this.... As you point out.. The circumstances now are far from those of 6 years ago... So, the strategy changes.

Reactions: lazydave841
Pribula has different skills than Allar so I assume the offense would be different with him at QB.

Personally I hope Pribula plays the entire second half against Delaware and UMass.
A percent. Yes. However, there is a lot of offense the both can execute.

Actually, we must implement a Pribula package because he lacks the arm to execute half the offense. If Allar would go down, we'd be stuck with the second coming of Roberson and wouldn't be able to move the ball against most Big Ten teams.

Although I expect Allar to “win” the QB competition, I also expect Pribula to get AT LEAST as many snap as Allar got last year. As I believe this talented team will likely provide a lot of “ garbage” time, I think Pribula will get more than that…..package or not.
—We need at least 2 QB’s to be completely prepared at all times. Trust Franklin on this.
Never trust Franklin on anything, especially related to the Quarterback position.

We certainly don't need to use Beau as a full back. This team is in a much better position with depth and talent than a few years ago.

Building on some of the offensive packages we saw last year I don't think we will see that unless Allar gets dinged up.

Let our super talented backs do the bulk of the work. It will make Allars job that much easier.

Hope for lots of Beau in 2nd halves. But I also think Allar needs plenty of reps before the meat of the schedule.

The Rose Bowl was the best game they played under Franklin. Let's hope they keep rolling.

I bet you will be the first person complaining if Allar gets hurt that they should have played Beau more and not just in garbage time.

I bet you will be the first person complaining if Allar gets hurt that they should have played Beau more and not just in garbage time.
Many here will always feel strongly both ways. 😏

Your reading comprehension seems to be lacking. You’re missing the point entirely. As I’ve said multiple times, I’m fine getting Pribula reps AS A QB. What I DON’T want is any special package that uses him in a different role from QB just to get him on the field, thereby interrupting the flow of the normal offense. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT