ADVERTISEMENT

Posnanski: "Why They Fight: Joe Paterno's Family Will Not Stop Battling"

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
JoePo goes deep. Even manages to speak with Mary Kay.

By Joe Posnanski
WHAT’S IN A NAME?
Joe Paterno's family won't quit the fight to restore his legacy
CDIYdYtXIAIwMP5.jpg

Jay Paterno tells a story. It is autumn, and his son is playing in a ninth-grade football game. Early in the first quarter, his son pushes through and brings down the ball carrier. The public address announcer says: “Tackle made by Joe Paterno.”

When the game ends, Joey Paterno goes to his mother, Kelley, and admits that he grimaced when he heard his name called over the loudspeaker.

“Why?” Kelley asks.

“Because,” he says. “I didn’t know how people would react to hearing it.”

“And that,” Jay Paterno says, his eyes filling with tears, “is why we fight.”

“The most saddening findings of the Special Investigative Counsel is the total and consistent disregard by the most senior leaders at Penn State.

“They exhibited a striking lack of empathy for Sandusky’s victims by failing to inquire as to their safety and well-being, especially by not attempting to determine the identity of the child who Sandusky assaulted …”

“Paterno told a reporter that ‘I didn’t know exactly how to handle it, and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was. So I backed away and turned it over to other people.’”

“The Special Investigative Counsel finds that it is more reasonable to conclude that, in order to avoid the consequences of bad publicity, the most powerful leaders at the University – Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and Curley – repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky’s child abuse.”

— From Findings in the Freeh Report.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – On July 12, 2012, former FBI Director Louis Freeh announced that he and his group had investigated, prosecuted, tried and effectively convicted the late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno of heinous crimes that included covering up the child sexual abuse by a former coach, Jerry Sandusky. The Freeh group did so without subpoena power, without identifying accusers, without guidance from sexual abuse experts, without putting anyone under oath and without testimony from Joe Paterno or anyone speaking in his defense. There were no appeals granted.

The Freeh Report ended all arguments and closed all doors. It was accepted across America. Media reports called it an “independent investigation,” though the Penn State Trustees – who controversially had fired Joe Paterno – paid more than $8 million for it. Media reports also called it “exhaustive” – repeatedly parroting Freeh’s claim that the group spoke to 430 key figures and that 3.5 million documents were analyzed – ignoring that the Freeh group, by its own admission, did not talk to a dozen or so key figures, save for an eleventh-hour interview with Graham Spanier, the former Penn State president. Spanier is now suing Freeh for libel and defamation.

The Freeh Report led directly to the ruination of Joe Paterno’s reputation, built over 61 years as a football coach at Penn State. Penn State scrubbed clean its stadium and gameday program of Paterno references. His alma mater, Brown University, removed Paterno’s name from its athletic award. After a threatening banner was flown over State College – “TAKE DOWN THE STATUE OR WE WILL” – a statue of Joe Paterno that stood outside Beaver Stadium and had been a landmark for Penn State fans was torn down and hidden.

Then the NCAA swooped in, announcing crushing sanctions against Penn State football: the cutting of scholarships; probation; a bowl ban; a $60 million fine and the removal of 112 victories, 111 of them under Joe Paterno. The NCAA left the impression that the Penn State program was lucky to not get the dreaded death penalty. “Worry about getting your culture right,” NCAA President Mark Emmert lectured Penn State.

The most piercing example of the Freeh Report’s power involved Nike chairman Phil Knight, who had spoken many times about his love and admiration for Joe Paterno. “I’m a man who needs heroes,” he said on numerous occasions. “And Joe Paterno fills my need.” He spoke lovingly of Paterno at his funeral. After the report, though, he entirely changed course. “It appears Joe made missteps that led to heartbreaking consequences,” Knight said. “I missed that Joe missed it.” He then announced that Nike would take Paterno’s name off its child care center.

In State College, the family of Joe Paterno watched it all in disbelief and horror.

“The lies they’re telling about Joe,” Sue Paterno told Dan McGinn, the crisis manager the family had hired. “I can’t believe the lies they’re telling about Joe.”

“Sue,” McGinn told her. “They are having their moment now. But I can promise you this: We will write the final chapter.”

Continue: http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/joe-paterno-family-fight-after-penn-state-scandal/

Last edited:
It's articles like these that show the tide has turned. Eventually, the NYT or 60 Minutes will jump aboard, and instead of traveling at 4 mph we'll be up to 60 mph, and the BOT and Freeh will face the music once and for all.

Reactions: WeR0206
It's articles like these that show the tide has turned. Eventually, the NYT or 60 Minutes will jump aboard, and instead of traveling at 4 mph we'll be up to 60 mph, and the BOT and Freeh will face the music once and for all.
God I hope so!

Good article.

The only thing I wish he would've mentioned was the 1998 incident, and how many think Joe knew about that.

I have long said that the stone casters would get theirs in time. The universe is just, sometimes it just takes time.

Thank you Joe Posnanski for that article. Very well written. And thanks ChiTownLion for bringing it to our attention.

Thank God the Paternos have the strength of purpose, and the financial resources, to fight back. Sadly, while progress has been made, I doubt Joe's reputation and legacy will ever return to anything close to what it was prior to his firing by our contemptible November, 2011 Board of Trustees.

It's interesting that JoPo does not lend his own opinion to this piece, but you'd have to think that he now realizes that the original narrative was total BS. He's got a big megaphone, and hopefully he will use it more forcefully over time.

So who do you think is going to be harder on the bot in court? The NCAA or Sollers? I think it's a pick 'em at this point.

I think that the record will show that the BOT and the NCAA are too thick together at this point for either of them to finger the other. Not sure what their strategy will be, though.

I hope the NCAA and the BOT's (both unethical entities) blame and turn on each other in court.......Maybe then we could get some truth out of them that way..........However, using the word truth with the BOT's and NCAA in the same sentence..........just don't go together:rolleyes:

No change in public opinion is going to come. Everything has been cast. There will be a small blurb somewhere but PSU will forever be PED STATE thanks to the university's response to everything.

I hate saying it but that is my belief.

JoePo goes deep. Even manages to speak with Mary Kay.

By Joe Posnanski
WHAT’S IN A NAME?
Joe Paterno's family won't quit the fight to restore his legacy
CDIYdYtXIAIwMP5.jpg

Jay Paterno tells a story. It is autumn, and his son is playing in a ninth-grade football game. Early in the first quarter, his son pushes through and brings down the ball carrier. The public address announcer says: “Tackle made by Joe Paterno.”

When the game ends, Joey Paterno goes to his mother, Kelley, and admits that he grimaced when he heard his name called over the loudspeaker.

“Why?” Kelley asks.

“Because,” he says. “I didn’t know how people would react to hearing it.”

“And that,” Jay Paterno says, his eyes filling with tears, “is why we fight.”

“The most saddening findings of the Special Investigative Counsel is the total and consistent disregard by the most senior leaders at Penn State.

“They exhibited a striking lack of empathy for Sandusky’s victims by failing to inquire as to their safety and well-being, especially by not attempting to determine the identity of the child who Sandusky assaulted …”

“Paterno told a reporter that ‘I didn’t know exactly how to handle it, and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was. So I backed away and turned it over to other people.’”

“The Special Investigative Counsel finds that it is more reasonable to conclude that, in order to avoid the consequences of bad publicity, the most powerful leaders at the University – Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and Curley – repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky’s child abuse.”

— From Findings in the Freeh Report.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – On July 12, 2012, former FBI Director Louis Freeh announced that he and his group had investigated, prosecuted, tried and effectively convicted the late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno of heinous crimes that included covering up the child sexual abuse by a former coach, Jerry Sandusky. The Freeh group did so without subpoena power, without identifying accusers, without guidance from sexual abuse experts, without putting anyone under oath and without testimony from Joe Paterno or anyone speaking in his defense. There were no appeals granted.

The Freeh Report ended all arguments and closed all doors. It was accepted across America. Media reports called it an “independent investigation,” though the Penn State Trustees – who controversially had fired Joe Paterno – paid more than $8 million for it. Media reports also called it “exhaustive” – repeatedly parroting Freeh’s claim that the group spoke to 430 key figures and that 3.5 million documents were analyzed – ignoring that the Freeh group, by its own admission, did not talk to a dozen or so key figures, save for an eleventh-hour interview with Graham Spanier, the former Penn State president. Spanier is now suing Freeh for libel and defamation.

The Freeh Report led directly to the ruination of Joe Paterno’s reputation, built over 61 years as a football coach at Penn State. Penn State scrubbed clean its stadium and gameday program of Paterno references. His alma mater, Brown University, removed Paterno’s name from its athletic award. After a threatening banner was flown over State College – “TAKE DOWN THE STATUE OR WE WILL” – a statue of Joe Paterno that stood outside Beaver Stadium and had been a landmark for Penn State fans was torn down and hidden.

Then the NCAA swooped in, announcing crushing sanctions against Penn State football: the cutting of scholarships; probation; a bowl ban; a $60 million fine and the removal of 112 victories, 111 of them under Joe Paterno. The NCAA left the impression that the Penn State program was lucky to not get the dreaded death penalty. “Worry about getting your culture right,” NCAA President Mark Emmert lectured Penn State.

The most piercing example of the Freeh Report’s power involved Nike chairman Phil Knight, who had spoken many times about his love and admiration for Joe Paterno. “I’m a man who needs heroes,” he said on numerous occasions. “And Joe Paterno fills my need.” He spoke lovingly of Paterno at his funeral. After the report, though, he entirely changed course. “It appears Joe made missteps that led to heartbreaking consequences,” Knight said. “I missed that Joe missed it.” He then announced that Nike would take Paterno’s name off its child care center.

In State College, the family of Joe Paterno watched it all in disbelief and horror.

“The lies they’re telling about Joe,” Sue Paterno told Dan McGinn, the crisis manager the family had hired. “I can’t believe the lies they’re telling about Joe.”

“Sue,” McGinn told her. “They are having their moment now. But I can promise you this: We will write the final chapter.”

Continue: http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/joe-paterno-family-fight-after-penn-state-scandal/
This is truly an excellent, excellent article! Well done Mr. Posnanski.

Can't unring the bell. And there are plenty of ignorant people who never took the time to scrutinize any details or consider all the information. That will be the case going forward as well. But that doesn't mean the pursuit of truth should stop. I have had plenty of arguments about this whole mess and it is truly amazing how such strong opinions are based on the weakest knowledge of even the basic facts.

Reactions: WeR0206
Can't unring the bell. And there are plenty of ignorant people who never took the time to scrutinize any details or consider all the information. That will be the case going forward as well. But that doesn't mean the pursuit of truth should stop. I have had plenty of arguments about this whole mess and it is truly amazing how such strong opinions are based on the weakest knowledge of even the basic facts.
And that's simply because people base their beliefs on visceral reactions, not facts. Facts require analysis. Analysis requires thinking. And the majority of people are too lazy to think. It's truly heartrending, but that's the state of our society today.

Reactions: royboy
"Jay says there is one person in State College who rarely misses an opportunity to berate his family; he once screamed obscenities at 15-year-old Joey Paterno."

So who is this asshole - that Bernie McCue?

"Jay says there is one person in State College who rarely misses an opportunity to berate his family; he once screamed obscenities at 15-year-old Joey Paterno."

So who is this asshole - that Bernie McCue?

That was my guess...

Bicycle Bernie, the drunk who writes obscenities on Collegians in red ink.

Has Phil Knight put the sign back up?
And perhaps most telling of all, Phil Knight has turned hard on the Freeh Report – which he now calls “worthless” — and hard on himself for caving in to the pressure after it came out. He says Joe Paterno and his track coach Bob Bowerman were the two most moral men he ever knew, and he berates himself for losing sight of that in the emotion and madness that swirled around in the moments after the Freeh Report came out.

“I have to recognize myself,” he writes in his foreword to Jay Paterno’s book. “I am a child of the west, who grew up to be the sheriff with the lynch mob outside the jail. ‘Give us the prisoner or we’ll kill you both,’ is the cry of the mob. I forestall for hours, then say, ‘Take him.’ No rewinds. I have to live with this. … Because I believe if the situation had been reversed, Joe Paterno would have left my name up, lynch mob be damned.”

I trust when Sue makes the call to put the name back, Phil will listen. I don't know if he still has the power to do it alone, but he better put up one hell of a stink.

Reactions: Chris97
One good thing about this new format is that when you reply, the thread goes to the top of the board. This thread should be at the top of the board every damn day. It is the only article written with an iota of common sense. I've always said several missed the opportunity to spot a serial pedophile, but to suggest that they KNEW IT with any amount of certainty, THEN decided knowingly to brush it aside in the name of football is ridiculous.

But.... we can thank the BOT for allowing that dramatic tale of a fallen hero to propogate..... Idiots.

Thought of this this morning for whatever reason: Wouldn't it be something if Joe Paterno III became an All-America linebacker for Penn State?

Reactions: simons96
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT