ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Favorite 90's Rap Artist, Duo, or Group!!

Who is YourFavorite 90's Rap Artist, Duo, or Group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

A few folks were interested in this category in the Drake v. Meek Mills thread but I don't expect a ton of participation. Having said that, 90's rap was, IMO, rap's golden years. Also, I was in HS at the time and those songs tend to stick with you a lot more at that age. Anyway, here are the rules/considerations....

1. Three votes per person.

2. This is a very difficult and tricky category because there are a lot of guys who were part of a group but who also had solo acts. So a group like NWA wouldn't qualify because their biggest album, Straight Outta Compton, came out in the late 80's. But, Ice Cube and Dr. Dre get a spot because they both had albums that defined the 90's rap music scene.

In addition, some acts had great albums in the very early 90's, but were mostly big in the 80's (Eric B and Rakim), so I left them off. In addition, I really wanted to get Missy Elliott on this list but her best work was in the early 00's IMO. Of course, I know rap purists (are there any on this board??) will have a lot to say about the 'skill' of some of these guys, so I tried to balance the ballot with popular, beat oriented artists (Dre) as well as more pure, technique driven acts (Nas) - with everything in between.

EDIT: I realize I left Jay Z off this list, but he was a bit late to the game in the 90's (though before Eminem). So, when it came down to Jay Z vs. Eminem for the last spot, I went for the one with more talent....;). But, write him in if you like.

Note, we're not voting on 'best rap album' or anything, but the group or artist had to have one important one int he 90's for consideration.

3. Write-in's welcome!

1. Dr. Dre - 'The Chronic'

Dr-dre.jpg

2. Wu-Tang Clan - 'Enter the Wu-Tang Clan: 36 Chambers'

4ca98c7c7df7dc0442be60400dbf0426.720x477x1.jpg

3. A Tribe Called Quest - 'The Low End Theory'

a-tribe-called-quest.jpg

4. Public Enemy - 'Fear of a Black Planet'

ChuckD.jpg

5. Beastie Boys - 'Check Your Head'

2061859-adam-yaught-beastie-boys-617-409.jpg

6. Ice Cube - 'AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted'

IceCube.jpg

7. Notorious B.I.G. - 'Ready to Die'

NotoriousBIG.jpg

8. 2Pac - 'All Eyez On Me'

tumblr_n79sdbsr221ru9fhso1_500.jpg

9. Nas - 'Illmatic'

nas2_WEB.jpg

10. Eminem - 'The Slim Shady LP'

eminem-26449-1920x1080.jpg

I'd rather bang my self on the head with a hammer than listen to rap. That being said, I'm voting for Ice Cube only because I liked some of his movies.

Well done sir - I like that you found a way to participate despite your distaste for this particular music genre. And Ice Cube made my Top 3 too :).

I think Ice Cube's "Amerikka's Most Wanted" was the most influential to me personally, but I'm surprised you went with "Fear of a Black Planet" for PE. IMHO "Apocalypse 91 . . . The Enemy Strikes Black" is a much better written and produced album.

btw, currently have "Licensed to Ill" in my car CD player . . . girls! all I really want is girls!!!

(oh wait that was '86) :D

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I think Ice Cube's "Amerikka's Most Wanted" was the most influential to me personally, but I'm surprised you went with "Fear of a Black Planet" for PE. IMHO "Apocalypse 91 . . . The Enemy Strikes Black" is a much better written and produced album.

btw, currently have "Licensed to Ill" in my car CD player . . . girls! all I really want is girls!!!

(oh wait that was '86) :D

Well, I wasn't going for the artists 'best album' of the decade per se, but one that sort of stood out for me. Could have done 'Ill Communication' for the Beastie Boys too, but everyone knows that one.

Your three votes are noted. I figured you were probably an EPMD or Kool G Rap fan; sorry they didn't make the cut! :(

seriously dude, no Biz Markie? no KRS-One? Cypress Hill? Missy Elliot? Salt n Pepa? Master P? Snoop Dogg?? Busta Rhymes??? Naughty by Nature???

you're slippin, bro.

seriously dude, no Biz Markie? no KRS-One? Cypress Hill? Missy Elliot? Salt n Pepa? Master P? Snoop Dogg?? Busta Rhymes??? Naughty by Nature???

you're slippin, bro.

Rivals limits me to 10; who do I take off? And I love a lot of those acts, but who do I take off? I mean, I had to leave OutKast, DJ Quik, Kwame, Big Daddy Kane, Sir Mix A Lot, and Geto Boys off the list too.

your snub of LL Cool J is unforgiveable. :D

Oooh!!! Yeah, he was HUGE in the 90's. But, I had to make room for ATCQ and Nas or someone would kill me for not having less popular, but more credible, artists on the list.

Reactions: simons96
honestly, I don't care if you don't like or appreciate rap music. but the open contempt some white people have for it . . . keep it to yourself. if you cannot appreciate it, don't listen to it. don't comment on it. go back to watching Fox News . . .
I actually like them all. Depends on my mood. My question to you would be how did you know that poster was white? Just wondering. :)

In the battle of the Ices, I prefer Ice-T to Ice-Cube. Also loved his little rock-rap crossover Body Count. Never saw so many nerdy white kids at Penn State geek out to that during the grunge craze of the early 90s.

NSFW, sure some people are gonna get steamed over this:

Reactions: jjsocrates
In the battle of the Ices, I prefer Ice-T to Ice-Cube. Also loved his little rock-rap crossover Body Count. Never saw so many nerdy white kids at Penn State geek out to that during the grunge craze of the early 90s.

I listened to 'The Iceberg/Freedom of Speech' album nonstop one summer when I worked cutting grass on the military base I lived. Loved it!

Frankly, I'm surprised that I was the first vote for Tupac. 2Pacalypse Now was one of the first records that I purchased, and it's still among my favorites - even though you could argue quite easily that each successive Pac album was better than the last until they started releasing the posthumous stuff.

Frankly, I'm surprised that I was the first vote for Tupac. 2Pacalypse Now was one of the first records that I purchased, and it's still among my favorites - even though you could argue quite easily that each successive Pac album was better than the last until they started releasing the posthumous stuff.

The Makaveli/Illuminati stuff was great too. Maybe my favorite 2Pac stuff.

honestly, I don't care if you don't like or appreciate rap music. but the open contempt some white people have for it . . . keep it to yourself. if you cannot appreciate it, don't listen to it. don't comment on it. go back to watching Fox News . . .
This is why I encourage the use of personal headsets in the locker room.

Great. Here comes Tipper Gore and G. Gordon Liddy and all the other morons. :)

(Nothing unites Republicans and Democrats quicker than the need for censorship.)

nothing was funnier in American history than Dan Quayle reading those lyrics aloud

The Makaveli/Illuminati stuff was great too. Maybe my favorite 2Pac stuff.
I personally prefer the political/Black Panther-inspired Tupac a bit more than the later stuff, but you can't really deny the appeal of the raw, almost paranoid stuff you see on the later albums, Makaveli in particular.

It's significantly better than Country Music, which was spawned by, and for, unintelligent white trash and serves as the battle cry for domestic terrorism.

Horrible, horrible stuff.

"modern" country is arguably the worst music ever created. Most of the songs are simply 80s tunes with no synth but added slide guitar or banjo and slightly different lyrics.

Sometimes it isn't even well hidden.

LdN

that reminds of the last time rap/hip hop was presented in an unbiased fashion on Fox News . . . it was a cold December day back in 20-NEVER

I don't watch Fox News so I wouldn't know. Not sure why you even brought it up except that you're a borderline psychotic far left idiot.

A few folks were interested in this category in the Drake v. Meek Mills thread but I don't expect a ton of participation. Having said that, 90's rap was, IMO, rap's golden years. Also, I was in HS at the time and those songs tend to stick with you a lot more at that age. Anyway, here are the rules/considerations....

1. Three votes per person.

2. This is a very difficult and tricky category because there are a lot of guys who were part of a group but who also had solo acts. So a group like NWA wouldn't qualify because their biggest album, Straight Outta Compton, came out in the late 80's. But, Ice Cube and Dr. Dre get a spot because they both had albums that defined the 90's rap music scene.

In addition, some acts had great albums in the very early 90's, but were mostly big in the 80's (Eric B and Rakim), so I left them off. In addition, I really wanted to get Missy Elliott on this list but her best work was in the early 00's IMO. Of course, I know rap purists (are there any on this board??) will have a lot to say about the 'skill' of some of these guys, so I tried to balance the ballot with popular, beat oriented artists (Dre) as well as more pure, technique driven acts (Nas) - with everything in between.

EDIT: I realize I left Jay Z off this list, but he was a bit late to the game in the 90's (though before Eminem). So, when it came down to Jay Z vs. Eminem for the last spot, I went for the one with more talent....;). But, write him in if you like.

Note, we're not voting on 'best rap album' or anything, but the group or artist had to have one important one int he 90's for consideration.

3. Write-in's welcome!

1. Dr. Dre - 'The Chronic'

Dr-dre.jpg

2. Wu-Tang Clan - 'Enter the Wu-Tang Clan: 36 Chambers'

4ca98c7c7df7dc0442be60400dbf0426.720x477x1.jpg

3. A Tribe Called Quest - 'The Low End Theory'

a-tribe-called-quest.jpg

4. Public Enemy - 'Fear of a Black Planet'

ChuckD.jpg

5. Beastie Boys - 'Check Your Head'

2061859-adam-yaught-beastie-boys-617-409.jpg

6. Ice Cube - 'AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted'

IceCube.jpg

7. Notorious B.I.G. - 'Ready to Die'

NotoriousBIG.jpg

8. 2Pac - 'All Eyez On Me'

tumblr_n79sdbsr221ru9fhso1_500.jpg

9. Nas - 'Illmatic'

nas2_WEB.jpg

10. Eminem - 'The Slim Shady LP'

eminem-26449-1920x1080.jpg
I'm way out of my league here, but I voted for Wu-Tang Clan, Tupac and Eminem. Again, my votes might pollute the results by lack of knowledge, but here goes. It's mostly on feel and the fact that three I voted for are the ones with which I am most familiar.

I've heard Eminem speak in interviews and watched some of his vids and read his lyrics. This guy has "it." The "it' that great artists have. It's a revelation when you hear someone who is so seemingly inarticulate with everyday speech get up and express themselves with such confidence artistically. It reminded me of when I heard Robert de Niro interviewed for the first time. ??? Was that really him?

Tupac - I read quite a bit about him at one point and have watched a lot of his live footage, as well as being forced to listen to him by a friend. He had "it" too. Boatloads of charisma and talent. From what I gather, his posthumous influence is massive. His life and death is the stuff of legends.

Wu-Tang Clan - They really fascinated me at one time because of the rap/hip hop/shaolin thing. I've watched a lot of their vids on youtube. They somehow melded nine individual styles into one coherent whole with a lot of creativity and style. Just check out the lyrics of "Triumph." Great stuff.

There are 26 faces in that montage and every one has a "Yeah, I'm a tough guy badass" scowl on it. That makes me kinda roll my eyes a bit.

Dr. Dre was the coolest. Loved his music videos with all the great girls and hydraulic cars.

Dre is probably one of the best producers ever. His album featuring Snoop back in the early 90's is still one of the best ever. I think it was called the Chronic.

How is Illmatic ranked 9th? That's usually listed as the top hip hop album ever. Not just the 90's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT