ADVERTISEMENT

Players who I had written off from PSU who turned out to be Players

I would cringe last year when Jordan Van der Berg woud come on the field and now the claim is that he has become a force at DT.....if he does become the type of penetrating DT this year I will gladly admit that I was wrong.

I had a similar belief on Allen Robinson.....not so tall, not super fast.......early in his career, could not believe that he was getting snaps and by the end of his career he was in the conversation for best PSU WR ever.

Others somewhat on the list Jeff Hartings (too small), Evan Royster (too slow for his size) and Matt McGloin (not a strong arm, short).

Anyone else have a player who either dramatically improved, or that you were not impressed in their play who eventually became very, very good players for PSU?
Gotta go with Aric Heffelfinger.

Reactions: brupsu
McGloin played behind an Oline taken from the intramural league. And fourth and fifth team running backs. The top receiver and punter left. All new coaching staff. Played with injuries.

Amazing he even survived.

No doubt. I don’t think anyone questions or disagrees with anything you have stated.

My original comment had more to do with McGloin’s QB skills. I thought his moxie was way ahead of his pure QB skills.

McGloin played behind an Oline taken from the intramural league. And fourth and fifth team running backs. The top receiver and punter left. All new coaching staff. Played with injuries.

Amazing he even survived.
False on the OL. False on the receiver. Arob was the top receiver.

I would cringe last year when Jordan Van der Berg woud come on the field and now the claim is that he has become a force at DT.....if he does become the type of penetrating DT this year I will gladly admit that I was wrong.

I had a similar belief on Allen Robinson.....not so tall, not super fast.......early in his career, could not believe that he was getting snaps and by the end of his career he was in the conversation for best PSU WR ever.

Others somewhat on the list Jeff Hartings (too small), Evan Royster (too slow for his size) and Matt McGloin (not a strong arm, short).

Anyone else have a player who either dramatically improved, or that you were not impressed in their play who eventually became very, very good players for PSU?

My player would be TE Brenton Strange. I thought he had hands of stone and was below average in 2021. Then Strange had a tremendous season in 2022. I completely underestimated him.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
We really need our recievers to step up to be a playoff team.

No doubt. I don’t think anyone questions or disagrees with anything you have stated.

My original comment had more to do with McGloin’s QB skills. I thought his moxie was way ahead of his pure QB skills.
He never got to show his skills with such a poor team around him. No way Tok now just how he would have progressed with good talent around him.

And I don’t say this to be mean to or disrespect his team mates. They were tremendous people to stick together through the worst 💩 storm a university team every went through. I am forever thankful for their efforts. It’s just a fact that the team was decimated by sanctions and transfers.

Reactions: mcpat
He never got to show his skills with such a poor team around him. No way Tok now just how he would have progressed with good talent around him.

And I don’t say this to be mean to or disrespect his team mates. They were tremendous people to stick together through the worst 💩 storm a university team every went through. I am forever thankful for their efforts. It’s just a fact that the team was decimated by sanctions and transfers.
Huh? Wasn't mcgloin's best season 2012?

Someone else mentioned Darryl Clark; I’ve always thought of him as an overlooked superstar.

22-4 as a starter. Back-to-back 11 win seasons and top ten finishes. 60 TDs (passing + rushing) in those two seasons against 16 INTs. Twice first team all Big Ten.

And how many PSU QBs can beat his .750 winning pct against Ohio State and Michigan?

Someone else mentioned Darryl Clark; I’ve always thought of him as an overlooked superstar.

22-4 as a starter. Back-to-back 11 win seasons and top ten finishes. 60 TDs (passing + rushing) in those two seasons against 16 INTs. Twice first team all Big Ten.

And how many PSU QBs can beat his .750 winning pct against Ohio State and Michigan?
He is too often overlooked.

Reactions: mcpat
He is too often overlooked.
A former colleague of mine went to ND and was as big of a Domer as there is. Ended up being Head of Marketing for Subway and he took Jarred of all people to the PSU/ND game to do promo appearances before the formerly fat fireman was outed as a perv. They had sideline passes and were on the field for warm ups.

He told me after the game that he was really impressed with one of our qbs from the pregame...."great arm...zip on his passes...I can hear a "hum" that you don't often find...kid is gonna be something.: I remember being somewhat surprised that it was Darryl Clark who was maybe a redshirt (grayshirt) frosh at the time.

He was right.

Not sure Clark is right for this thread. He was never written off. He bided his time behind Morelli and had 2 great years.
he would be the spokesperson for the under appreciated guy at PSU along with Tony Hunt, Chris Godwin and maybe this year....Johnny Dixon.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT