ADVERTISEMENT

Phil's Inside Look at PSU Football--Tidbits about the program going into the July 4 weekend.Of

BWI PHIL GROSZ

May 29, 2001
Recently here in the Lions Den there has been a lot of discussion about how many scholarship players will be signed by Penn State for the classes of 2016 and 2017. As we all know there are a lot factors that will impact those numbers.

In addition to the players that are expected to graduate after the upcoming 2015 season the number of scholarships available for the class of 2016 will be impacted by any academic situation that might arise with a player. Then you have to take into consideration possible transfers before the 2016 season and also consider players that might choose not to come back for there final year of eligibility in 2016.

When you take all of those factors into consideration Penn State could have anywhere between 21 to 25 scholarships to give for the class of 2016 with the most likely possibility being either 22 or 23 scholarships. Also there is one other factor to take into consideration and that is the fact scholarships given to former walk-on players are routinely reviewed on a yearly basis.

Personally, I think there is a distinct possibility there could be as many as two transfers before signing day [Feb. 3, 2016] for the class of 2016. I also believe there is a high probability that Christian Hackenberg and most likely Austin Johnson will make the decision to enter the 2016 NFL draft and not be back for the 2016 season and that as many as three additional players might choose not to take their final year of eligibility in 2016.

With Penn State now having 82 scholarship players on its projected 2015 roster going into its preseason practice scheduled to begin on August 6, if all the above would take place that would project Penn State can and most likely will sign 22 or 23 players in its class of 2016.

What I'd like to do now is breakdown the 2016 scholarship situation position-by-position on offense and defense. Will begin our discussion with with the QB position on offense.

Quarterback--- With Penn State already having a verbal commitment from Jake Zembiec [6-3 1/2, 211] and with Hakenberg, Rs. Fr. Trace McSorley and Fr. Tommy Stevens on the roster, it doesn't appear James Franklin and his staff plan to recruit another QB for the class of 2016. That seems to be the case even with Hackenberg projected to enter the 2016 NFL draft and Franklin saying on numerous occasions he likes to have 4 scholarship QBs on the roster.

Projected No.--- [1]

Running Back--- Penn State will have six running backs on its scholarship roster at the end of the 2015 season. Sr. Akeel Lynch, incoming freshmen Saquon Barkley and Andre Robinson, plus redshirt sophomores Mark Allen, Nick Scott and Johnathan Thomas. That's why I believe verbal commitment Miles Sanders [5-10 1/2, 195] will be the only running back Penn State will sign in the class of 2016. If everyone on scholarship remains at Penn State that will give Penn State 7 scholarship running backs on its projected 2016 roster with only Lynch not having at least three years of eligibility.

Projected No.---[1]

Wide Receiver--- Penn State's situation at wide receiver is very similar to its situation at running back. Penn State has had exceptional wide receiver recruiting classes the last two years landing what many people believe might be the No.1 group of wide receivers in the Big Ten for both the classes of 2014 and 2015. In 2014---Saeed Blacknall, Chris Godwin and DeAndre Thompkins and in 2015---Irvin Charles, Juwan Johnson and Brandon Polk.

That's why I believe Penn State plans to sign just one wide receiver in its class of 2016. With the graduation of Matt Zanellato at the end of the upcoming 2015 season, that will leave Penn State with 9 scholarship wide receivers on its 2016 roster with just Eugene Lewis and Jake Kiley being seniors and the other seven having at least 2 years of eligibility.

Penn State's No.1 target here is Tre Nixon [6-1, 170] from Viera, Fla. Nixon and his family plan to be at Penn State's barbecue on Saturday, July 18.

Projected No.-- [1]

Tight End
--- This is one position on offense I'm concerned that Penn State might fall one short of the projected number of tight ends I believe Penn State would like to sign for the class of 2016. With Kyle Carter graduating after the 2015 season and Brent Wilkerson being a senior in 2016, I believe it would be in Penn State's best interest to sign two [2] tight ends in its class of 2016. Mike Gesicki and Adam Breneman will be juniors in 2016 and Nick Bowers and Jonathan Holland most likely will be redshirt freshmen next fall.

That would give Penn State five TEs on its scholarship roster after the 2015 season, but this is a guess on my part--- I question if Wilkerson will take his final year of eligibility in 2016 and I'm still not 100-percent secure with Breneman's health situation.

Penn Sate already has a verbal commitment from Danny Dalton [6-5, 230] for the class of 2016 and that may be enough if Breneman's health is 100-percent and Wilkerson returns for the 2016 season. But in my mind that is a BIG question mark.

Projected No.--- [1 or 2]

Offensive Line
--- For the first time since Franklin became Penn State's 16th head football in January, 2014, Penn State existed spring practice with a legitimate 2-deep situation on the offensive line. That 2-deep situation is listed directly below:
LT-- Paris Palmer/Chance Sorrell
LG-- Brendan Mahon/Derek Dowrey
C--- Angelo Mangiro/Wendy Laurent/*Kevin Reihner
RG-- Brian Gaia/ Chasz Wright
RT-- Andrew Nelson/ Brendan Brosnan/Noah Beh
*-- Kevin Reihner enrolled at Penn State in mid-May at the start of the first summer semester.

With just Reihner and and Mangiro graduating after the upcoming 2015 season, if Penn State is able to sign 5 offensive linemen in its class of 2016 that will give Franklin and his staff an acceptable total of 18 scholarship offensive linemen on its projected 2016 roster. That's if Dowrey, Gaia and Laurent all decide to take their 5th year of eligibility in 2016.

Penn State has already received four verbal commitments from offensive linemen [ OG/OT Will Fries, OT Alex Gellerstedt, C/OG Connor McGovern and OG/OT Michal Menet]. If Penn State does sign another offensive lineman in all probability it will be an offensive tackle. The two leading candidates in my opinion are Zach Adams [6-6, 315] from Fredericksburg [Va.] Riverbend and Lucas Niang [6-5, 295] from New Cannan, Ct.

Projected No.-- [4 or preferably 5]

I'll take a detailed look at the scholarship situation on defense in Penn State's class of 2016 in another "Inside Look" on Monday, July 6 or Tuesday, July 7.

What I want to finish up this "Inside Look" with are a few tidbits surrounding the football team going into the July 4 holiday weekend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News