ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State's Terrell Barraclough Enters Transfer Portal

Gabe has been pretty adamant about 174 being his best weight, and he's the best of the three of them (and possibly their best shot for a title if he's at 174). He went at 184 a couple times this year while on redshirt, but I don't think he will do it long term. PK and Caliendo both have multiple years left. If he wants to go 174, then someone needs to beat him in a challenge for it, which I don't think will happen. If you start telling the best kids in the program that they have to move up to a weight they are not comfortable to accomodate a guy they can beat in the room, they'll start leaving.
The GIA assumption is Gable is their best 174 pounder. I believe the reason Kennedy wrestled 174 this season is because he was the best 174 pounder in the room.

The odds are better that the NCAA grants Spencer an exemption to try again for his 4th title than Gable ever wins a title for Iowa.

With Nelson Brands possibly being granted an extra year, the arrival of Ferrari and the already there Caliendo and Kennedy I doubt Arnold makes the starting lineup this year.

Who knows though. If Carter decides to stay and wrestle 197, maybe Arnold could bump up to 197 to give Carter that promised lesson in humility.

Reactions: Sullivan
Don't they still have Siebrecht? And I have no earthly idea why Caliendo would want to cut to 157 only to find his own personal nightmare Mesenbrink waiting to annihilate him 3 more times. I think Terrell should just go home to Utah Valley, eat, be happy, and go at 165 or 174, and then in March, kick as much ass as possible and get on the podium. This man took Shane Griffith into deep waters, beat multiple ranked guys, and is arriving wherever he arrives with 4 years of the best coaching and practice partners that is possible in the world. Going to Iowa City to get injured halfway into the season makes zero sense.

Siebrecht doesn't get much love on GIA. I don't understand it because many complain about Hawk wrestlers being poor at scrambling.

IMO, a sucked-down PK isn't going to score that much more than Siebrecht. As for Caliendo, asking a two-time AA at 165 to cut to 157 in his fourth year makes no sense.

Asking Caliendo to suck down to 157 seems like a very bad move. He looks filled out at a long frame. He's their most reliable wrestler (Ayala is another argument but he's in a parity filled weight class) and just was 4th with 3 world champions ahead of him and walloped Ramirez, the 3 seed. I know Cael's MO is his best guys should pick their weights and everyone else makes do, not the best guys makes a hard cut or goes to a weight they're small at to get others into the line (example, Lee staying 141 instead of going 149 for Bartlett early)

Maybe Caliendo has hollow bones and can make it but Kennedy should be the one that sucks it up and makes a huge cut if he wants into the lineup.

Reactions: hlstone
Asking Caliendo to suck down to 157 seems like a very bad move. He looks filled out at a long frame. He's their most reliable wrestler (Ayala is another argument but he's in a parity filled weight class) and just was 4th with 3 world champions ahead of him and walloped Ramirez, the 3 seed. I know Cael's MO is his best guys should pick their weights and everyone else makes do, not the best guys makes a hard cut or goes to a weight they're small at to get others into the line (example, Lee staying 141 instead of going 149 for Bartlett early)

Maybe Caliendo has hollow bones and can make it but Kennedy should be the one that sucks it up and makes a huge cut if he wants into the lineup.
Well, I mean, the assumption is that there would be a wrestle-off for 165 and the loser would have to suck or sit. If I had to bet on it, I would take Caliendo to win the spot, but PK is pretty good, too, and there's not a whole lot of separation between them.

Well, I mean, the assumption is that there would be a wrestle-off for 165 and the loser would have to suck or sit. If I had to bet on it, I would take Caliendo to win the spot, but PK is pretty good, too, and there's not a whole lot of separation between them.
I think Caliendo has earned 165 regardless of any wrestleoff results tbh. Odd results happen but Caliendo has proven he is a finalist at that weight without Keegan/Carr.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Siebrecht doesn't get much love on GIA. I don't understand it because many complain about Hawk wrestlers being poor at scrambling.

IMO, a sucked-down PK isn't going to score that much more than Siebrecht. As for Caliendo, asking a two-time AA at 165 to cut to 157 in his fourth year makes no sense.
There is very little sense to be had on GIA.

The only reason to have Caliendo cut would be if he can do it effectively and if messenbrink stays 165. Because his chances of winning 165 with MM there is pretty much 0. If he gets to a weight class without MM (157 or 165) he has a real shot

The only reason to have Caliendo cut would be if he can do it effectively and if messenbrink stays 165. Because his chances of winning 165 with MM there is pretty much 0. If he gets to a weight class without MM (157 or 165) he has a real shot
If he is at Mesenbrink's weight he has almost a zero chance.
If he is at Levi's weight he has almost a zero chance.
If he is at O'Toole's weight he has almost a zero chance.

No matter where he goes there is a more talented beast. Wrestle a weight that allows him to be happy and train to be his best.

No matter where he goes there is a more talented beast. Wrestle a weight that allows him to be happy and train to be his best.
Or throw in the towel and go out for basketball! 😈

• Haha
Reactions: SlipperyPete12
The GIA assumption is Gable is their best 174 pounder. I believe the reason Kennedy wrestled 174 this season is because he was the best 174 pounder in the room.

The odds are better that the NCAA grants Spencer an exemption to try again for his 4th title than Gable ever wins a title for Iowa.

With Nelson Brands possibly being granted an extra year, the arrival of Ferrari and the already there Caliendo and Kennedy I doubt Arnold makes the starting lineup this year.

Who knows though. If Carter decides to stay and wrestle 197, maybe Arnold could bump up to 197 to give Carter that promised lesson in humility.
I think that is selling Arnold short , he did beat some decent opponents. I thought he beat the AA from Columbia at 174 and he did beat Feldcamp and the kid from Oregon State. PK is real tough and was close to AA but not convinced PK beats Arnold.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Iowa will redshirt Angelo (I think he has to add weight anyways, he was wrestling 165-170 in HS) and let Nelson wrestle 184 before giving Angelo 184 the next year.

I think that is selling Arnold short , he did beat some decent opponents. I thought he beat the AA from Columbia at 174 and he did beat Feldcamp and the kid from Oregon State. PK is real tough and was close to AA but not convinced PK beats Arnold.
Wittlake was a shell of his former self last year. A few years ago, that would've been a really good win.

Carter wrecked Wittlake 19-3. Arnold's 4-2 win doesn't indicate he's the beat 174 on Iowa's roster.

Considering what Carter said about Levi not wanting to cut to 157 anymore I could see him redshirting and Kasak going 157/MM going 165. If that is what happens and Caliendo can make 157 him or Meyer is the title favorite

Gabe has been pretty adamant about 174 being his best weight, and he's the best of the three of them (and possibly their best shot for a title if he's at 174). He went at 184 a couple times this year while on redshirt, but I don't think he will do it long term. PK and Caliendo both have multiple years left. If he wants to go 174, then someone needs to beat him in a challenge for it, which I don't think will happen. If you start telling the best kids in the program that they have to move up to a weight they are not comfortable to accomodate a guy they can beat in the room, they'll start leaving.
At this point what could possibly make you think Arnold is the best of the 3?

Caliendo is the best of the 3 but he is not at the same weight as Arnold. PK-Arnold? Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Arnold win a 3-2 match there.

Arnold and Ferrari will be captivating the Hawkeye faithful with lots of thrilling 1 or 2 point matches in the 3rd against guys ranked from 1 to 20 for the next four years. Maybe a finals appearance in a weight class with a lot of parity as well, maybe one for each. Good times in IC.

Arnold and Ferrari will be captivating the Hawkeye faithful with lots of thrilling 1 or 2 point matches in the 3rd against guys ranked from 1 to 20 for the next four years. Maybe a finals appearance in a weight class with a lot of parity as well, maybe one for each. Good times in IC.
Arnold anyway. TBD if the Ferrari clan lasts 4 years in Iowa ... where wrestlers go to become legends.

It's just what I think. Supposedly Arnold did not wrestle after a couple decent wins because he was injured. But he was OK to wrestle 184 a couple matches at the end of February (including beating Plott). I think if he was able to beat Kennedy he would have wrestled all year.

Of course there is always a strong chance I am full of baloney.

Last edited:
Considering what Carter said about Levi not wanting to cut to 157 anymore I could see him redshirting and Kasak going 157/MM going 165. If that is what happens and Caliendo can make 157 him or Meyer is the title favorite
No. If Kasak is the Lions 157 pounder Kasak beats Caliendo. Meyer also beats Caliendo.
Finals would most likey be Kasak and Meyer. All evidence available says there is no way Iowa produces a finalist at 157, especially if PSU and Cornell have equally talented kids. Second, all evidence indicates by the end of next year Calidendo will have had enough and most likely will not repeat let alone surpass his performance from this year.

Arnold anyway. TBD if the Ferrari clan lasts 4 years in Iowa ... where wrestlers go to become legends.
Even if Ferrari doesn't last 4 or 5 years at Iowa that isn't going to keep the GIA faithful from repeatedly explaining how if he was wrestling he would beat whoever is wrestling for Penn State and inspire 6 teammates to beat their Lion counterparts. So in GIA reality Iowa wins, don't you know?

No. If Kasak is the Lions 157 pounder Kasak beats Caliendo. Meyer also beats Caliendo.
Finals would most likey be Kasak and Meyer. All evidence available says there is no way Iowa produces a finalist at 157, especially if PSU and Cornell have equally talented kids. Second, all evidence indicates by the end of next year Calidendo will have had enough and most likely will not repeat let alone surpass his performance from this year.
Third, all evidence indicates that a majority of Brands-coached Iowa wrestlers tend to fizzle in their last year of competition. Some due to injury, some due to burn-out and others due to disciplinary issues. Several prime examples: (not an all inclusive list)

Spencer Lee
Real Woods
Alex Marinelli
Jacob Warner
Matt McDonough
Jaydin Eierman
Michael Kemerer
Tony Cassioppi
Nelson Brands
Abe Assad

Third, all evidence indicates that a majority of Brands-coached Iowa wrestlers tend to fizzle in their last year of competition. Some due to injury, some due to burn-out and others due to disciplinary issues. Several prime examples: (not an all inclusive list)

Spencer Lee
Real Woods
Alex Marinelli
Jacob Warner
Matt McDonough
Jaydin Eierman
Michael Kemerer
Tony Cassioppi
Nelson Brands
Abe Assad
DSJ (5,2,1,5)

Reactions: creamery freak

Spencer Lee
Real Woods
Alex Marinelli
Jacob Warner
Matt McDonough
Jaydin Eierman
Michael Kemerer
Tony Cassioppi
Nelson Brands
Abe Assad
Overall you made good points. But Nelson Brands last season was his best season..

Spencer Lee
Real Woods
Alex Marinelli
Jacob Warner
Matt McDonough
Jaydin Eierman
Michael Kemerer
Tony Cassioppi
Nelson Brands
Abe Assad
Kaleb Young
Sam Stoll
Nick Moore
And a guy few people have heard of - Bobby Telford (5,3,5)

Last edited:
Reactions: Split shot
It's just what I think. Supposedly Arnold did not wrestle after a couple decent wins because he was injured. But he was OK to wrestle 184 a couple matches at the end of February (including beating Plott). I think if he was able to beat Kennedy he would have wrestled all year.

I'm not saying you're full of baloney.

But he lost to Plott.

Low scoring, but not close, if I remember correctly.

Plott beat Arnold 5-1.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
I'm not saying you're full of baloney.

But he lost to Plott.

Low scoring, but not close, if I remember correctly.
Makes me feel better about Kennedy being better than Arnold. I would be better off looking stuff up, but sometimes I figure (incorrectly) my memory has got this.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Bittersweet news on Terrell, but mostly sweet. He deserves a D1 starting gig that leads to a shot at AA. Perhaps an omen for the news on “bearclaw”, I saw 4 more incredible grizzlies on a recent western trip. Thought I’d post one from Glacier NP in honor of our wicked smart team player walking off to a new challenge with all the strength and determination of, well, you know. Godspeed, young man.

Jg8U4Ev.jpg

I don't get all of this Kasak 157 talk given the little we know, countered by the lot of what we don't know.

Kasak started the year at 141. Has 3/4 of one season at 149 behind him there? What are the indications he has out grown that hop so quickly, or for that matter is the best choice for 157?

SVN was 149 a full year ago and has rehabbed an injury that severely limited his cardio for probably 6 months.

"If" Levi is no more for 157 which seems to be the case based upon some statements and rumors, then we seem to have at least 3 possibilities for that vacancy.

1. Kasak jumping up yet a second weight class, from 141 to 149 to 157 all within a calendar year.
2. SVN jumping up from his weight more than a year ago after a lengthy recovery.
3. Mesenbrink coming down to 157.

To be honest Kasak to 157 just might be the least likely of these three. Anyone but MM going down seems to create just more problems with who is going to fit where, or Levi redshirting, and all sorts of other scenarios lead to future problems. Sure Levi might shirt, so too Kasak, but on balance I didn't see a Levi shirt as a good thing for 2026 and beyond.

Reactions: Ski
I don't get all of this Kasak 157 talk given the little we know, countered by the lot of what we don't know.

Kasak started the year at 141. Has 3/4 of one season at 149 behind him there? What are the indications he has out grown that hop so quickly, or for that matter is the best choice for 157?

SVN was 149 a full year ago and has rehabbed an injury that severely limited his cardio for probably 6 months.

"If" Levi is no more for 157 which seems to be the case based upon some statements and rumors, then we seem to have at least 3 possibilities for that vacancy.

1. Kasak jumping up yet a second weight class, from 141 to 149 to 157 all within a calendar year.
2. SVN jumping up from his weight more than a year ago after a lengthy recovery.
3. Mesenbrink coming down to 157.

To be honest Kasak to 157 just might be the least likely of these three. Anyone but MM going down seems to create just more problems with who is going to fit where, or Levi redshirting, and all sorts of other scenarios lead to future problems. Sure Levi might shirt, so too Kasak, but on balance I didn't see a Levi shirt as a good thing for 2026 and beyond.
I think because a) Kasak was a lot more effective at 149 than he was at 141 makes it seem 141 was a difficult pull for him this past season and will probably be more so this coming season and b) Kasak was a true freshmen in his first college season, making a step up in weight classes not outlandish.

I don't think MM is going down to 157 from everything I've heard. SVN is a question mark healthwise but I wouldn't be shocked to see him at 157 this coming season with Kasak staying at 149.

I think because a) Kasak was a lot more effective at 149 than he was at 141 makes it seem 141 was a difficult pull for him this past season and will probably be more so this coming season and b) Kasak was a true freshmen in his first college season, making a step up in weight classes not outlandish.

I don't think MM is going down to 157 from everything I've heard. SVN is a question mark healthwise but I wouldn't be shocked to see him at 157 this coming season with Kasak staying at 149.
SVN is still a question mark healthwise?

He looked pretty healthy at the climbing gym last weekend!

I think Kasak to 157 got wings when Willie projected it for Crystal Ball, and Mineo ran with it. He definitely didn’t look like a small 149 by season’s end.
True but he seemed to get stronger each match at nationals and that sure isn't a sign that he was hitting a wall.

Bittersweet news on Terrell, but mostly sweet. He deserves a D1 starting gig that leads to a shot at AA. Perhaps an omen for the news on “bearclaw”, I saw 4 more incredible grizzlies on a recent western trip. Thought I’d post one from Glacier NP in honor of our wicked smart team player walking off to a new challenge with all the strength and determination of, well, you know. Godspeed, young man.

Jg8U4Ev.jpg
Awesome shot! My bear in the wild count went from about 6 to over 40 when I went to Katmai NP last September. Spotted 35 individual Brown Bears in the 4 hours we had on the ground in meadows and creeks in the far north of the park. It was incredible. Some got within 30 feet of our group - our guide carried road flares instead of spray given the swirling wind. She said that popping a road flare wigs the bears out and they vamoose. They paid us no mind surrounded as they were with fat and protein rich salmon that could barely swim as tired as they were.

Awesome shot! My bear in the wild count went from about 6 to over 40 when I went to Katmai NP last September. Spotted 35 individual Brown Bears in the 4 hours we had on the ground in meadows and creeks in the far north of the park. It was incredible. Some got within 30 feet of our group - our guide carried road flares instead of spray given the swirling wind. She said that popping a road flare wigs the bears out and they vamoose. They paid us no mind surrounded as they were with fat and protein rich salmon that could barely swim as tired as they were.
Can you “read” my envy? My wild grizzly count is now 14, all in the lower 48. Haven’t seen their larger cousins (the big Browns) yet, but I want to someday, tied to an Alaska hiking trip. Did you floatplane in to the area? I’ve researched doing that when my son and I get to go up.
Damn, that’s some great intel on the road flare. I believe I’ll add that to our bear spray arsenal on our next hike in bear country.
Settle down, grumblers. We’ve gone off thread topic before, and grizzlies are ALWAYS worth a minute or two diversion, including this mom and cubs from northern Yellowstone last week. This was right after she nursed them, a shot I won't show to protect the lady's privacy. ;)

JgUdkog.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT