ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State makes 2026 schedule change, adding Buffalo

Taking a cue from Michigan's non-conference schedule from last season. Programs the caliber of Michigan and PSU should play at least one non-conference game in which the outcome is in doubt; the players and fans deserve better.
When the playoff committee starts giving weight to strength of schedule vs. overall win/loss record - or the B1G goes to an 8 game conf. schedule, I'll agree with that. Until that day comes I say bring on all the cupcakes. SEC only plays 8 game conf. schedule and routinely schedules cupcakes late in the year - while we on the other hand have to go through Mich/OSU/Mich. St. every year and Iowa more years than not. With the expanded playoff it hopefully won't matter as much, but the point still stands.

Plus where did Mich's OCC schedule get them last year? The playoffs.

Taking a cue from Michigan's non-conference schedule from last season. Programs the caliber of Michigan and PSU should play at least one non-conference game in which the outcome is in doubt; the players and fans deserve better.
That makes more sense with a 4 team playoff not 12 team
We do agree about everyone deserves better than there needs to be at least one legit game. Better than WVU too.

There's little reason to do that if the goal is to make the playoffs, especially if you are in the Big 10 or SEC. The conference schedule alone is strong enough, and the committee has shown that they will factor in losses more than strength of schedule. Refer to Washington getting into the playoff over PSU in 2016 when they had a laughable non-conference schedule. It sucks for the fans but there's almost no upside for for PSU to schedule a tough non-conference slate. The biggest upside for PSU is with the expansion to 12 teams and the opportunity to host a game, even if qualified for the playoff a tougher schedule might vault you into hosting position but the committee might also do that for the SEC and Big 10 even without the tough opponent.

OOC schedule that year-

Marshall
@Temple
Buffalo

Scheduling Temple home and home was IMHO the stupidest thing Sandy did while here. Kraft needs to buyout that deal (or at least cancel the away game; Temple is fine to play at Beaver Stadium) and schedule a real team in 2025/26.

Also, what does this mean for the San Jose St game? That was scheduled in 2026 but this game seems to be replacing it.

There's little reason to do that if the goal is to make the playoffs, especially if you are in the Big 10 or SEC. The conference schedule alone is strong enough, and the committee has shown that they will factor in losses more than strength of schedule. Refer to Washington getting into the playoff over PSU in 2016 when they had a laughable non-conference schedule. It sucks for the fans but there's almost no upside for for PSU to schedule a tough non-conference slate. The biggest upside for PSU is with the expansion to 12 teams and the opportunity to host a game, even if qualified for the playoff a tougher schedule might vault you into hosting position but the committee might also do that for the SEC and Big 10 even without the tough opponent.
I understand what you are saying, but it's a sad state of affairs when it has come to that. Obviously, Michigan has come to that conclusion, and it appears as if PSU has too.

I understand what you are saying, but it's a sad state of affairs when it has come to that. Obviously, Michigan has come to that conclusion, and it appears as if PSU has too.
Michigan has Texas Oklahoma Notre Dame and...maybe Washington as their future opponents. Their schedule this year is pathetic but so is our's. Do we have any marquee match ups at all moving forward?

Actually Michigan is playing Texas in 2024 & 2027.

Michigan has Texas Oklahoma Notre Dame and...maybe Washington as their future opponents. Their schedule this year is pathetic but so is our's. Do we have any marquee match ups at all moving forward?
That PSU schedule is really pathetic. I wouldn't pay to see any of those games they have scheduled. I do question why B1G teams continue to schedule ND. They should be ignored by all B1G teams until they agree to fully commit to a conference.

That PSU schedule is really pathetic. I wouldn't pay to see any of those games they have scheduled. I do question why B1G teams continue to schedule ND. They should be ignored by all B1G teams until they agree to fully commit to a conference.
What do expect from a conference that happily admitted ND to play Big 10 Conference hockey?

Agreed on both especially ND
The issue is fans are paying for these games. As long as they continue they'll keep being scheduled

What do expect from a conference that happily admitted ND to play Big 10 Conference hockey?
It certainly is counter-productive if the B1G believes ND should be part of a conference. Maybe the BIG leadership is OK with allowing ND to use the conference to boost the ND standing athletically.?

Loved, loved, loved Joe. But, man, I still remember that Toledo games. It was almost as bad as the Iowa game.
Joe coached a lot of games…won more than anyone else…including many, many big games and often on the road.

I agree, however I will gladly pay to see the Temple game at The Linc because I will wake up and go to sleep in my own bed without an 8+ hour drive (with traffic), nor $1,000 shitty hotel weekend.

I get that playing Temple is not attractive, but it is like playing Pitt but without going 1:1. Last time at the Linc was one of the worst PSU experiences ever ("Sackenberg game").

Cuse, Pitt, WVU, and BC are teams that I saw every year during my college years. I care more about them than Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa or Nortwestern.

From the school where I teach we probably have 35+ kids going to the former group this year (Pitt has become very popular for SEPA kids). One girls lax scholarship going to the latter group.

Temple and Pitt are paydays for them, yet home games for many PSU grads...meaning we get to see our team without the hassles. The MAC games have always bern around. Cost of doing business. Adding USC and UCLA is a counter balance.

It is what it is...

Reactions: PS4814
And Alabama and Georgia and etc
Look at their future schedules--that's not true
I understand that them playing 8 conference games make it slightly easier but Bama has Texas, Wisconsin, Florida State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc in the future. And starting in 2025 they're playing two P5 games which reduces the impact on the 8 conference games
Georgia has a lot of Clemson plus UCLA, Florida State, Ohio State, etc in addition to Ga Tech every year.
Our schedule has to get better--we have nothing of interest in the next 6 years--not a single solid non-conference game. Not 1--unless you want to live in the 80s and pretend Syracuse/WVU is interesting--they're not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT