ADVERTISEMENT

Paniro named in ISU gambling probe

Sorry, I'm with the Iowa guys on this one. With what is coming out, this sounds like a lot of B.S. It's like getting pulled over for going 57 in a 55 mph zone while being passed by other guys going much faster. Yes, they broke the rules, but, they were targeted. I actually feel really bad for the wrestlers who were impacted. If this happened to PSU wrestlers, this board would be outraged.
Except, to follow the analogy: everybody knows that in many jurisdictions, you're getting a ticket if you are 1 inch above the speed limit with an out-of-state plate, regardless of how fast the locals go.

And you don't need to be trained annually on that to know that -- you can even skip the training and still know that.

That doesn't excuse possible police misconduct. But I can have only so much sympathy for those who committed the crime and especially those who went out of their way to conceal it. They all knew the consequences and proceeded anyway. They're not victims. If there were police misconduct, that's a case for disciplining the police.

Except, to follow the analogy: everybody knows that in many jurisdictions, you're getting a ticket if you are 1 inch above the speed limit with an out-of-state plate, regardless of how fast the locals go.

And you don't need to be trained annually on that to know that -- you can even skip the training and still know that.

That doesn't excuse possible police misconduct. But I can have only so much sympathy for those who committed the crime and especially those who went out of their way to conceal it. They all knew the consequences and proceeded anyway. They're not victims. If there were police misconduct, that's a case for disciplining the police.
Yeah, again, if their constitutional rights were violated, they deserve to have the criminal charges dropped because we have a Bill of Rights for a reason. I'm 100% on board with that. As for the NCAA violations, they brought that on themselves, and they knew what they were doing. They have no constitutional protection against NCAA sanctions.

I have no problem with NCAA penalties. Especially for a guy who goes to Twitter and says he signed paperwork confirming that he attended a mandatory meeting (about gambling) that he skipped.

When that kid is the son and nephew of a coach, um, ya cry me a river.

Add in the coach then going to a press conference and acting like he has the moral high ground when he’s not even watching his own family members attendance at said meetings… accept the 2nd place trophy you were going to receive regardless of suspensions and pick another thing to cry about.

Why waste time answering that tool? You're not giving him the response he is looking for so it will be ignored.

More importantly, it gives the impression he's worth responding to, and is welcome on this board, instead of being a black hole of decency who brought up a family member's suicide to try to score a point in an internet argument.

More importantly, it gives the impression he's worth responding to, and is welcome on this board, instead of being a black hole of decency who brought up a family member's suicide to try to score a point in an internet argument.
I'd forgotten about that until Dice's response to me. I don't pay close attention to much of the back and forth stuff between the boards, but yeah, it was one of the shittiest things I've ever seen anyone say on a message board.

I'd forgotten about that until Dice's response to me. I don't pay close attention to much of the back and forth stuff between the boards, but yeah, it was one of the shittiest things I've ever seen anyone say on a message board.

Combined with the actively belligerent ~"I said it and I'll do it again" follow-up, it is my opinion that he should never be engaged with as a welcome member of this board again.

Criminal charges dismissed against all Iowa State athletes, including Paniro Johnson. This does not affect his NCAA punishment.

Before anyone asks: if the NCAA reverses course and dismisses his punishment, then he can use his redshirt this year. If the NCAA stands its ground, then he loses this year.

Criminal charges dismissed against all Iowa State athletes, including Paniro Johnson. This does not affect his NCAA punishment.

Before anyone asks: if the NCAA reverses course and dismisses his punishment, then he can use his redshirt this year. If the NCAA stands its ground, then he loses this year.

The NCAA has the evidence that he gambled regardless of how it was obtained. I don't see the NCAA doing anything. But he will definitely file a lawsuit against the state

Too bad he f*cked up and still hasn't accepted responsibility for his actions.

It's just such a bad take. You're playing victim because they caught you breaking a rule - THE WRONG WAY???? I get it criminally - and appreciate the ways our laws are set up, especially considering how our police force is constructed and designed - but dude. you broke a rule regarding sports. Sports is not owed to you.

At the least ask for penance. sheesh

It's just such a bad take. You're playing victim because they caught you breaking a rule - THE WRONG WAY???? I get it criminally - and appreciate the ways our laws are set up, especially considering how our police force is constructed and designed - but dude. you broke a rule regarding sports. Sports is not owed to you.

At the least ask for penance. sheesh
Isn't he coming back next year anyways?

Reactions: Fatmarc

Absolute horseshit what happend to those athletes. Shameful targeting

And yet, they did bet when they “should” have known it was against NCAA rules. Had they not been breaking the rules, the targeting wouldn’t have found anything and the NCAA wouldn’t have acted.
Terrible what happened to them. It really is

Terrible what happened to them. It really is
The problem with the whole thing is that their constitutional rights were violated to obtain information about “kids” betting online. None of them were getting rich. None of them bet on their own sport. We also know now post NIL, that many football programs were breaking the NCAA rules for years and Johnny Manziel admitted in his documentary. He claimed he was offered big money to stay and win another title at A&M. The NCAA has always picked and chose what rules they want to enforce. They gave PSU the death penalty over Sandusky and not Michigan state over Nassar.

The whole system is broken. And in the end. You cannot illegally catch someone doing something and burn them anyway. NCAA needs to drop all punishment as well. The guys are kids at the end of the day. Remember that. Should they have known better … yes! But the grown ass adult special agents targeting them should have too! I’ll never be in favor of someone’s rights being taken from them. Even if they are from Iowa.

The problem with the whole thing is that their constitutional rights were violated to obtain information about “kids” betting online. None of them were getting rich. None of them bet on their own sport. We also know now post NIL, that many football programs were breaking the NCAA rules for years and Johnny Manziel admitted in his documentary. He claimed he was offered big money to stay and win another title at A&M. The NCAA has always picked and chose what rules they want to enforce. They gave PSU the death penalty over Sandusky and not Michigan state over Nassar.

The whole system is broken. And in the end. You cannot illegally catch someone doing something and burn them anyway. NCAA needs to drop all punishment as well. The guys are kids at the end of the day. Remember that. Should they have known better … yes! But the grown ass adult special agents targeting them should have too! I’ll never be in favor of someone’s rights being taken from them. Even if they are from Iowa.
Are they kids? They are all older than me when I signed on to an armed service.

C'mon man! You can't expect the son and nephew of college coaches in his mid-20s that missed his 6th year mandatory counseling session on gambling and NCAA sports (after attending 5 previous years) to be able to follow the rules. Adulting is hard! We can't be expecting these "kids" to be able to do it.

If only the athletes had been trained annually about those rules.
Tom was too busy recruiting to spend time on training. He should have probably assigned training to "Bobby Telford, from the University of Iowa".

Reactions: Lyons212
The athletes will sue the state of Iowa and definitely win since rights were violated and names defamed. But the NCAA case is different. Universities self report violations so they basically told on themselves. The NCAA didn't get the information from the state it was given by the universities. The NCAA won't change the punishments.

That’s like saying a group of university students suspended for plagiarism should be reinstated because they discovered that some of their professors had unpaid campus parking tickets.

That’s like saying a group of university students suspended for plagiarism should be reinstated because they discovered that some of their professors had unpaid campus parking tickets.
Professors’ unpaid parking tickets did NOT violate their constitutional rights. So it’s actually nowhere near the same. If you are going to use an analogy to make your case, please think it through. There are plenty of better examples. I also understand why people feel the way they do about the NCAA sanctions. I also think the kids were wrong and stupid. I just think we live in a different world today and these kids, because that’s what they are is kids, have access to way more than we ever did. And with really no training on how to handle it other than signing a piece of paper after a 30 minute .ppt. If we wanted to gamble as kids, we would have had to find some old pizza shop, tucked away in an alley, run by 3 guys from NYC who were employed at the top by someone named Gotti or Gambino. And then worried whether our legs would get broke if it went sideways. These kids have it in their pocket with a password protected phone and no boogeyman.

We live in a society today that has the same pitfalls, same obstacles, same predators coming for our kids and the same opportunities for success. What is different is that in a less than 20 year period all of our lives are online now, all of our shit that was once packed in nice little neat closet doors is now out there for others to unpack for us. And I can tell you, one or two rogue agents could unpack some shit in peoples lives on this very board that would make those kids look like saints. I’ve spent plenty of years targeting shit heads around the world so I know how easy it is for people with the right tools to get to these kids. And those tools were NEVER meant for some D bag rogue agent on US soil to go snooping through these kids personal lives to “try” to find stuff.

Again, I understand both sides of this and live my life with an empathy and NOT sympathy ethos. These kids need a little bit of space to have made a mistake, take punishment (which has already happened) and be allowed to come back and compete. Life isn’t always black and white. Its lived in the gray. Some are acting as if they are irredeemable. The only irredeemable actions in this case were done by adults who actually do know the law and purposefully broke the law while violating several kids rights to do so.

I retired from Armed service too. And I can tell you an 18 year old private is a dumb as a bag of rocks. As was I. And there is constant supervision, and guidance. And depending on your MOS you are deployed or training all the time. At least I was. So that analogy doesn’t hold water with me but thank you immensely for your service.

Professors’ unpaid parking tickets did NOT violate their constitutional rights. So it’s actually nowhere near the same. If you are going to use an analogy to make your case, please think it through. There are plenty of better examples. I also understand why people feel the way they do about the NCAA sanctions. I also think the kids were wrong and stupid. I just think we live in a different world today and these kids, because that’s what they are is kids, have access to way more than we ever did. And with really no training on how to handle it other than signing a piece of paper after a 30 minute .ppt. If we wanted to gamble as kids, we would have had to find some old pizza shop, tucked away in an alley, run by 3 guys from NYC who were employed at the top by someone named Gotti or Gambino. And then worried whether our legs would get broke if it went sideways. These kids have it in their pocket with a password protected phone and no boogeyman.

We live in a society today that has the same pitfalls, same obstacles, same predators coming for our kids and the same opportunities for success. What is different is that in a less than 20 year period all of our lives are online now, all of our shit that was once packed in nice little neat closet doors is now out there for others to unpack for us. And I can tell you, one or two rogue agents could unpack some shit in peoples lives on this very board that would make those kids look like saints. I’ve spent plenty of years targeting shit heads around the world so I know how easy it is for people with the right tools to get to these kids. And those tools were NEVER meant for some D bag rogue agent on US soil to go snooping through these kids personal lives to “try” to find stuff.

Again, I understand both sides of this and live my life with an empathy and NOT sympathy ethos. These kids need a little bit of space to have made a mistake, take punishment (which has already happened) and be allowed to come back and compete. Life isn’t always black and white. Its lived in the gray. Some are acting as if they are irredeemable. The only irredeemable actions in this case were done by adults who actually do know the law and purposefully broke the law while violating several kids rights to do so.

You can’t really believe that they didn’t know they aren’t allowed to be gambling on sports.

You make a valid argument. I've said plenty of times I sure am glad I didn't grow up with the ability to broadcast every stupid thing I did in high school and college. Nelson bought himself no sympathy with his various tweets along the way, would have better to remain silent like the rest of his teammates, but I'm not going to lose sleep over any restored eligibility. But wouldn't that be a bite in the ass if this year's suspension results in Cassioppi winning a title next year assuming Kerk decides to move on...smh.

Reactions: NCPsuFan

Students lose eligibility from the NCAA for things all the time. One kid transferred a second time to literally be near a dying relative- lost a year. Losing a year is harsh, but let’s not act like they are getting the Pete Rose treatment. Only the seniors (who you can argue had heard the 30 minute power point plenty of times) lost their last opportunity to compete.

I teach at a community college. They are young adults, not kids. And part of “adulting” is learning accountability for your actions (or lack of action in some instances).

Students lose eligibility from the NCAA for things all the time. One kid transferred a second time to literally be near a dying relative- lost a year. Losing a year is harsh, but let’s not act like they are getting the Pete Rose treatment. Only the seniors (who you can argue had heard the 30 minute power point plenty of times) lost their last opportunity to compete.

I teach at a community college. They are young adults, not kids. And part of “adulting” is learning accountability for your actions (or lack of action in some instances).
And another part is learning the law and Civics and your civil rights. In NO part of my post did I say they shouldn’t be punished. Zero. Their careers should not be ended over a rogue agent.

You make a valid argument. I've said plenty of times I sure am glad I didn't grow up with the ability to broadcast every stupid thing I did in high school and college. Nelson bought himself no sympathy with his various tweets along the way, would have better to remain silent like the rest of his teammates, but I'm not going to lose sleep over any restored eligibility. But wouldn't that be a bite in the ass if this year's suspension results in Cassioppi winning a title next year assuming Kerk decides to move on...smh.
For the record I have ZERO sympathy for Nelson as well. And he’s really not who I’m referring to. His posts are cringe worthy and he’s had his time. But it’s hard to advocate for some and not all although his dad being coach somehow feels more culpable imho.

And another part is learning the law and Civics and your civil rights. In NO part of my post did I say they shouldn’t be punished. Zero. Their careers should not be ended over a rogue agent.
Not being argumentative, but what do you see as a fitting punishment? Wrestlers sit all the time for bumps and bruises. Missing a few matches, or even the first semester, is inconsequential. It’s gotten to the point (unfortunately) that the NCAA tournament is the only thing that counts. Would you have them wrestle but be ineligible for the NCAAs? Their coaches would probably wrestle someone else in their place all season to prep them for the tournament.

Last edited:
The athletes will sue the state of Iowa and definitely win since rights were violated and names defamed. But the NCAA case is different. Universities self report violations so they basically told on themselves. The NCAA didn't get the information from the state it was given by the universities. The NCAA won't change the punishments.
First, no one in this story has been defamed, at least to the extent that word has any legal imoprt. Defamation is a false statement of fact that causes reputational harm. There have been no false statements of fact here.

Second, the athletes may sue but they will definitely not win. In Iowa you can only recover damages for constitutional violations when recovery has been explicitly authorized by statute, which isn't the case here. Perhaps they find a lawyer willing to sue anyway, but the only point of that suit would be to extract a settlement to keep the story out of the headlines. But as a legal matter, the athletes have no legitimate recourse against the state.

The seniors received the same punishment as Paniro Johnson.
From my understanding Paniro was the most egregious in his betting amounts. The others were very minimal amounts. I really don’t want to be the arbiter of truth or of punishment. Just not my expertise nor my place. It’s just my opinion that the world is different now, all of us are adapting to it. And none of us would want the world looking into our closets too deep. And when you throw into it, that the only reason this stuff is known was through illegal spying and probing, along with leading the kids to believe their cooperation meant NO trouble, now I have a problem with it.

First, no one in this story has been defamed, at least to the extent that word has any legal imoprt. Defamation is a false statement of fact that causes reputational harm. There have been no false statements of fact here.

Second, the athletes may sue but they will definitely not win. In Iowa you can only recover damages for constitutional violations when recovery has been explicitly authorized by statute, which isn't the case here. Perhaps they find a lawyer willing to sue anyway, but the only point of that suit would be to extract a settlement to keep the story out of the headlines. But as a legal matter, the athletes have no legitimate recourse against the state.
Are you a lawyer in Iowa ? Since the answer is likely NO, then I’d probably watch with all the definitive grandstanding. Funny how holy everyone seems to be all the sudden. Meanwhile their IP addresses pinging off porn sites at 3 am. And they are praying their wives don’t scour the bank accounts for their misdeeds.

Are you a lawyer in Iowa ? Since the answer is likely NO, then I’d probably watch with all the definitive grandstanding. Funny how holy everyone seems to be all the sudden. Meanwhile their IP addresses pinging off porn sites at 3 am. And they are praying their wives don’t scour the bank accounts for their misdeeds.
Have you ever been an athlete in college? Since the answer is likely NO, then you haven't been through the presentation of things you can't do as an NCAA student/athlete.

Our team had to endure this lecture and it was emphasized that we couldn't bet on sports. If we did and got caught, our career was over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT