145 - #1 Mike Kemerer vs. #2 Max Thomsen
152 - #2 Cenzo Joseph vs. #3 (at 145) Fredy Stroker
160 - #2 Josh Shields vs. #5 (at 170) Joe Smith
170 - Te'Shan Campbell vs. #4 Fox Baldwin
182 - #11 Kellan Stout vs. #2 Myles Martin
195 - #6 Jan Johnson vs. #1 Lance Benick
220 - #3 (at 285) Andrew Dunn vs. #3 Austin Myers
285 - #14 Allan Beattie vs. #1 Zack Chakonis

PA has the higher seed in 5 weight classes while USA is favored in 7.

that's an excellent team for PA ...

the ranking numbers I use are Willie's (Flo's) from last week (i.e., before the PIAAs)

113 - Brown is the top senior in PA, and ranked #8 in the country heading into PIAAs

120 - not a lot of options here, with Lee a soph, Sasso a fresh, and Mueller (Wy. Seminary) a junior. I thought Derek Gulotta (Owen J. Roberts - 6th in AAA) might get some consideration. Pipa came in 4th in AA, so he was the senior that placed highest in PIAA.

126 - another class where the strength is underclassmen (Solomon a soph and Karam a junior). Myers must be getting some kind of allowance as he wrestled 132 at PIAAs, where he placed 2nd in Class AAA

132 - Headlee is the top senior in PA, and ranked #2 in the country heading into PIAAs

138 - Krivus is the top senior in PA, and ranked #1 in the country heading into PIAAs

145 - Kemerer is the top senior in PA, and ranked #1 in the country heading into PIAAs. It's a shame for Duggan, who would be the choice most years, but lost to Kemerer in the Class AAA finals at 145, 3-2.

152 - Cenzo is the top senior in PA, and ranked #2 in the country heading into PIAAs

160 - Shields is the top senior in PA, and ranked #2 in the country heading into PIAAs

170 - Hollingshead was the only senior in PA ranked by Willie (#20), and Campbell beat him in the Class AAA finals. After all Campbell has been through, I'm fully behind his selection. I just hope his knee is OK by Dapper Dans

182 - Stout is the top senior in PA, and ranked #11 in the country heading into PIAAs

195 - Johnson is the top senior in PA, and ranked #6 in the country heading into PIAAs. Kind of nice/sad that his last match will be Dapper Dans

220 - interesting. Jordan Wood is a junior. Buzzy Maines is a senior, and he won the Class AA at 220. Dunn won the Class AAA at 285, though they mentioned that he had bumped up in part to avoid Wood. Willie has him ranked #3 in the country at 285. Dunn seemed more mobile/athletic than Maines, so if he can make weight (with the allowance), this is an excellent selection

285 - If PA doesn't put Dunn at 285, then Beattie (14 - pre PIAA), Bo Spiller (15 - pre PIAA), or Mike Rogers 16 - pre PIAA; (Wy. Seminary) would have been good choices here. Beattie won Class AA, while Spiller lost to Dunn in the Class AAA finals. Any of them would have been good, and since Beattie won his selection is justified. (Plus he's from Burrell, so all things being about equal, Dapper Dan is likely to pick SW PA guys as that can bring butts to seats.)

Really an excellent team being put on the mat by PA.

Tom

actual matchups ...

again, using Willie's (Flo's) rankings from last week

113:
PA: Devin Brown (#8) vs. USA: Jabari Moody (#1)

120:
PA: David Pipa (NR) vs. USA: Elijah Oliver (#10)

126:
PA: Korbin Myers (#14 at 132) vs.USA: Nick Piccininni (#2)

132:
PA: AC Headlee (#2) vs. USA: Jared Prince (#4)

138:
PA: Sam Krivus (#1) vs. USA: Davion Jeffries (#6)

145:
PA: Mike Kemerer (#1) vs. USA: Max Thomsen (#2)

152:
PA: Cenzo Joseph (#2) vs. USA: Fredy Stoker (#3 at 145)

160:
PA: Josh Shields (#2) vs. USA: Joe Smith (#5 at 170)

170:
PA: Te'Shan Campbell (NR) vs. USA: Fox Baldwin (#4)

182:
PA: Kellan Stout (#11) vs. USA: Myles Martin (#2)

195:
PA: Jan Johhnson (#6) vs. USA: Lance Benick (#1)

220:
PA: Andrew Dunn (#3 at 285) vs. USA: Austin Myers (#3)

285:
PA: Allan Beattie (#14) vs. USA: Zack Chakonis (#1)

I'll leave it to others to research how the respective competitors have fared in the past when they faced each other.

Tom

So Johnson will be a Dapper Dan and Big 33. How common is this?

Re: that's an excellent team for PA ...

"Plus he's from Burrell, so all things being about equal, Dapper Dan is likely to pick SW PA guys as that can bring butts to seats."

I think you may be marginalizing some other key factors of selecting a local kid:

1) If a WPIAL kid is "about equal" with another kid, given the strength of the WPIAL, he may be the better choice.

2) If an area kid does go to DD, he is (generally) going to get a lot more vocal support from the fans, so that might give him some emotional help during the match. May be enough to help give PA an edge for an upset.

3) A local kid may have be more comfortable with the venue and area so there is less acclimation stress.

Good question on the football/wrestling combo

Was thinking about Steve Sefter around 1980, but although he was a 2-time state champ, don't think he was in Dapper Dan

Junior Walter from Shikellamy -- wasn't he a good football player, too?

Funny comment on Flo about Joseph-Stroker rematch

Oldfar1 13 hours ago
This could come down to the Last match & I'm betting it will be Freddy - Joseph, Pa wants to Win this match-Up badly {Some in Pa are having a hard Time Dealing with Freddy 2-0 against Joseph} ;)

-------------

Oops!

Look for Cenzo to go 3-0 against Stroker.

Re: Good question on the football/wrestling combo

Holy crap. I was thinking this happened every year or two with one or two of the big guys in the trenches. When you go back to Sefter, that is a generation ago. I was at PSU then. I posted this over in the den and I don't think anyone, including Phil, had any real insight. Of course he is football centric.

surprised there wasn't a match in 2012 ...

at 195, Perry Hills wrestled for PA, at 220, John Rizzo wrestled for PA, and at 285 Averee Robinson wrestled for PA. I'm surprised that none of them were on the Big 33. Hills played football for Maryland after high school. Rizzo played football for Temple after high school, though he has since transferred to Pitt and also switched back to wrestling. Rizzo played in the East-West football game that year. Robinson signed with Temple to play football out of high school, but had to go to Milford Academy for a semester before he enrolled at Temple where he plays football.

Tom

Re: surprised there wasn't a match in 2012 ...

Was Spencer Myers in Big 33 in 2010? He won at Dapper Dan, and was PA defensive player of the year.

another one I thought of ...

but I don't think he was in the Big 33. He wasn't on the initial roster that was announced in January 2010. Frequently, there are a lot of substitutions due to injuries on the Big 33 roster. I can't find the final roster for PA's squad for the 2010 Big 33, so it's possible that he was a replacement but I can't find anything that indicates that he was. He did play in the East-West game that year, and I can't remember if there were limits on the number of all-star games, or some agreement between the Big 33 and the East-West game, but my recollection is that guys that played in one didn't play in the other.

Tom

Tom, wasn't there a pinned thread

with info on the national team? It would be interesting to see their season records (or career records) and their commitment choice.

here ya go ...

click here, then scroll down almost to the bottom where there is a table for the USA ALL-STARS which lists their career records, and their college commitments.

Tom

113 - #8 Devin Brown vs. #1 Jabari Moody
120 - David Pipa vs. #10 Elijah Oliver
126 - #14 (at 132) Korbin Myers vs. #2 Nick Piccininni
132 - #2 AC Headlee vs. #4 Jared Prince
138 - #1 Sam Krivus vs. #6 Davion Jeffries
145 - #1 Mike Kemerer vs. #2 Max Thomsen
152 - #2 Cenzo Joseph vs. #3 (at 145) Fredy Stroker
160 - #2 Josh Shields vs. #5 (at 170) Joe Smith
170 - #13 Te'Shan Campbell vs. #4 Fox Baldwin
182 - #11 Kellan Stout vs. #2 Myles Martin
195 - #5 Jan Johnson vs. #1 Lance Benick
220 - #3 (at 285) Andrew Dunn vs. #3 Austin Myers
285 - #14 Allan Beattie vs. #1 Zack Chakonis

Updated with current FLO rankings. Te'Shan moves into the rankings at #13 and Jan moves up one spot to #5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT