ADVERTISEMENT

Other than our OL probable woes, are we over the negative effects of the sanctions yet?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I tend to think so, and we just need another 2 years to fill some talent depleted holes in the kicking game and the OL to get back to an elite team again.

We have a pretty young team. We have the numbers, but more frosh and sophs than juniors and seniors. Otherwise, were on our way. I'm looking forward to this year and see a lot of potential on both sides of the LOS.

Another 2 to 3 years to be away from sanctions.
1) Certain positions like DT are out of sync with depth
2) In coming personnel are higher ranked than prior classes so younger players will be playing for next couple of years which goes to point 3
3) Incoming freshmen in a lot of positions will have more ability than current players. Will this cause friction in the team? It will be tough to manage and have senior team leadership.
4)To be Top Ten every year you need top talent 3 deep in all positions. (At least close to that)

So 2017 on I expect PSU will be Top Ten year after year.

Last edited:
Gonna be young for a few years which will pay dividends in two to three years....gotta get better on the line and we should be fine. Hack can't be running for his life again this year.

I don't think we are over it yet, given that we still have significantly fewer scholarship players than every other team. That is definitely one thing (of the many) that should've happened once the consent decree was completely nullified - PSU should've been allowed to sign whatever it would take to get back to 85 total scholarship players.

No. It's caused our roster to be laden with underclassmen. We also weren't able to recruit higher quality players for a couple of years. Next year will be more back to normal.

I would think another 2-3 years :) AND after that I think Franklin will have us to where we were 20 years ago :)

I always thought that if Hack stayed, 2016 would be the first year we would be truly competive. Now I'm not so sure. Might be 2018.

I tend to think so, and we just need another 2 years to fill some talent depleted holes in the kicking game and the OL to get back to an elite team again.
No. It's difficult to criticize OB but he didn't use limited scholarships on linemen or LBs. The ones we did get were somewhat lower rated. Players at those positions take a few years to mature so it will take another year or two to get back up to speed.

Like other replies I think we are several years from being over the effects of the sanctions. But we are on the right track no doubt.

What remains of the effects from the CD, as it pertains to the football team:

1 - Extraordinarily young roster
2 - Thin on talent in the upper classes (those recruiting classes were negatively impacted by the sanctions)

The end result is that those positions that are most dependent on numbers and maturity (most notable the offensive line) are still a couple years away from being "normal"
The spots where you can plug talented young guys into the 2-deep (WR, DB, RB) are pretty much back to normal.
The overall roster/talent level will be back to normal once the 2014/2015 classes are in their 3rd/4th years....so you are looking at 2017 or so until things are fully back to a normal baseline.....but each year from now until then should get progressively better.

Reactions: kgilbert78
Four full recruiting classes without sanctions is the earliest reasonable even playing field. That doesn't count the damage done to the quality of those classes because not only did we lose recruits, due to recent performance, but others in the Conference took advantage of it. Emmert and Delany did their work well, with the help of our BOT. Coach Franklin needs our support because he won't be getting much support from the aforementioned conspirators. They aren't going away or changing their tactics.

I would think another 2-3 years :) AND after that I think Franklin will have us to where we were 20 years ago :)
PSU won the B1G in 2005 & 2009. Let's first get back to where we were 6 years ago.

Four full recruiting classes without sanctions is the earliest reasonable even playing field. That doesn't count the damage done to the quality of those classes because not only did we lose recruits, due to recent performance, but others in the Conference took advantage of it. Emmert and Delany did their work well, with the help of our BOT. Coach Franklin needs our support because he won't be getting much support from the aforementioned conspirators. They aren't going away or changing their tactics.

Franklin's first recruiting class finished in the top 25. So lets start with that one.

In order to be a top tier team, you need 4 full recruiting cycles of top 25 classes. We finished #23 in year one, and #13 in year two. With less scholarships available this year, if we can make every scholarship count, and somehow finish around #20 to #25 this cycle, then we will have between 20 and 25 total scholarships available for the class of 2017. If we can finish in the top 15 in 2017, then we would be on track to get back to the top tier of the game, in 2018 or 2019. The worst case scenario would be, not being able to return until 2019, and the best case would be to somehow find enough development and on-field results, to return in 2017. With all of that said, it will not happen during Hackenberg's era, regardless if he returns next year or not.

You may want to do some research.

Why? He's correct. Penn State won the B1G in 2005 and 2008 - although we are technically "co-champions" with Ohio State based on identical conference records even though we won the head-to-head - and we tied with Iowa for second in 2009 with Ohio State being the 2009 outright champion.

We are two years a way. We are thin and young at OL which is being addressed. DT is another area of concern after this season. I believe at the skill positions and secondary we are young with a great deal of depth. We are not that far a way from being a Top 10 team again. We just need to keep up the great recruiting efforts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT