ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Travel & Food ideas

Anywhere in Lubbock, TX that would have the Phillies and PSU football games on the TV this Saturday night?
Phillies game shouldn't be much of an issue since it's a national broadcast and the only baseball game at the time.

Good luck with the PSU game. It is the national ABC game, but A&M and TCU are in the same time slot. And the closest alumni chapter is in Austin.

Probably your best bet is a big sports bar with lots of TVs, arrive early and tip your bartender well.

Reactions: psumacw
Just booked a trip to San Diego for Presidents Weekend. Any food or travel suggestions? @pawrestlersintn mentioned speakeasies. @Psalm 1 guy I know you live about 30 mins away, I would love some local suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Just booked a trip to San Diego for Presidents Weekend. Any food or travel suggestions? @pawrestlersintn mentioned speakeasies. @Psalm 1 guy I know you live about 30 mins away, I would love some local suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
We went to two of the speakeasies, The Grass Skirt (Pacific Beach) and False Idol (downtown). False Idol was highly recommended by @HOCKEYGOD11 and didn't disappoint. Pretty small, so make a reservation, but really cool atmosphere and vibe. When you talk to the host in the main restaurant, you have to wink at them and whisper, "I have a reservation for the place we can't talk about." Do it in your best Tony Soprano voice , and you might get a special table. #2 son also says Raised by Wolves is really cool. His description of the method of entry sounds awesome. Again, make reservations soon.

Trailer Park After Dark is pretty funny, but not a speakeasy. You can sit in one of their grocery carts, while sipping on a PBR out of a brown paper bag. Or, have a seat in one of the tastefully, appropriately decorated trailers.

Food: California burritos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Wrestling theme: Nacho Libre is close to downtown, just off the highway in Mission Hills.
Little Italy: Virtually anywhere. I think you would have to work to find a bad meal here.
Seneca: 19th floor of The Intercontinental Hotel. Again, wasn't there, but #2 says it's really cool. Request an outdoor seat. He says they have good heaters.

Mt. Soledad National Veterans Memorial: great panoramic view of the surrounding area, and a unique memorial, honoring veterans past and present.

San Diego Zoo, one of the best in the country.

Coronado Hotel: one of the things we are kicking ourselves for not going inside. Supposed to be spectacular.

Safari Park: Couple of hour drive. Pretty cool, but on short time would probably do other things closer to town.

Point Loma:
Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery: drive into the cemetery for a sobering experience
Pull into a parking area on the east side of the road for a great view of the Naval yards, San Diego generally, and Coronado. Down over the hill, you might spot SSN-756, the Scranton. Give a wave, if you do.
Cabrillo National Monument and Visitors Center.
Point Loma Tidepools and Ecological Preserve: worth a half hour of your time.
This is gray whale migration season, so keep an eye out to sea.

La Jolla: waterfront is pretty, and you'll probably see some seals and sea lions. If you do go up there, a good place for burritos is The Taco Stand.

Skip the Del and just head to McPhi’s for bloody Mary’s and beers.
Both GIF by Love Island Australia

Mt. Soledad is a great spot and close to La Jolla Shores, Windansea Beach, Torrey Pines Gliderport and Torrey Pines State Beach. Safari Park is actually not too far from downtown San Diego. I would say it is about a 35 minute drive.

Planning my first voluntary trip across the pond(previous trip was courtesy of Uncle Sam) to the Chianti region of Tuscany. Looking for a villa in one of the small towns. Walkable to shops, wine bars, cafes etc. Day trips to wineries etc. Any one done Tuscany like this?
99.jpg

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Planning my first voluntary trip across the pond(previous trip was courtesy of Uncle Sam) to the Chianti region of Tuscany. Looking for a villa in one of the small towns. Walkable to shops, wine bars, cafes etc. Day trips to wineries etc. Any one done Tuscany like this?
99.jpg
We spent a day in San Gimignano and loved it. It was part of a 15 day trip in Italy, of course we loved every part we visited. Our stop at San Gimignano was due to a recommendation from a taxi driver in Florence, it was not on our original itinerary.

99.jpg
I don't have first-hand experience there, so I'd recommend looking into housing in the towns Rick Steves recommends.

His housing recommendations may or may not be your taste -- but his pick of towns is usually very good.

Personally, I would stay in a small town like Greve. You get that small village feel and still have things to do while you're home. There are cafes, restaurants, a great salumeria, and a few pubs.
You can tour lots of areas in Chianti from there. From cities like Florence and Siena, to small villages like Panzano and Gaioli are all quite close.
The villa in the country is very romantic and beautiful, but it's just a place hang out and sleep. You can visit lots of wineries to spend time out in the country.
And just be sure to visit Dario Cecchini's butcher shop and restaurant in Panzano, Meat, meat, and more meat.

Personally, I would stay in a small town like Greve. You get that small village feel and still have things to do while you're home. There are cafes, restaurants, a great salumeria, and a few pubs.
You can tour lots of areas in Chianti from there. From cities like Florence and Siena, to small villages like Panzano and Gaioli are all quite close.
The villa in the country is very romantic and beautiful, but it's just a place hang out and sleep. You can visit lots of wineries to spend time out in the country.
And just be sure to visit Dario Cecchini's butcher shop and restaurant in Panzano, Meat, meat, and more meat.
That is so funny. I was looking at that exact rental on VRBO. That is what I have in mind. Found another one at San Casciano in Val di Pesa.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Congrats on booking what should be an amazing trip! I apologize if this is too much, but here are some of my recommendations:

Hill Towns -
I assume you will take a ride to Siena one day, I've always enjoyed the small hill town of Monteriggioni which is pretty much on the route but never too crowded like San Gimignano. You can walk the medieval walls and take in the views. Its a nice little stop, but like 86PSUPaul mentioned, you should probably try and check out San Gimagnano as it is bigger and an even more "medieval" town that is pretty cool to visit. I just recommend going early or later in the day to try and avoid the crowds, but Tuscany (and much of Italy) has crowds most of the time. If you want a break from Chianti wines, you could also head to Montepulciano which is another pretty town with tons of wineries.

Winery -
I will defer to Bordeaux and others with much better taste for wine recommendations, but I will recommend you head to Sant'Agnese Farm. Book a tasting here, there is so much food, and plenty of wine. It is not overly fancy, but we always come back here when in the area as the food is as lovely as the setting.

Cemetery-
Another site that I recommend (especially if your reference to Uncle Sam meant military service) is the Florence American Cemetery which is not on the scale of Normandy but still worth a stop if you appreciate those types of things and have a vehicle during your stay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT