ADVERTISEMENT

OT: To tell you how watered down the NL playoff race is, . . .

bcspsu

Jun 2, 2001
the Pirates, who actually have played over .500 ball since the All Star break, only have six more losses than the Reds, who are tied for the last NL Wild Card position. It's a shame that the Pirates were absolutely awful from May to the All Star break, because it wouldn't have taken much to actually make the playoffs this season.

the Pirates, who actually have played over .500 ball since the All Star break, only have six more losses than the Reds, who are tied for the last NL Wild Card position. It's a shame that the Pirates were absolutely awful from May to the All Star break, because it wouldn't have taken much to actually make the playoffs this season.
I'd much rather them not make the playoffs...draft higher and people not believing that this team is even decent when they're not. You're right. The NL is horrible this season but the Bucs are worse than horrible.

I'd much rather them not make the playoffs...draft higher and people not believing that this team is even decent when they're not. You're right. The NL is horrible this season but the Bucs are worse than horrible.
I actually think that they could have a season next year like the Reds are having this season, that is perhaps finish in the low 80s in wins. Considering that they basically played the whole season without Cruz and also several pitchers who would've been in the starting rotation or gotten starts, it would be a decent season this year if they win in the mid 70s, which probably will happen.

IMO, baseball will get a lot better when they get back to playing it the way it was for over 100 years. For starters, get rid of the DH. Then scrap that stupid extra inning rule where ypu start with a runner on second. It practically means if you're the home team manager, you have to figure out how to score twice in your half of the 10th inning. You could avoid this by scoring more runs in 9 innings, but why throw a lifesaver starting in the 10th? Let the manager decide what pitcher he wants facing which hitter instead of forcing him to pitch to 3 batters before he can be relieved. Some claim these are done to speed the game up, when I was younger, I did not grow up near a major league ballpark. When I got the chance to go to Philly or New York to see a game, I wanted that experience to last for as long as it could, not get me in and out ASAP, That's robbing young fans like that of a wonderful childhood experience. John McGraw, Connie Mack and other great managers are turning over in their graves seeing what is happening to the game they helped shape.

Reactions: WaylonJ
I actually think that they could have a season next year like the Reds are having this season, that is perhaps finish in the low 80s in wins. Considering that they basically played the whole season without Cruz and also several pitchers who would've been in the starting rotation or gotten starts, it would be a decent season this year if they win in the mid 70s, which probably will happen.
That's fair. I don't think they're as close to being a good team as you do. I think the bad flashes are closer to reality than the mediocre and positive ones. Like their start wasn't remotely representative of what this team is. But I'm also frustrated with them so may be somewhat biased.

That's fair. I don't think they're as close to being a good team as you do. I think the bad flashes are closer to reality than the mediocre and positive ones. Like their start wasn't remotely representative of what this team is. But I'm also frustrated with them so may be somewhat biased.
Even if I believe that they may be able to win 80-82 games next season, I don't believe that that means that they're going to be a good team. Rather, I believe that it means that they will be an average team that has a chance to become a good team. IMO, a good baseball team is one that wins at least in the low 90s.

I'm still very skeptical of the how the Pirates develop their minor league players. It just seems like some organizations' prospects are much more ready for MLB when they are called up. Also, my muted optimism is based on Cruz recovering from his broken ankle, their recent high draft picks like Davis developing into at least competent MLB players, and Skenes helping to anchor a starting pitching staff that could be a strength along with Keller and maybe Oviedo and some others.

Reactions: LandoComando
Even if I believe that they may be able to win 80-82 games next season, I don't believe that that means that they're going to be a good team. Rather, I believe that it means that they will be an average team that has a chance to become a good team. IMO, a good baseball team is one that wins at least in the low 90s.

I'm still very skeptical of the how the Pirates develop their minor league players. It just seems like some organizations' prospects are much more ready for MLB when they are called up. Also, my muted optimism is based on Cruz recovering from his broken ankle, their recent high draft picks like Davis developing into at least competent MLB players, and Skenes helping to anchor a starting pitching staff that could be a strength along with Keller and maybe Oviedo and some others.
Where is the young man playing (what level in minors) that was previously a PSU football verbal? If I recall correctly, his last name is White and he played @ Malvern Prep.

Where is the young man playing (what level in minors) that was previously a PSU football verbal? If I recall correctly, his last name is White and he played @ Malvern Prep.
His name is Lonnie White; he played for Single A Bradenton this summer and hit .276. He was drafted in 2021, so I have to believe that he isn't developing quickly, because you'd think that he at least would've advanced to AA by now. It just takes so long for most of these baseball draft picks to advance; it's probably the hardest sport in that respect.

Last edited:
White was always going to be somewhat of a project. he was drafted on athletic talent, not necessarily yet a great baseball player. Hitting .276 at Single A might be what the Pirates expected....maybe a little lower than expected...... the good thing with being in the Pirates organization is that you can progress quickly due to much of the minor league talent already being promoted to the Major Leagues.

His name is Lonnie White; he played for Single A Bradenton this summer and hit .276. He was drafted in 2021, so I have to believe that he isn't developing quickly, because you'd think that he at least would've advanced to AA by now. It just takes so long for most of these baseball draft picks to advance; it's probably the hardest sport in that respect.
Thank you. I wonder if he will get traded within the minor league system to another franchise or just give it up and try college football? Thanks for the update.

White was always going to be somewhat of a project. he was drafted on athletic talent, not necessarily yet a great baseball player. Hitting .276 at Single A might be what the Pirates expected....maybe a little lower than expected...... the good thing with being in the Pirates organization is that you can progress quickly due to much of the minor league talent already being promoted to the Major Leagues.
Interesting info.

Thank you. I wonder if he will get traded within the minor league system to another franchise or just give it up and try college football? Thanks for the update.
I actually was hoping that he would gravitate back to football and come to PSU, but he hasn't played football in several years now, so I that probably won't happen.

I actually was hoping that he would gravitate back to football and come to PSU, but he hasn't played football in several years now, so I that probably won't happen.
It would be cool if tried to return to football @ PSU. Of course with NIL he might go elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT