ADVERTISEMENT

OT New Dog Thread

Thomas1945

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2018
Okay, now that we’ve beaten the dogs in strollers issue to death. What in hell is wrong with these people that dress their dogs up like they’re going to a fashion show? I see it for Pomeranians and other tiny breeds for some perverted self righteous interest. But what self respecting German Shepherd, Doberman or a hunting dog wants to be dressed like a freak when he goes for a walk?

Don’t give me the wether nonsense, because God gave them a furry coat. And if you leave your dog outside for prolonged periods in really cold weather, you shouldn’t have a dog? Unfortunately that’s a different story. But this dressing them in coats, hats and God forgive booties, for a walk is a sign of a really demented individual.

Okay, now that we’ve beaten the dogs in strollers issue to death. What in hell is wrong with these people that dress their dogs up like they’re going to a fashion show? I see it for Pomeranians and other tiny breeds for some perverted self righteous interest. But what self respecting German Shepherd, Doberman or a hunting dog wants to be dressed like a freak when he goes for a walk?

Don’t give me the wether nonsense, because God gave them a furry coat. And if you leave your dog outside for prolonged periods in really cold weather, you shouldn’t have a dog? Unfortunately that’s a different story. But this dressing them in coats, hats and God forgive booties, for a walk is a sign of a really demented individual.
Some short haired dogs with very little body fat (e.g. greyhounds) would be very uncomfortable on a walk if it's below 32 degrees. I guess you could argue "don't have dogs like that in cold climates" although I feel worse for the huskies and malamuts that are owned by people in warm weather climates.

(for the record, my dog doesn't own any articles of clothing, but is a golden retriever who loves the snow and cold).

But yes, I agree, pets should not be "dress up dolls"

We've got a Bichon Frise who is the nicest dog I've ever seen. She watches TV with us and waits for a dog, cat or owl to come on. She even knows the commercials that will have an animal come on later. She'll jump off the sofa and runs in front of the TV and when that animal appears, starts barking. I am also sure that the reason why taco bell starts with the bell is to get people's dogs barking.

She even knows that when my "Life350" app bell rings to denote my wife is home, she'll run to the door and wait until she drives down the road and into the garage. That can take about 5 minutes sometimes so how she put 2 and 2 together, I don't know. But it reminds me of the bit on The Beverly HIllbilies where the Clampets are eating at the pool table (exclaiming how convenient it is to have the pool cue for shoving food to those who need seconds and pockets for the vittle's bones. Anyway, the doorbell rings and they look around startled. The Jed says, well, I don't know what that is but you might as well go to the door. Everytime that dang bell goes off someone starts knocking on the door a few minutes later.

In any case, my wife and daughter have outfits for her. It is cute. She doesn't seem to mind.

Reactions: Fac
In any case, my wife and daughter have outfits for her. It is cute. She doesn't seem to mind.
How do you know this? Have you ever gotten her opinions? Does she help pick out the outfits, or help color coordinate? 😀😃😄😁😆 My real issue is with large outdoor guard and hunting dogs that are made to look ridiculous on walks. Just one of my “pet” peeves.

How do you know this? Have you ever gotten her opinions? Does she help pick out the outfits, or help color coordinate? 😀😃😄😁😆 My real issue is with large outdoor guard and hunting dogs that are made to look ridiculous on walks. Just one of my “pet” peeves.
pretty-dog.gif

It's called anthropomorphism.

"Is anthropomorphism good or bad?

“Anthropomorphism can lead to an inaccurate understanding of biological processes in the natural world,” she said. “It can also lead to inappropriate behaviors towards wild animals, such as trying to adopt a wild animal as a 'pet' or misinterpreting the actions of a wild animal.”"

It's called anthropomorphism.

"Is anthropomorphism good or bad?

“Anthropomorphism can lead to an inaccurate understanding of biological processes in the natural world,” she said. “It can also lead to inappropriate behaviors towards wild animals, such as trying to adopt a wild animal as a 'pet' or misinterpreting the actions of a wild animal.”"

Beautiful German Shorthair

Reactions: GSPMax
The most in this vein that I'm guilty of is coordinating their collars. Tennesse Jed (rescue mutt from TN) has a Volunteer and a PSU. Scarlet Begonia (rescue mutt from Kentucky) has UK and Rutgers.

They share Grateful Dead, Wake Forest, Dartmouth and Flyers collars. Matching the electric fence colors as precisely as possible is my fashion flair along with their UK and UT leashes- which they are rarely on.

My sister lives in NYC and had a Paris Hilton lap dog who passed after 18 loving years. She was guilty of everything in the stroller thread and here. Spent more on that dogs haircuts than me and my wife combined!

They are indeed our best friends. To each his own.

Reactions: Fac and Obliviax
Some short haired dogs with very little body fat (e.g. greyhounds) would be very uncomfortable on a walk if it's below 32 degrees. I guess you could argue "don't have dogs like that in cold climates" although I feel worse for the huskies and malamuts that are owned by people in warm weather climates.

(for the record, my dog doesn't own any articles of clothing, but is a golden retriever who loves the snow and cold).

But yes, I agree, pets should not be "dress up dolls"
Huskies and Malamutes expell their undercoat in spring or early summer in most climates. Great Pyrenees ???? yikes.

Speak for yourself ... "we" have not beaten the dogs.

We have a rescue ... half rat terrier, and half a mix of bigger dog breeds (lab, golden, rott, g. shepherd, etc.) but it's still tiny ... 25-30 lbs. It refuses to go outside in the rain. It's not a big fan of sub-32 degree temps, either. We have a cable-knit sweater we put on it when it's really cold outside, and that increases his likelihood to go outside and stay outside for a longer walk. Having grown up with a German Shephard, and then a champion bloodline purebred Lab hunting dog, I wasn't a fan of the idea of dressing this poor guy up, but it actually seems to help him. Other than an occasional bandana, that's all I'll allow, however.

Last edited:
Also not a great idea...

Had to, she got hot spots like crazy in the summer. Followed the vet’s recommendation and she lived a long and happy life, so it worked out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT