ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Help Help, I'm being repressed!! "Holy Grail" turns 40

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
LINK

I was having a discussion with my stepson last week about the most quotable films of the past 25 years.

Goodfellas, Anchorman, Big Lebowski . . . but Monty Python takes the cake for the all time title (though I think the pantheon of Mel Brooks films are definitely up there)

One of the funniest, most subversive, most quotable films of all time.

It's obviously not in the past 25 years, but the movie I've quoted through the years, more than any other, is Casablanca. "Here's looking at you kid". "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship". "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." "We'll always have Paris". "Play it Sam." "Round up the usual suspects." "Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time". "I stick my neck out for nobody". And then the back and forth repartee like....Captain Renault saying " Carl, see that Major Strasser gets a good table, one close to the ladies." and Carl responding "I have already given him the best, knowing he is German and would take it anyway". And so many, many more.

Reactions: simons96
It's obviously not in the past 25 years, but the movie I've quoted through the years, more than any other, is Casablanca. "Here's looking at you kid". "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship". "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." "We'll always have Paris". "Play it Sam." "Round up the usual suspects." "Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time". "I stick my neck out for nobody". And then the back and forth repartee like....Captain Renault saying " Carl, see that Major Strasser gets a good table, one close to the ladies." and Carl responding "I have already given him the best, knowing he is German and would take it anyway". And so many, many more.

Julius and Philip Epstein (twin brothers/screenwriters) were Penn State grads :D

Reactions: fairgambit
Animal House. We quote it so often at work that we decided to make a numbered list of the best. That way we could just say the number and save time. We quit in frustration when the list approached 100 entries.

LINK

I was having a discussion with my stepson last week about the most quotable films of the past 25 years.

Goodfellas, Anchorman, Big Lebowski . . . but Monty Python takes the cake for the all time title (though I think the pantheon of Mel Brooks films are definitely up there)

One of the funniest, most subversive, most quotable films of all time.
Has some of my favorite lines ever.

"I got better."

"Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?"

Has some of my favorite lines ever.

"I got better."

"Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?"

Holy Grail is awesome.
The opening scene is one of my all time favorites...bloody peasant.

I agree with the other poster in this "topic" Casablanca has to be #1, its just one awesome line after another.

A couple of my favorites...
“You despise me, don’t you?” “…If I gave you any thought, I probably would.”

“What in heaven’s name brought you to Casablanca?” “…My health, I came to Casablanca for the waters.” “The waters? What waters? We’re in the desert.” “...I was misinformed.”

“What is your nationality?” “…I’m a drunkard.”

“Remember, this gun is pointed right at your heart.” “…That’s my least vulnerable spot.”

Just happened to watch "Lebowski" yesterday; the day I tire of it is the day I'm checking out.

One of my favorite lines from The Big Lebowski. The writers of Better Call Saul are fans of this movie and put some elements of it into the show, like when Mike disarmed the GTA dude with all of his guns, sort of a tribute to Walter Sobchek, and that was that character's non-recognized name!

"He's not *quite* dead yet."

"Let me tackle them single handed, there's only 150 of them."

"The Castle Aaaagggghhhhh". "Aaaagggghhhh?" "Perhaps he was dictating."

"She's got HUGE 'tracts of land'."

"Let's not bicker and argue over 'oo killed 'oo. This is supposed to be a happy occasion."

"On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!"

"He's not *quite* dead yet."

"Let me tackle them single handed, there's only 150 of them."

"The Castle Aaaagggghhhhh". "Aaaagggghhhh?" "Perhaps he was dictating."

"She's got HUGE 'tracts of land'."

"Let's not bicker and argue over 'oo killed 'oo. This is supposed to be a happy occasion."

"On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!"

hahahaha first thing I told my brother about my new girlfriend is that she has huuuuuuuuuuuuge . . . tracts of land! :D

My favorites... "You despise me don't you Rick?" "I'm sure if I gave you any thought I probably would"

"What kind of a man is Captain Renault?".... "He's like any other man only more so"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT