ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chick Flicks

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Don't lie, you love them too. My all time favorite is on tonight. How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. Kate Hudson!!!!

Anyone else man enough to admit their favorite?

Don't lie, you love them too. My all time favorite is on tonight. How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. Kate Hudson!!!!

Romeo + Juliet....Danes and DiCaprio
Notting Hill....Grant and Roberts
Jerry Maguire
As Good As It Gets
Romancing The Stone

Yeah, I enjoy chick flicks too....

Jerry Mcguire
Notting Hill
Pretty Woman
Sleepless in Seattle
When Harry Met Sally
Failure to Launch

I was dragged kicking and screaming to see The Notebook with the wife when it came out. I thought the story itself was a good one. Always was a James Garner fan. Hard to admit but I enjoy that movie. - Now excuse me, I have to go out and cut some wood, work on the car, and slam a six pack or two...................

Say Anything...

My wife and I just saw Far from the Madding Crowd, pretty good, too short as opposed to the 1967 version being too long. But if you're wondering if this is worth catching, it is, just as long as it's not just you and your buddy Pete.

My younger daughter's go-to comfort film is the 1995 miniseries Pride and Prejudice. I've seen that multiple times, doesn't get old, Jennifer Ehle kicks ass in every scene she's in.

Holiday, the 1938 Grant-Hepburn flick, is really pretty damn good. It's on TCM often and, really, it's not something you should miss.

Sunrise is one of the great silents, also a don't miss. Also on TCM every now and then.

Rob Reiner's The Sure Thing was John Cusack's breakthrough role. It's awkward at times but is also a very honest film, very touching.

If you have Hulu Plus and can take subtitles, you should catch Ingmar Bergman's Smiles of a Summer Night, perfect film.

Last edited:
HEAT

the scene where Robert DeNiro protects his true love Val Kilmer during the vicious gunfight in downtown L.A. . . . makes me weep every time I see it.

Reactions: eidolon21
Yes, and the final moments of Reservoir Dogs, with Harvey Keitel and Tim Roth.

OMG I am weeping now, such a tragic affair. :(

Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames in Pulp Fiction . . . when they finally open up to each other emotionally . . .

Are you OK?

nah I'm pretty f**kin far from OK

I have to say, "Caddyshack" had some emotional moments for me :)

Reactions: simons96

Not a fan of chick flicks, but I guess you could classify this as one. And whenever it's on, I feel compelled to watch.

...almost anything with Deborah Kerr...

...From Here To Eternity w/Burt Lancaster...
...An Affair To Remember w/Cary Grant...
...Beloved Infidel w/Gregory Peck...

Reactions: fairgambit
Six Days Seven Nights...I always wanted to be stranded on an Island with a crazy, bisexual, younger, blonde chick.

Shakespeare in Love and Sliding Doors.

The former was a great screenplay. We always see the FINAL art piece: painting, play, music, whatever. But, we rarely learn HOW such a wonderful piece of art is inspired and created. Shakespeare in Love does a wonderful job explaining how Romeo and Juliet was written (albeit, a work of fiction).

Sliding Doors touches upon the age old debate of fate versus free will. The movie works well blending parallel story lines.

Two of my favorite "Chick-Flicks"

A nice FOREIGN "chick-flick" I recommend is : SIDEWALLS About a woman who finally finds her "Waldo". A must see CHICK-FLICK

To quote Stifler from American Pie, you guys need to have your balls reattached!

Is American Pie a chick flick?

:D

Reactions: simons96
Ok i'll do it . . ....... Fifty Shades of Grey (misery).

Pulled in bank the first couple of weeks. One of the worst movies i ever saw. The dear wife fell asleep. A guy at the office said it was good date night movie and now i am questioning his motive.

Wife and I rented that once some years ago. I didn't understand it and fell asleep. Not knocking it, but it was a snorer for me. Wife didn't have any further info the next day. She musta zonked out too. What happened, anyway?
I don't know, Victor. Audrey Hepburn. George Peppard. Moon River. Ah, Hepburn alone was enough for me.

Can't believe no one has mentioned one of the most successful chick flicks ever at the box office.
Top Gun.

Reactions: ralpieE
Ten Things I Hate About You
Never Been Kissed
She's All That
Sweet Home Alabama
Nothing Hill

How To Lose A Guy, awful.

Fifty Shades works great!

My favorites from the wife's collection:
Dan in Real LIfe - highly underrated IMO. (Steve Carrell, Juliette Binoche, Dane Cook, etc)
Walk the Line - Great performances by Phoenix and Witherspoon
French Kiss - If you can get past Kevin Kline's French accent. I'm a big fan so I like the movie.

I was dragged kicking and screaming to see The Notebook with the wife when it came out. I thought the story itself was a good one. Always was a James Garner fan. Hard to admit but I enjoy that movie. - Now excuse me, I have to go out and cut some wood, work on the car, and slam a six pack or two...................

The Notebook is a good movie and I have no shame admitting it. I'll add a couple to the list: Moulin Rouge and You've Got Mail.

Whenever it's on, I have to watch it and it always wets my eyes. "Beaches" with the Divine Miss M, Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey.

So I started watching this one night with the older chick I was dating last year... anyway never finished it. It seemed interesting at first though.

I have a problem with the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's." They drastically changed some key parts from the book for the movie, including the the ending. In the book, the Paul & Holly do not get back together (not that they were ever in a romantic/sexual relationship in the book). In the book, Holly takes off to South America. However, they had to give it a Hollywood ending.

Much like "The Natural." In the book, he takes the bribe and throws the game. For the movie, he refuses the money and hits the game winning home run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT