ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone have experience with Keurig home coffee maker (model)?

ericstratton-rushchairman

May 20, 2005
Dallas TX
I'm right on schedule... adopting new technology nearly a decade after its been introduced. Wondering what results/feedback you fine folks may have with the Kuerig system. 1.0 vs 2.0 models?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: simons96
I'm right on schedule... adopting new technology nearly a decade after its been introduced. Wondering what results/feedback you fine folks may have with the Kuerig system. 1.0 vs 2.0 models?

Thanks in advance

we have one in the break room at work. I am a huge coffee drinker, and this machine is considered mission critical for me on Sunday mornings.

I enjoy the convenience but . . . I've yet to find a brand that tastes as good as what I make at home with my regular coffee maker. I hate the Starbucks brand, very bland. Donut Shop is pretty good.

We got one as I won one in a company raffle. Was never going to buy one, but now that I have it, I like it. I have found some "off brand" coffee providers that were very good (one was a Kona blend). 1.0, BTW. Now I only use it a couple of times a week, but it works well in our house as my wife does not drink coffee. This way, I do not have to make an entire pot.

Thanks in advance
The 2.0 has a couple of differences - most cosmetic. It will allow a larger pod to actually brew a mini-carafe of coffee (I think 4 X 8 oz cups) ....

With that being said, the 2.0 has a built in DRM system that will only allow "Keurig Approved" (ie brands they co-pack) to brew. The DRM system is activated by a light pink band that outlines the outer diameter of the k-cup lid. What this means is that certain brands of coffee, or generic type coffee K-Cups, will not work on the 2.0. There is a work around for the DRM - https://www.gourmet-coffee.com/Freedom-Clip.html

The 1.0 will brew all single cup k-cup pods, even the generics. There are some brands of coffee using a mesh type capsule. This alows more coffee to be packed into the capsule, which will give a heartier cup.

The Keurig K-Cup offers great convenience. I have one for when I need a quick cup. My favorite K-Cups are Peet's (they are more expensive - you need to check the number of k-cups per box - some are 10, others 12 etc).

True coffee affociandos however will find that due to the limited coffee throw in most K-cups, that the overall quality is OK, but will not reach the quality you see with a quality drip brewer (like a MoccaMaster: http://www.moccamaster.com/us/) or extract when using a French Press.

Thanks in advance

I've been using a Cuisinart Keurig for about 4 years now and would probably give it a B grade. The coffee is not as good as what you'd get in a percolator but the main reason I got it was convenience and being sick of cleaning out a coffee pot with grounds/filters/etc.

The 2.0 has a couple of differences - most cosmetic. It will allow a larger pod to actually brew a mini-carafe of coffee (I think 4 X 8 oz cups) ....

With that being said, the 2.0 has a built in DRM system that will only allow "Keurig Approved" (ie brands they co-pack) to brew. The DRM system is activated by a light pink band that outlines the outer diameter of the k-cup lid. What this means is that certain brands of coffee, or generic type coffee K-Cups, will not work on the 2.0. There is a work around for the DRM - https://www.gourmet-coffee.com/Freedom-Clip.html

The 1.0 will brew all single cup k-cup pods, even the generics. There are some brands of coffee using a mesh type capsule. This alows more coffee to be packed into the capsule, which will give a heartier cup.

The Keurig K-Cup offers great convenience. I have one for when I need a quick cup. My favorite K-Cups are Peet's (they are more expensive - you need to check the number of k-cups per box - some are 10, others 12 etc).

True coffee affociandos however will find that due to the limited coffee throw in most K-cups, that the overall quality is OK, but will not reach the quality you see with a quality drip brewer (like a MoccaMaster: http://www.moccamaster.com/us/) or extract when using a French Press.

Do you work for Kuerig in their sales department? That was quite the info.

Ours is sitting on a rack in the basement storage area. We gave up on it and returned to a Bunn.

It will probably travel to State College with our son this fall.

Do you work for Kuerig in their sales department? That was quite the info.
I do a tremendous amount of consulting work for the coffee industry.... Food Science degree from PSU...

And with that being said - not to start another "coffee making" debate, but percolators produce the worst coffee... they over extracted which produce bitter notes....

Reactions: jim cummings
Kuerig is convenient for a quick cup of coffee...beyond that there is not much more to say. Like some other posters said, I have yet to find a K-Cup that makes a 'good' cup of coffee and have tried a lot of them threw the years. Some our definitely better then others, you just have to find one that you think is decent. In general, even the extra dark bold is about average strength at best if you are somebody that likes strong coffee.. It is also relatively expensive unless you wait for the good sales or buy in very large quantities.

Keurigs are great for quick cups every now and then.

But, the pods are much more expensive than ground coffee. Plus, only God knows how long that stuff has been sitting before it's "podded" and then you drink it.

There's no replacement for freshly ground coffee. Personally, I think Keurigs are way overrated, although I have the mini model on my desk at work. Other than quickness.....there's really no benefit, IMO. Fresh ground doesn't take all that long, and it tastes much better.

Own three K-cup machines in three different locations. Two Keurig's and one Mr.Coffee. It's convenience in a one or two coffee drinker house. Love the selections. Dunkin Donuts just went to grocery stores and McDonald's McCafe has as well. Just saw Krispy Kreme addition. If your coffee is bitter use filters and clean every few months (they make a cleaning solution). The Mr. Coffee only makes 2 cups before refilling. On football weekends we have to bring out Bunn for full house. Also if cost of coffee is an issue I have purchased Kirkland Breakfast Blend (Costco) at I believe under 50₵/cup.In summary, it's perfect for the one cup of coffee in the morning when you only need one or two cups. As an aside, if I just need a caffeine fix, I use REV. Drink hardy my friend!

TERRIBLE coffee, just TERRIBLE. If you care about the flavor of your coffee, almost anything else is better. If you like your coffee to taste like plastic, Keurig is just the thing. And if your coffee is tasting like plastic, that can't be good for you can it?

If you have to have the convenience of a pod system, the one to get is something using the Nespresso system. Those make pretty good (and sometimes very good) coffee, though the pods are quite expensive.

For home, my recommendation would be to get a good quality cone-drip machine like a Bonavita which brews at a proper temperature.

I understand Keurig for office applications. They eliminate the mess and safety problems of having drip coffeemakers in an office setting. But for home I don't see them at all.

I've noticed that the mesh types I've used do give a rather nice cup of coffee.

Here's my contribution. An article from yahoo entitled "23 K-Cups Ranked By a World Class Barista". I have it saved in my favorites.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/23-k-cups-ranked-by-a-world-class-barista-104790798571.html

Bought my mother one for Christmas last year then bought my wife one after she saw my moms.

This is an outstanding link. Wife and I had one of these at your rental on Cape Code last month and I went with Dunkin Donuts which was pretty good. I'm just so sick and tired of filter and coffee grains. Plus I am drinking more coffee at night and a single cup solution is appealing.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE EXCELLENT INPUT.

we have one in the break room at work. I am a huge coffee drinker, and this machine is considered mission critical for me on Sunday mornings.

I enjoy the convenience but . . . I've yet to find a brand that tastes as good as what I make at home with my regular coffee maker. I hate the Starbucks brand, very bland. Donut Shop is pretty good.

we get green mt courtesy of the office, if anything I prefer their breakfast blend. I'll have to try Emirils Bold . . .

If you prefer their breakfast blend, don't waste your money on Emeril's Bold.

Emeril's is a much, much stronger coffee. Breakfast blends are typically very weak and lightly roasted.

This is an outstanding link. Wife and I had one of these at your rental on Cape Code last month and I went with Dunkin Donuts which was pretty good. I'm just so sick and tired of filter and coffee grains. Plus I am drinking more coffee at night and a single cup solution is appealing.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE EXCELLENT INPUT.

The link lost all credibility when it put Green Mountain's Kenya AA at #1.

That skunk piss does such a disservice to Kenya-sourced coffee.....it doesn't taste remotely similar and is quite disgusting.

Pacific Bold from Costco if you like a robust coffee. Some folks still use a percolator? Really?

Thanks in advance
I have a Keurig Platinum model and love it. I live alone and the convenience of making one cup at a time, plus the varied products you can buy
works for me. To me the coffee is fine, plus tea , hot chocolate and flavored brands. Like anything else, you can ask ten people for an opinion
on Starbucks, and half will say it's great and the others say it sucks. All my friends have Keurigs and basically like them.

If you are looking for single serving coffee makers there are other solutions out there that let you use K-cups and also make the coffee of your choice using a single serving reusable cup.

I looked at the Keurig's and went with the other and like it very much. It was also much cheaper. mine is a Cuisinart.

Good point. Kuerig is also convenient to make tea and hot chocolate and flavored coffees. So there is a bonus in having a choice of essentially 15 or 20 different types and flavors of coffee/tea, etc.. that you cannot get with ground coffee makers. But if you are just looking for a decent cup of stronger flavored coffee, Kuerig is going to be a disappointment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT