ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State Dual

Starocci is absolutely going scorched earth on the college world this year. This is going to be fun to watch.
There's always that style matchup issue, but I can't say I'd be very surprised if Carter ends the season with the highest bonus% in PSU, if not NCAA history. He and AB are at 100% now--Aaron hasn't made a 3rd period yet. Both weights obviously have guys who on paper have a great chance of holding a decision, if not squeak out a win against these guys--but no one in NCAA wrestling has the combination of mindset and ability of Carter Starocci.

There's always that style matchup issue, but I can't say I'd be very surprised if Carter ends the season with the highest bonus% in PSU, if not NCAA history. He and AB are at 100% now--Aaron hasn't made a 3rd period yet. Both weights obviously have guys who on paper have a great chance of holding a decision, if not squeak out a win against these guys--but no one in NCAA wrestling has the combination of mindset and ability of Carter Starocci.
I really really hope Starocci vs Gabe happens at CHA this year. Please, please, please, give us Starocci with extra motivation against a guy trying to make his mark (and with the ability to do it) in front of a rabid crowd.

Starocci vs Washington this year - has there ever been a TF in 30 seconds?

I chalk Bernie's performance up to a few things:

1). Aside from Max I don't know if Cael's methods can take full effect in 1 season let alone in less that 3 months.

2). Bernie has training bookends looking to be 4ers battling for the Hodge. For all we know his confidence is shot. I don't know if he has had a successful takedown with either in the room. Maybe he is getting countered 90% of the time against two of the very best. It's plausable. He clearly is "way" too cautious against highly ranked kids. One potential downside of being in the best room in the world, is one can begin to question his effectiveness. How can you not without some strong mental discipline, and fully buying into the process?

3). He is a one trick pony on offense for sure, if the sweep single isn't there it looks like he has no backup plan whatsoever.

A lot can change in the next two months and I hope the switch flicks so to speak and he starts to get 'it'. I am sure Cael is all over it. If this is what we get with Bernie we are looking at a solid AA which is great for us fans and for points at nationals, but I am sure his goals are set higher. In any case it should prove enjoyable to watch his continued development, maybe a nice duck under here and there or a power double, or a go behind for instance. I hope against some lesser opponents Cael encourages him to get multiple takedown with none coming from the sweep single just so we can all see it happening.
To what extent, if at all, should CS and AB "help" Bernie? I certainly don't think it's their "responsibility," but as teammates, should they? My guess is that the PSU room, being the best room in the country, is a dog-eat-dog world. If you want to be there, then you better be able to hack it, and it's no one's responsibility other than the individual's to get the "help" or coaching that's needed. My other guess is that the coaching staff, while there to support and coach, also require the wrestler to take the responsibility of coming to them or others seeking assistance. Just curious for thoughts.

For comparison, the best bonus years:
Zain = 92.9%
Jason = 92.6%
Bo = 90.0%

Carter will likely end the year with 22 matches. (He's 5-0 with 9 duals remaining + 3 matches at B10s + 5 matches at NCAAs.) For him to beat 2017 Zain, he can have max 1 regular decision.

It's possible, but holy crap.

To what extent, if at all, should CS and AB "help" Bernie? I certainly don't think it's their "responsibility," but as teammates, should they? My guess is that the PSU room, being the best room in the country, is a dog-eat-dog world. If you want to be there, then you better be able to hack it, and it's no one's responsibility other than the individual's to get the "help" or coaching that's needed. My other guess is that the coaching staff, while there to support and coach, also require the wrestler to take the responsibility of coming to them or others seeking assistance. Just curious for thoughts.
If you think the teammates aren't helping each other on a daily basis, I don't know what to tell you. Likewise the coaches.

Zain = 92.9%
Jason = 92.6%
Bo = 90.0%

Carter will likely end the year with 22 matches. (He's 5-0 with 9 duals remaining + 3 matches at B10s + 5 matches at NCAAs.) For him to beat 2017 Zain, he can have max 1 regular decision.

What about DT? 32 bonus wins in 34 matches in 2014 (94.1%). 30 in 32 in 2012 (93.8%).

Zain = 92.9%
Jason = 92.6%
Bo = 90.0%

I wasn’t saying it’d be easy, only if anyone today can do it…

• Haha
Reactions: PSUwrestling
What about DT? 32 bonus wins in 34 matches in 2014 (94.1%). 30 in 32 in 2012 (93.8%).
Yeah, I thought DT had our record. And Cael was like 96% one year? I was slyly trying to suggest 100% is on the table without having it say it.

I wasn’t saying it’d be easy, only if anyone today can do it…
That is insane growth from being a guy that was winning matches without takedowns as a frosh to a guy that is bonusing everyone he faces. Cael can’t coach though, just recruit.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Good catch.

Math is unchanged: 94.1% x 22 = 20.7 --> Carter would need to bonus 21 out of 22 matches to beat Taylor's mark.

Reactions: mcpat
I really really hope Starocci vs Gabe happens at CHA this year.
I’m with Goggles, I seriously doubt Brands will allow this to happen, in the dual meet. If it happens, it will most likely be at BIG or NCAA’s. Then does Brands employ the Ryan strategy, of forfeiting to send Gabe to the consolation bracket?😉

Did I hear correctly that Byers said that PSU was sending guys to the Edinboro Open on Sunday?
I hope we do. It's not the toughest tourney out there, but a few guys could get some experience. Last year Pierce made the finals. Guessing some teammates could crash on his parents' couches.

Weather permitting, of course.

If you think the teammates aren't helping each other on a daily basis, I don't know what to tell you. Likewise the coaches.
Who do you think we are, Iowa?

Really shows up when they join the RTC and get pushed out by the shiny new toy. Like TG, you’ve got to get out of the “bubble”

Reactions: danoftw and El-Jefe
When I watched the Davis bout, I thought I was watching something from the 70's or 80's. He looked like one of those PA machines that we used to turn out regularly in those days: concise little moves, old fashioned doubles, relentless riding; he even threw in a tilt. And he sat out and stayed on his butt for a while. You saw a lot of that in the '60s, but not much since then.
It was a nostalgic bout for me, and the kid's a freshman.

I canceled right after the match-didn’t trust myself to remember 😅
I accidentally forgot to cancel my BTN+ subscription after wrestling season one year and it happened to be the year before Flo started carrying B1G matches. When Flo later stopped carrying the B1G matches I decided to resume (or so I thought) my BTN+ subscription only to find out I had been paying for it for almost two years to the tune of over $300. That was an expensive mistake on my part!

Davis is also a 2x Fargo champ (Cadet 2020, JR 2021).

But in 2022 he lost 2x to fellow Michigan wrestler Caden Horwath, then took 4th at Fargo -- and lost to Horwath again there. That's probably what cost him the publicity. He was not a top 20 recruit at the end, IIRC was around 30th.

Davis' finalists were Michigan, MSU, OKST, OU, and the Goofers -- and then Cael swooped in and got him. So he was sought after by some good programs.

Looks like Cael has brought out the guy who won Fargo JR as a HS soph.
El-Jefe, I am amazed how much solid wrestling information you bring to this Board, especially considering how prolific a poster (over 30,000 posts) you are! <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/mGK1g88HZRa2FlKGbz" width="480" height="400" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

165- Mesenbrink vs. Olguin

1st period:
Mesenbrink TD 3-0
Olguin escape 3-1
Mesenbrink TD 6-1
Mesenbrink 4 backs 10-1
Mesenbrink rides him out (2:03 RT advantage)

2nd period:
Mesenbrink down
Mesenbrink escape 11-1
Mesenbrink TD 14-1
Olguin escape 14-2
Mesenbrink TD 17-2

Mesenbrink TF Olguin 17-2 (3:44)

That was impressive!
MM has DT/Zain/Bo sh$t going on. For all the talent on the horizon this kid feels like he might be the best the next generation.

I accidentally forgot to cancel my BTN+ subscription after wrestling season one year and it happened to be the year before Flo started carrying B1G matches. When Flo later stopped carrying the B1G matches I decided to resume (or so I thought) my BTN+ subscription only to find out I had been paying for it for almost two years to the tune of over $300. That was an expensive mistake on my part!
I signed up for Flo once years ago, thinking I had the monthly option. When I realized it was not an option, I called customer support and was assured they would refund the money. They never did, despite numerous follow ups.

I’m with Goggles, I seriously doubt Brands will allow this to happen, in the dual meet. If it happens, it will most likely be at BIG or NCAA’s. Then does Brands employ the Ryan strategy, of forfeiting to send Gabe to the consolation bracket?😉
The thing is that you know Gabe really wants it. He’ll be lobbying hard for it. He knows this year is his only shot to beat Starocci, and he is the kind of guy who wants to beat the best to be the best.

Davis is also a 2x Fargo champ (Cadet 2020, JR 2021).

But in 2022 he lost 2x to fellow Michigan wrestler Caden Horwath, then took 4th at Fargo -- and lost to Horwath again there. That's probably what cost him the publicity. He was not a top 20 recruit at the end, IIRC was around 30th.

Davis' finalists were Michigan, MSU, OKST, OU, and the Goofers -- and then Cael swooped in and got him. So he was sought after by some good programs.

Looks like Cael has brought out the guy who won Fargo JR as a HS soph.
This feels like a lot of points in March Davis and the coaches are making happen by being outstanding. It must truly suck for the other coaches trying to keep up with PSU. Also damm! It was good to see Davis win like that!

That is insane growth from being a guy that was winning matches without takedowns as a frosh to a guy that is bonusing everyone he faces. Cael can’t coach though, just recruit.

Only a buffoon could truly believe that. As you point out, Starocci is a perfect example, but there are several others just on THIS TEAM, not to mention some of the guys over the last decade that made huge gains largely because of the team's mentality and the competence of this coaching staff.

Reactions: creamery freak
I was surprised that in his 6-0 Finals win against Caldwell in 2014 he seemed fairly content in the third period to not build on his 5-0 lead going into the third period (6-0 w/riding time) to get the Major. I don't think it was that big a deal to David, but a season-long 97% Bonus rate would have also looked great to us mere mortals : )

I find it hilarious that amongst all the AJ hype - and the hyperventilating about it - a low key kid with glasses appears to be the best catch in the portal by far.
Not just AJ. The Hawks fans were hyperventilating about us pulling the carpet out from under them for Truax and Nagao, and in the midst of all that hand wringing, it was quietly announced that Mesenbrink basically portaled himself to PSU without the promise of even a starting spot (and with Levi and Facundo with multiple years remaining that he’d have to compete with) just to be in this room. Wow, what a steal.

Go back further and only the first TD was worth two points. No cutting a guy to take him down again; just trading one’s if you do.

But a fall has always been a fall.
At the time I thought that was the stupidest rule in wrestling. America whined that our great wrestlers had to essentially learn a new sport to wrestle freestyle. But they make a rule that discourages takedowns. I had that thought in 8th grade (1961), so it didn't take a rocket scientist, but a rules committee?

Reactions: mcpat
Not just AJ. The Hawks fans were hyperventilating about us pulling the carpet out from under them for Truax and Nagao, and in the midst of all that hand wringing, it was quietly announced that Mesenbrink basically portaled himself to PSU without the promise of even a starting spot (and with Levi and Facundo with multiple years remaining that he’d have to compete with) just to be in this room. Wow, what a steal.
Iowa coping script 1 - Mesenbrink isn’t beating Kennedy
Iowa coping script 2 - we’d never recruit over Kennedy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT