ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Training Center coming to UPENN/Drexel...

tjb249

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2006
Wanted to share with you guys a brand new Olympic Training facility that has been established in Philadelphia. UPENN and Drexel University have teamed up to create the first ever Olympic Training facility involving two universities. I attended a meeting this past Wednesday night involving Roger Reina (former UPENN HC and President of the BoD), Clint Matter (VP of the BoD), Alex Tirapelle (current UPENN HC), Matt Azevedo (Drexel HC), Brett Matter (Former UPENN NC), and bunch of high school coaches from SE PA and South Jersey. The OTC Head Coach, Brian Dolph, was also present. Dolph was a 2x NC and 3x All American from Indiana and a World and Olympic Team Trials qualifier.

Still in its infant stage, they reached out to some of the top high schools in the area for ways to expand. This is an awesome way to grow the sport on the Eastside of PA, and I'll share more with you guys when I know more. They are trying to make Sundays the day to bring very good/elite high schools level wrestlers to learn and wrestle with college and Olympic athletes. Obviously this is in response to PSU's OTC, Ohio State's OTC and Arizona State's. It's a great resource to help grow our high school kid's skills and we (Malvern Prep) will definitely be bringing some our kids to that room for training.

More information can be found on their website here:

http://pennsylvaniartc.org/

For those of you who don't know (and being that I'm on a Pennsylvania message board, that probably means most of you do), Penn and Drexel are literally across the street from each other. It's roughly a four-block walk from the Daskalakis Athletic Center (Drexel's home facility) to The Palestra. Kudos to both programs for teaming up in this manner.

For those of you who don't know (and being that I'm on a Pennsylvania message board, that probably means most of you do), Penn and Drexel are literally across the street from each other. It's roughly a four-block walk from the Daskalakis Athletic Center (Drexel's home facility) to The Palestra. Kudos to both programs for teaming up in this manner.

4 blocks. Not even close. It's barely a block unless one of them have a new gym. We wrestled them back to back in 2003 (I think) and we parked at Penn and walked the very short block to the Drexel gym.

Tom, not sure why the quote function worked this time when I didn't even select it. I didn't select it because when I tried it previously it didn't work. Very weird.

Was using Google Maps...according to that, you have to cross Market Street, Chestnut Street, Walnut Street, and 33rd Street. Besides, it's certainly a shorter trip between the two than it is for either of them to go to, for example, State College, Pennsylvania...that was my point. :)

This is so petty but that is today. I am now looking @ the Drexel facility and played @ the Palestra. What in heaven's name is the difference. Ridiculous

Tom, not sure why the quote function worked this time when I didn't even select it. I didn't select it because when I tried it previously it didn't work. Very weird.

Not sure as well, NoVa. It's one of the features I've had intermittent problems with since the format change. I assumed it was a browser issue (I do need to upgrade mine), but perhaps it's more than that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT