ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Qualifier in Istanbul, 5/9-12

Forgive me Lord. I checked for updates a few times during Mass.

Boom GIF
No more BOOM memes…we’ll all think Rutgers signed another top 200 recruit!

I remember being on a shuttle ride to airport after Zain’s last NCAA title and some Iowa fan said she just loved Zain. She said that if there was one PSU wrestler she would want on Iowa’s team it would be Zain. She then cited his calm, mature response after a Russian wrestler sucker punched him shortly after Zain had beaten him. Acted like nothing had happened. Great representative of our team—always has been. Pure class!
A lot of Iowa fans are no different than ours, and their fan base has tons of knowledge and great wrestlers. They are in the wilderness coaching-wise right now, but in several years that will change. I expect Spencer to win gold in Paris, and then the pressure on Iowa to put hooks in their favorite son will be enormous. I'd hate to be Tom Brands.

Your Olympian, Zain Retherford!
1. Nick Lee is his brother from another mother.
2. Pretty much said this is his last hurrah
3. Had great words for Cody.
4. It seemed Jordan was the spy on other opponent matches and provided important intelligence.
5. It was strange to hear Zain and realize he wasn't a 19 year old kid. He is almost 29 with one child in the fold and another on the way. His wife is his rock. Great for him.

LOL hey bruce when Zain has the guy flat with an arm bar and half nelson I think the bottom guy is the staller!well till he gets pinned that is!

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
What does the Olympic FS training schedule look like at State College? Planning a 3-day trip to campus and Horseshoe Curve likely in July (it would have to be early July at the latest, i think, since Paris begins July 26) and would like to see if I could peek in on practice.

What does the Olympic FS training schedule look like at State College? Planning a 3-day trip to campus and Horseshoe Curve likely in July (it would have to be early July at the latest, i think, since Paris begins July 26) and would like to see if I could peek in on practice.
IDK but would recommend calling Monday morning to check on the team schedule.

In the past, they've conducted team training at Colorado Springs.

Often on overseas trips there's an acclimation camp to beat jet lag, but I wouldn't worry about this so much for the Olympics. The Opening Ceremonies are 7/26, but wrestling starts on 8/5 and men's freestyle on 8/8.

Wonder who the guys are taking as training partners? Zain says Conaway was his training partner but NLee is with him, too. Who is rolling with Dake, Brooks, and Snyder?

Reactions: railbirrd
Where is Line Mountain? Any of you guys from there?
Herndon PA is one of the towns in the district. I have family there, my grandparents owned a farm for a long time there.

My father went to Mahanoy Joint High School, which merged with Treverton to become Line Mountain. My aunt was a school bus driver for Line Mountain for a long time.

Where is Line Mountain? Any of you guys from there?

The entire SW corner of Northumberland County -- nearly everything between Sunbury and Millersville, and from the Susquehanna River almost all the way to Shamokin. Or for people less familiar with Central PA: about 45 min straight north of Harrisburg, on the same side of the river.

It's a forgotten corner of PA. Middle of nowhere rural -- the 3 biggest "towns" (Trevorton, Herndon, Dalmatia) probably combine for under 2,500 people. Very few people even pass thru there unless visiting family or a HS event -- the roads are far slower than across the river (N/S) or Rt. 61 (E/W), and sadly it's kinda run down, not particularly scenic (with one exception -- Rt. 147 southbound near Dalmatia has a nice downhill view of the river).

Also the roads are really bad in the winter, not that I've ever, say, scared the snot out of my wife on Rt. 147 while unable to go above 30, just to avoid mall traffic on the day after Christmas.

The HS is on Rt. 225 just south of the split from Rt. 147, near Herndon. It's a pretty big district -- I had a friend from there who lived 30 min from the HS (driving, not bus).

Last edited:
IDK but would recommend calling Monday morning to check on the team schedule.

In the past, they've conducted team training at Colorado Springs.

Often on overseas trips there's an acclimation camp to beat jet lag, but I wouldn't worry about this so much for the Olympics. The Opening Ceremonies are 7/26, but wrestling starts on 8/5 and men's freestyle on 8/8.
@railbirrd

With occasional exception, practices at Rec are not open like they used to be—something that stuck after Covid, AFAIK. As of before trials, NLWC practice starts at 1, but you can’t go in and sit on the bleachers anymore.

The entire SW corner of Northumberland County -- nearly everything between Sunbury and Millersville, and from the Susquehanna River almost all the way to Shamokin. Or for people less familiar with Central PA: about 45 min straight north of Harrisburg, on the same side of the river.

It's a forgotten corner of PA. Middle of nowhere rural -- the 3 biggest "towns" (Trevorton, Herndon, Dalmatia) probably combine for under 2,500 people. Very few people even pass thru there unless visiting family or a HS event -- the roads are far slower than across the river (N/S) or Rt. 61 (E/W), and sadly it's kinda run down, not particularly scenic (with one exception -- Rt. 147 southbound near Dalmatia has a nice downhill view of the river).

Also the roads are really bad in the winter, not that I've ever, say, scared the snot out of my wife on Rt. 147 while unable to go above 30, just to avoid mall traffic on the day after Christmas.

The HS is on Rt. 225 just south of the split from Rt. 147, near Herndon. It's a pretty big district -- I had a friend from there who lived 30 min from the HS (driving, not bus).
I travel down through there every two to three weeks from Lewisburg to Tremont. Your description is spot on. And, we've added Penns Tavern to our restaurant list from time to time. Pretty nice on the back deck overlooking the river.

Watched all of Zain's matches in a row. Was really struck by how he never stopped moving, especially given the weight cut. 65kg had proven to be too big a cut a few years back, and the last chance qualifier is a nasty gauntlet with a deep field. But he made that weight two days and wrestled seven matches against much tougher oppponents than you'll see at the Pan Ams. And through all of them he was in constant motion--level changes, direction changes, nonstop hands, etc., and hitting crisp, well-timed shots. What he did this weekend is exactly what he'll have to do in Paris. He also got a feel for Ochir, who he may have to go through again. Just a great tournament from Zain, couldn't be prouder.

I travel down through there every two to three weeks from Lewisburg to Tremont. Your description is spot on. And, we've added Penns Tavern to our restaurant list from time to time. Pretty nice on the back deck overlooking the river.
I've been thru there dozens of times over the years (though a lot less recently) and had no idea it even existed.

Looks really nice inside ... and on the deck if (like everywhere along the river) you don't forget to bring bug spray.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Watts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT