ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina fires CD Mock

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
Coleman Scott named interim coach pending a coaching search.

LINK

The timing is kinda odd. The season has been over for 2.5 months, and Scott is in the middle of the World Team Trials. Makes you think something else is going on here.

He has been very outspoken about his son's troubles at UTC and (related) the hot topic of rape accusations being tried by campus hearings instead of the criminal court system. Gotta wonder if he crossed some line, and UNC had enough.

He has a point. The mere accusation of sexual assault is enough to get somebody kicked off of campus. Sexual assault should be handled by the police.

The timing is kinda odd. The season has been over for 2.5 months, and Scott is in the middle of the World Team Trials. Makes you think something else is going on here.

The timing is baffling, to say the least.

Many UNC fans grumbled about CD, and even non-fans frequently joked about how few coaches did less with their lineup. If the UNC administration wanted to address those concerns, then the time to do so was right after Nationals. Making the move 2.5 months after the season, and 2.5 weeks before offers for the 2016 class can go out, makes absolutely no sense to me. It does, at a minimum, cause one to wonder if there were other reasons for the change.

CD was a PA state champ in high school, and a national champ at UNC. He was coaching at his former high school when his former coach at UNC convinced him to come back to Chapel Hill, and basically become the coach in waiting. He actively recruited in PA (last time I saw him in person was at a PA Regional competition, checking out some of the talent). He did pretty well early on at UNC, and he made a good bit of effort to work with the high school coaches in NC to improve the in-state talent.

I felt for his family and him with the issues that Corey has faced at UNC, and then at UT-Chattanooga. I never spoke with CD about either situation, so I can't add anything beyond what has been in the papers.

Switching gears a bit, I wonder how Cary Kolat feels right now. He was the assistant coach at UNC until a little over a year ago (April 28th, 2014) when he became head coach at Campbell University. If he had waited another year, he might have become the interim coach at UNC.

would have to think if cary wanted the job and there was mutual interest, it wouldn't be hard for unc to get him.

There were a number of events that led to his firing;

1) An ongoing federal investigation into UNC's handling of sexual assault cases.
2) Mock's outspoken attempts to clear his son's name.
3) A local tv news piece that was unfavorable.
4) A Daily Tar Heel article that was unfavorable.
5) Responses to the article calling for his dismissal.

Seriously, Jammen? Unless you're Bubba Cunningham, you don't know any of that, certainly because the press release made no mention of his outspokenness, conduct, etc., only to his on-the-mat performance. While the timing does point to that being the case, you simply don't know that for sure.

That being said, a post that kids parents should not consider sending their kids to college could, presumably, make recruiting a fair bit difficult.

Pirate, all five are facts. Connect the dots and read more than just press releases. WNCN is reporting that the AD said "he made the decision to fire Mock because a coaching change was in the best interest of the program moving forward."

FWIW his blog seems a bit much, maybe UNC just had enough http://www.coreymock.net/
Wow, nice pull. I read a few posts & skimmed a bunch of other titles. While I think he has a decent/defensible point, generally, about the importance of debate / conversation / dialogue when it comes to these serious & important issues, I think a lot of his points & certainly a ton of his language suggests a tone-deafness that just does not fit as we (as a Society) continue to navigate these difficult issues.

Discretion being the better part of Valor is hardly ever applied to modern discussion of important social issues, but it should be. Shouting never works. Diplomacy & delicacy have far more success.

(asterisk b/c wrestling board: I don't think those things by themselves (indelicacy, poorly-chosen language) warrant somebody be fired from their job. I also don't know jack shiz about all the facts or actions that preceded this action by the Uni).

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Coleman Scott named interim coach pending a coaching search. LINK The timing is kinda odd. The season has been over for 2.5 months, and Scott is in the middle of the World Team Trials. Makes you think something else is going on here. He has been very outspoken about his son's troubles at UTC and (related) the hot topic of rape accusations being tried by campus hearings instead of the criminal court system. Gotta wonder if he crossed some line, and UNC had enough.

As Jason Bryant discussed on TheMat board, Mock's comments are catnip for Title IX activists who will jump on any reason to hammer a sport like wrestling. Mock figuratively added gasoline to that fire. I follow swimming and an ex Olympic swimmer, Nancy Hogshead, has made a name for herself in injecting herself into almost every situation where men's college sports, in her mind, need to be taken down a notch. She's quite the Title IX Jihadist.

As an aside, Mock's kid seems to end up in trouble wherever he goes.

Last edited:
As Jason Bryant discussed on TheMat board, Mock's comments are catnip for Title IX activists who will jump on any reason to hammer a sport like wrestling. Mock figuratively added gasoline to that fire. I follow swimming and an ex Olympic swimmer, Nancy Hogshead, has made a name for herself in injecting herself into almost every situation where men's college sports, in her mind, need to be taken down a notch. She's quite the Title IX Jihadist.

Oh, boy, you weren't kidding. If anyone wants to see her dumpster-fire level of discourse, just check out Willie's Twitter feed.

After a while, I fully expected Willie or Jason Bryant to say: "She really seems to care. About what I have no idea."

images

She is an absolute disgrace. The fact that lunatics like her are actually given a platform is extremely sad

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
She is an absolute disgrace. The fact that lunatics like her are actually given a platform is extremely sad
No doubt. Total nightmare. She is the Al Sharpton of Title IX discourse.

Edit - great minds think alike! I was just now looking (after my original reply) at Willie's Twitter feed and saw Board Visitor PapaBearSlim make the same analogy. I swear I didn't copy him.

Last edited:
North Carolina's Projected Lineup:

125- Tyrone Klump. Former Nazareth wrestler. Brother just won a title. Could surprise
133- Troy Heilmann. Solid journeyman. I'm wondering what the plans are for Joey Ward. Can he get down? If so I think he could make some noise. Or if Headlee is good enough perhaps he starts. Will be a solid weight no matter who goes.
141- Evan Henderson. Think the lineup and his title chances are better if he's here.
149- Christian Barber. Another solid kid. 75 wins
157- Jacob Crawford/Robert Henderson/Jack Clark. Assuming best man takes it. Leaning Clark here
165- Ethan Ramos. Returning AA
174- JM Staudenmayer. Former PIAA Champ, has had some injuries. Former R12 as a freshman. Think he could make noise on his last go
184- Alex Utley. Another solid senior
197- Chip Ness. Solid prospect.
HWT- David Woody/Cory Daniel. Whoever wins the spot, leaning towards Daniel who was a two-time MD State Champ (and 4X NHSCA AA)

Pretty solid lineup

KidNittany, my assumption (no inside knowledge) is that Henderson and Barber will bump up to make room for Ward at 141.

With a lot of false cases in the media (UVA, Columbia, Duke), you'd think one would be wary before casting judgement on a young man in these types of cases. It should have went straight to Law Enforcement. If I had a son about to start college, the riot act would definitely be read because it is hostile out there.

The university stood innocent until proven guilty on its head and the judge said not so fast "improperly shifted the burden of proof and imposed an untenable standard on Mr. Mock to disprove the accusation."

Reactions: Jaybird319
I will preface this by saying that I did not read CD's blog, but heard there were things said in it in poor taste. That being said, I found this particular snippet of the article to be spot on.

" … Everyone wants women to be protected better -- everyone!" C.D. Mock continued. "Let's find a way to do that which doesn't create an environment where young men's lives are ruined because we took away their rights. Both of these are worthy objectives and the only reason people can't get together on them is because of ridiculously stubborn people who refuse to care about anything except satisfying their personal agendas, at whatever cost."

There needs to be coherent due process in these cases instead of what is becoming the typical emotional response.

With a lot of false cases in the media (UVA, Columbia, Duke), you'd think one would be wary before casting judgement on a young man in these types of cases. It should have went straight to Law Enforcement. If I had a son about to start college, the riot act would definitely be read because it is hostile out there.
This is a great theory, unless you're where I am right now: Washington DC.

These campus kangaroo courts were pushed onto schools by the DOJ. And DC tied schools' federal funding to court implementation.

If I were an attorney, I'd make a fortune following campus incidents. Between these cases and the many free speech curtailments, there's a fortune to be made. And, honestly, I doubt this insanity stops until someone punches back hard.

This is a great theory, unless you're where I am right now: Washington DC.

These campus kangaroo courts were pushed onto schools by the DOJ. And DC tied schools' federal funding to court implementation.

If I were an attorney, I'd make a fortune following campus incidents. Between these cases and the many free speech curtailments, there's a fortune to be made. And, honestly, I doubt this insanity stops until someone punches back hard.

I don't want to get too political but there is a long game being played here. If I were part of the fraternity (or sorority) system, I would be very careful. As for "free speech" on campus, I have been reading many articles where even the professors are starting to rail against the speech codes...many whom supported it in the first place in the 90s but its now being turned inward towards them and how they present their lectures.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT