ADVERTISEMENT

Nominate your favorite movie comedies

Forgotten so far - "WHEN HARRY MET SALLY"
That's really an enjoyable flick, they make a sort of inane idea work decently, you get a few good laughs.

For me the old screwball comedies, such as The Awful Truth, Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday (Trying to describe a character played by Ralph Bellamy, "You know, he looks like that actor, Ralph Bellamy.") hold up better than the classic Keaton and Chaplin comedies. If you have a couple of hours you should catch Chaplin's shorts from when he was at Mutual, Easy Street, The Adventurer, The Immigrant, all classic. (Chaplin, recognizing that he could not improve from these films, moved on to longer films; I look forward to seeing The Kid more than I do City Lights or Modern Times, as well as Keaton's The General, great films all. The Gold Rush is special too.)

I'm partial to Duck Soup; the mirror scene always works.

Spy is hysterical.

Last edited:
Reactions: mn78psu83
My favorites that come immediately to mind are in alphabetical order:

Animal House
Caddyshack
Death at a Funeral (British version)
Dr. Strangelove
Hannah and Her Sisters
Modern Times
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
My Cousin Vinny
Repo Man
The Big Lebowski
The Princess Bride
There's Something About Mary
This is Spinal Tap
Used Cars

Hannah and her Sisters is a dark comedy/drama and The Princess Bride is as much an adventure film as a comedic one. Nevertheless, I think both fit the category.

Vacation(original)
Caddy shack
Old School
Wedding Crashers

on a side note, Wet Hot American Summer has achieved cult comedy status. and it does boast an impressive list of comedic stars (Paul Rudd, Molly Shannon, Amy Poehler, Bradley Cooper, Janeane Garofalo, cast members from "The State", etc) but Chris Meloni just OWNS that film as Gene, the disoriented Vietnam vet/cook for the camp.

I finally finished the new Netflix series with the same cast, 14 years later, playing even younger versions of themselves . . . a bit uneven, but EVERY scene with Meloni (especially his fight with guest star Jon Hamm) had me in stitches.

OK, showing my age. But you did ask for input:

1. Young Frankenstein
2. Airplane
3. Murder by Death
4. It's a Mad ... World
6. The Monty Python films
7. The Peter Sellers Pink Panther films
Airplane for sure.

First Jive Dude: Shiiiiit, maaaaan. That honky muf' be messin' mah old lady... got to be runnin' cold upside down his head, you know?
[Subtitle: GOLLY, THAT WHITE FELLOW SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM MY WIFE OR I WILL PUNCH HIM]
Second Jive Dude: Hey home', I can dig it. Know ain't gonna lay no mo' big rap up on you, man!
[Subtitle: YES, HE IS WRONG FOR DOING THAT]
First Jive Dude: I say hey, sky... subba say I wan' see...
Second Jive Dude: Uh-huh.
First Jive Dude: ...pray to J I did the same-ol', same-ol'!
[Subtitle: I KNEW A MAN IN A SIMILAR PREDICAMENT, AND HE ENDED UP BEING SORRY]
Second Jive Dude: Hey... knock a self a pro, Slick! That gray matter backlot perform us DOWN, I take TCB-in', man!
[Subtitle: DON'T BE NAIVE ARTHUR. EACH OF US FACES A CLEAR MORAL CHOICE]
First Jive Dude: Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em...
First Jive Dude/Second Jive Dude:...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!
[Subtitle: EARLY TO BED, EARLY TO RISE, MAKES A MAN HEALTHY, WEALTHY AND WISE]
First Jive Dude: COL' got to be! Y'know?
[Subtitle: HOW TRUE!]
First Jive Dude: Shiiiiit.
[Subtitle: GOLLY]

Animal House
Caddyshack
Dr. Strangelove
Hannah and Her Sisters
Modern Times
My Cousin Vinny
Repo Man
The Big Lebowski
The Princess Bride
This is Spinal Tap
Used Cars

Hannah and her Sisters is a dark comedy/drama and The Princess Bride is as much an adventure film as a comedic one. Nevertheless, I think both fit the category.
Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Bananas
Take the Money and Run
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Anchorman
This is Spinal Tap
Best in Show
Office Space
Caddyshack
Animal House
Talladega Nights

For starters...

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Having given it some thought I have to say the three greatest laugh-out-loud scenes for me are from Duck Soup, The Gold Rush, and Stir Crazy (when Gene Wilder hunts a fly, oh my god, hysterical).

Last edited:
Reactions: simons96
Having given it some thought I have to say the three greatest laugh-out-loud scenes for me are from Duck Soup, The Gold Rush, and Stir Crazy (when Gene Wilder goes hunting for a fly, oh my god, hysterical).

Silver Streak is hilarious as well. the scene in the train station bathroom is classic.

That's really an enjoyable flick, they make a sort of inane idea work decently, you get a few good laughs.

For me the old screwball comedies, such as The Awful Truth, Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday (Trying to describe a character played by Ralph Bellamy, "You know, he looks like that actor, Ralph Bellamy.") hold up better than the classic Keaton and Chaplin comedies. If you have a couple of hours you should catch Chaplin's shorts from when he was at Mutual, Easy Street, The Adventurer, The Immigrant, all classic. (Chaplin, recognizing that he could not improve from these films, moved on to longer films; I look forward to seeing The Kid more than I do City Lights or Modern Times, as well as Keaton's The General, great films all. The Gold Rush is special too.)

I'm partial to Duck Soup; the mirror scene always works.

Spy is hysterical.
Glad you added the Marx Brothers and Buster Keaton. If you have a minute or 9 here is the chase scene from "Seven Chances"

Not wishing to repeat any:

The Three Stooges
Hot Shots Part Deaux
Father of the Bride (Spencer Tracy's version)
Looney Tunes movies
A lot of the animated kids movies these days are actually quite funny.

Not wishing to repeat any:

The Three Stooges
Hot Shots Part Deaux
Father of the Bride (Spencer Tracy's version)
Looney Tunes movies
A lot of the animated kids movies these days are actually quite funny.
My wife and I once rented South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut on the recommendation of some other old fuddy duddy. We were howling. I thought Ratatouille was en excellent animated comedy.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Anyone a fan of the Wallace & Gromit shorts and feature length films?

Animal House
Caddyshack
Dr. Strangelove
Hannah and Her Sisters
Modern Times
My Cousin Vinny
Repo Man
The Big Lebowski
The Princess Bride
This is Spinal Tap
Used Cars

Ruthless People is the funniest movie I ever saw. I also love some older comedies, such as Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstien, Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man, The Marx Bros. in Night at the Opera, and Day at the Races. Others are private Parts, Foul Play with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn, and See No Evil, Hear No Evil, with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder.

Ruthless People is the funniest movie I ever saw. I also love some older comedies, such as Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstien, Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man, The Marx Bros. in Night at the Opera, and Day at the Races. Others are private Parts, Foul Play with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn, and See No Evil, Hear No Evil, with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder.
Gene Wilder sure shows up a lot in this thread. What a great comedic actor.

Excellent list. Only you and one other person mentioned Some Like it Hot. Great call on WC Fields. Million Dollar Legs is one of the funniest movies many have never seen. Man on the Flying Trapeze - same. Most people have seen him as Egbert Souse in the Bank Dick or with Mae West in My Little Chickadee. She gets the best laughs with her deliveries in that one.

Flower Belle Lee (Mae West): [reading off the blackboard] “‘I am a good boy. I am a good man. I am a good girl.” What is this, propaganda?

Wayne Carter: I think you could turn a man’s head very easily if he wasn’t careful.
Flower Belle Lee (Mae West): Well, there’s no fun in being too careful.
Wayne Carter: Aren’t you forgetting that you’re married?
Flower Belle Lee (Mae West): I’m doin’ my best.

Jeff Badger: I wonder what kind of a woman you really are.
Flower Belle Lee (Mae West): Too bad, but I can’t give out samples.
WC Fields quotes:
"Whilst traveling to Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and had to live on nothing but food and water for several days."
“Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.”
"There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
Never try to impress a woman, because if you do she'll expect you to keep up the standard for the rest of your life.
“I fell in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink. That's the only thing I'm indebted to her for".”
"Women are like elephants to me. I like to look at 'em, but I wouldn't want to own one."
"Marry an outdoors woman. That way, if you have to throw her out into the yard for the night, she can still survive.”
"I'd rather have two girls of 21 years each than one girl at 42."
"Anyone who hates animals and children can't be all bad".
For his tombstone he wanted this: "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia".

Animal House
Caddyshack
Dr. Strangelove
Hannah and Her Sisters
Modern Times
My Cousin Vinny
Repo Man
The Big Lebowski
The Princess Bride
This is Spinal Tap
Used Cars

1.) Young Frankenstein
2.) Airplane
3.) Blazing Saddles.
4.) Holy Grail
5.) High Anxiety
6.) Little Miss Sunshine.

IMO, one movie stands head and shoulders above the rest. Like many guys my age, I have essentially the entire script committed to memory. Here is one of many classic scenes:

I find it unfathomable that nobody mentioned Dumb and Dumber (1994) which is, in my opinion, the best written and executed comedy, ever.

Reactions: qkalakeviawpt
Airplane! (I am serious........and don't call me Shirley!)
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Shaun the Sheep (If you haven't seen this, do!)
Duck Soup (Don't look now, but there's one man too many in this room, and I think it's you.)
Horse Feathers
A Night at the Opera (I'm a sucker for anything Marx brothers)

I see a lot of Mel Brooks but no mention of "History of the World, Part 2." "Hey Jocephus !"
Napolean Dynamite (more tongue in cheek, but amusing)
Superbad (the unedited, raunchy version)
This is the End (fictional poke at Hollywood types, laugh out loud stuff)

I see a lot of Mel Brooks but no mention of "History of the World, Part 2." "Hey Jocephus !"
I've only seen Part 1.

"It's good to be the king!"

"Wait for the shake."

Reactions: simons96
You're right....part 1. For some reason I thought Mel Brooks made a part 2 without a part 1.

"The jig is up !"......."And gone !"
I was still an undergrad when part 1 showed up on HBO. I remember watching it and laughing out loud with my friend and his father. Mel Brooks and Harvey Korman really had the shtick down.

National Lampoons Vacation
Animal House
Christmas Vacation
Elf
The Hangover
Old School
Office Space
Airplane

Glad someone brought up Local Hero, wonderful film, unique, such a goodhearted film. There are a lot of really good films being put out here in this thread, Dr. Strangelove is every bit as good as people say.

Local Hero was so underrated, LJ. I would have never seen it if not for buying the Straits' Live Alchemy which then made me interested in seeing the movie from the song. Loved it. Worth a watch at least once a year. Knopfler's soaring score nails it down at the end.

Reactions: LionJim

I like History of the World Pt. 1 and think its pretty funny but when I compare it to Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and even
High Anxiety its #4 in that list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT