ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Thoughts

I think most donors are consumer oriented businesses that hope to get a return on their "investment" by having the players promote their products. I don't think the money is coming from places like PPG or US Steel.

I'm sure a fair amount comes from collective sponsored events like lunch with Franklin and autograph sessions with players. Fanatics are willing to pay for that stuff.

I assume it also comes from wealthy individuals who don't have anything better to do with their money. Over the years people like Phil Knight (Oregon), T. Boone Pickens (OK St), and John Tyson (AK) have given $millions to their universities. It's historically gone towards buildings which are a legacy. I don't know how many want it to go to pay players. But isn't NIL supposed to be in exchange for work? Can it just be a gift to players?

I get that, but that's not the scenario I was responding to. I was responding to a post about CEOs giving out corporate shares in their companies. Phil Knight can give whatever he wants out of his own personal accounts, cash or stock or Jordan 1s or camels, giving stock options or stock grants through Nike would be different.

I get that, but that's not the scenario I was responding to. I was responding to a post about CEOs giving out corporate shares in their companies. Phil Knight can give whatever he wants out of his own personal accounts, cash or stock or Jordan 1s or camels, giving stock options or stock grants through Nike would be different.
Agree. Getting the BOD approval to issue shares to college athletes would be quite difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT